Marine Corps Marathon
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 24m 42s
Overall Rank = 19874/20642
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1496/1524
Pre-race routine:

Coffee, water, Apricot Cliff Bar. Met down in the lobby with several others from our run group. Easy walk over to the Pentagon. Milled around a bit, took some snap shots.
Event warmup:

Waited in-line for the porta-john. Felt great, watched the sun come up and kept warm under a 1.8Mil garbage bag!
Run
  • 6h 24m 42s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 14m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out leaving Arlington and onto Spout Parkway with a great park and then across the Key Bridge and around the George Town reservoir. Drank about 10oz's of water/electrolyte just before every water stop. I also drank a bit at the water stops. Felt, pretty damn good and loved the weather and course. Headed into the Mall where the landmarks were and was still feeling good, enjoying the landmarks and then moved onto Potomac Park. The pace has been between 11:45 and 12:00. At mile 15 I started to sweat a bit and noticed I was breaking down and I started panicking because this is where I started to break down 2 years ago. I managed to hold it somewhat together until I got onto the bridge. Decided to try and get myself together by walking a mile or so on the bridge. Should of ate and drank while on the bridge, but didn't! I felt totally drained and was getting annoyed at myself for not starting to run again. I wanted to run just to get it over with, but energy was zero. A funny damn thing happen to me after mile 20 on the bridge. This chipper lady asked if I had a cell phone. Yes, I always carry it for emergency purposes. She wanted to borrow it to call the people that were going to pick her up. I was kind of out of it, but I said sure. She kept trying to call people, but no one seemed to answer. I was cranky and this wasn't helping. Finally, someone answered and she told them how bad she felt, her knees, her hips, her feet, I was thinking all that feels pretty damn good on me, but I am just damn drained and a bit light headed! She made it sound real bad! She finished her call gave me back the phone. I said to her, have a good finish! And then she took off like a rocket! I am thinking run, run after her! Her body mechanics are killing her mine are good. But, all I could do was watch her fade off and others pass me. I continued to walk and Crystal city sounded like a great party, but I was rather depressed about my situation and didn't pay much attention. I now noticed I was with walkers. Struggled the rest of the way to finish.
What would you do differently?:

Don't know.
Post race
Warm down:

Ate some pretzels and sat on the grass next to the Iowa Jima monument and called Janet to let her know I was good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Have no idea! Did the same training as the rest of the group who all finished between 4:30 and 5:30.

Event comments:

Great race I just didn't perform as I would of liked.

Last updated: 2007-04-25 12:00 AM
Running
06:24:42 | 26.2 miles | 14m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 1496/1524
Overall: 19874/20642
Performance: Bad
Course: Great course cities, parks, monuments. Don't miss this run if you're a runner!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes