General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Music players might be banned from WRM and Cowtown Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-11-03 7:28 AM

User image

Subject: Music players might be banned from WRM and Cowtown

On channel 8 last night (DFW), they had a story saying that music players may be banned for runners at White Rock and Cowtown.  They site safety...like in the Chicago Marathon, they say people couldn't hear the urgent news.  Actually, I heard that people were chosing to ignore...

I think this rule has been in effect for a while, just not enforced.

Don't know about the DRC Half's rules.  But I will be with music on Sunday, DQ or not.

Runners are told to tune out

Group's ban on music players applies to White Rock marathon

12:00 AM CDT on Saturday, November 3, 2007

By KIMBERLY DURNAN / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected] / The Dallas Morning News
Linda Leavell contributed to this report.

Can you Run the Rock with no rock?

The governing body for running's ban on headphones and portable audio players during sanctioned races means no iPods at Wellstone's Dallas White Rock Marathon on Dec. 9.

USA Track and Field spokeswoman Jill Geer said the change is "fundamentally a safety and liability issue."

"When runners are competing in a race, they need to be aware of their surroundings for their safety and others," she said. "Our rules are in place to ensure a fair and safe competition."

White Rock race director Marcus Grunewald echoed Ms. Geer, noting that with 13,000 participants on the course, runners must be aware of their surroundings. And they must be able to hear officials giving instructions in case of an emergency, he said, citing last month's heat-shortened Chicago Marathon as an example.

"Look what happened in Chicago. That's a good example of why people should not wear iPods because people didn't know what was going on," Mr. Grunewald said. "It took longer to get the word out."

Mr. Grunewald said USA Track and Field also banned headsets because they may give elite athletes an unfair competitive advantage if, for example, they can get messages from their coaches about split times or an advancing competitor.

But although race directors acknowledge that the decision is primarily meant to ensure safety, they also note that it is extremely difficult to police.

"We're not going to proactively enforce the rule. We will make announcements that people can be disqualified per the USA Track and Field ruling," Mr. Grunewald said.

He said the governing organization will have five to 10 officials around the course who may notify runners that they can be disqualified if they do not remove a music device.

And if a runner lodges a protest against another's behavior on the course, White Rock officials will consider whether the offending runner had an audio player in deciding whether to make a disqualification, he said.

He said that in his 10 years with the race only one protest had been filed. And that was when music devices were permitted.

"We will not be heavy-handed in enforcing it," said John Conley, race director for the Feb. 17 AT&T Austin Marathon, which draws 11,000 runners. "It's more of a practical matter. I don't know how I would enforce it. We are not equipped to tap someone on the shoulder and tell them they need to get rid of their iPod."

He said that runners at a marathon in Minnesota were asked to turn in their music devices at a clothing drop where personal items such as car keys and dry clothes were being left. Mr. Conley said he did not intend to be responsible for thousands of expensive audio devices.

Triathlon officials have banned music players for about a decade, using time penalties ranging from two to six minutes as a deterrent.

"We have a disciplined and regulated sport," said Jack Weiss, race director for Euless-based Ironhead Race Productions. "Our athletes don't even try wearing headsets."

Mr. Weiss said one race official per 100 entrants is assigned to look for the devices and mark the penalties. He said he also makes the rule clear in race literature and announcements before the race.

"I tell them, 'The Rolling Stones may have trained you for this race, but now you are on your own,' " he said.

Elite runners usually do not listen to music because they are concentrating on winning, said Melisa Christian, a Dallas runner who has qualified for the 2008 Olympic Trials.

"In race conditions, it's not safe because you do need to be aware of your surroundings at all times," she said. "You really need to be in tune with your body and rhythm. If you have music clouding that, you are not going to run as well as you would otherwise."

Karen Littlejohn, 41, of Little Elm participates in marathons to finish, not to race, and finds that music helps push her toward the finish line.

"It's very motivating to have it, especially if you are running by yourself," she said.

Ms. Littlejohn, who ran the Chicago Marathon until the course closed, said the music did not affect her ability to hear instructions from officials.

"They had bullhorns, and everyone around me was in mass panic anyway," she said. "I keep it low enough where I can hear."

Even high-performance runners occasionally like to listen to some tunes while they work out.

Ms. Christian, 30, said she listens to John Mayer during an "easy" training run.

"I like it on easy runs because it helps me to not think about running," she said. "I like to daydream and enjoy the day. But I don't do it on hard runs because it's a big distraction."

Mr. Grunewald noted that White Rock organizers have arranged for at least 40 bands to perform along the course, so runners won't have to go far without musical accompaniment.

"We're wasting our time," he said, "if everyone's going to be wearing iPods."

Staff writer Linda Leavell contributed to this report.

2007-11-03 9:10 AM
in reply to: #1035985

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-11-03 12:07 PM

Pro
Texas
Subject: RE: Music players might be banned from WRM and Cowtown
I planned on doing the half without my iPod anyway because I don't want to chance being DQed on my first half-mary.
2007-11-05 9:49 AM

Expert
Wylie, TX
I thought the ban was always a rule from the beginning? I saw it when I first registered for the race a long time ago. I don't see what the big deal is, running and triathlons are individual sports, you shouldn't need the help of an ipod to finish a race. I agree with what Jack Weiss said in the article. You're on your own. Not to mention of course the safety issue. I have had people wearing headphones cut me off before and almost cause accidents during races because they couldn't hear me coming beside them.
2007-11-05 1:44 PM

Master
McKinney, TX

I wouldn't want music interfering with the experience of the race. There's nothing like the sounds of thousands of feet hitting the pavement, hearing the breathing of the person running next to you, or hearing a little kid screaming at you to run fast.

Then again, I don't train with music either. I like the solitude and quiet a 5am run gives.

2007-11-24 12:36 PM

Just to comment on this I am new to this forum and was reccomennded to it by some others in the Runnersworld tri forum. I ran the St. Jude's half and they have the ban stated at the beginning for insurance and safety reasons. Since it was my first half, I thought they would enforce it and did not want to be disqualified. I showed up race morning only to find thousands of others with MP3 players. They can say they will ban them but think logically how would they enforce it. I mean all you would have to do is take off the headphones before the finish line. I will be wearing mine in the White rock half 2 weeks from now.

2007-11-24 1:53 PM

Champion
the colony texas

Do Race directors get some type of insurance policy to cover the event, or is there something when they apply for the permits??  I think most races have always said that mps/ipods are not allowed but it's never been enforced much..  

I'm just curious if after the chicago marathon that the RD's are a little more concerned with their liability about the race 

2007-11-24 3:02 PM

In early November, I wrote the RD of the White Rock to get his view on this subject.

He reminded me that this was a USAT&F rule and "not a rule that the Dallas White Rock Marathon Board developed."  He went on to say that while many people speed while driving, not everyone gets a ticket (or needs one) for doing 60 in a 55 zone. 

In between the lines he seemed to be saying - without saying - that they will not DQ you for having one.

People definitely have strong opinions on each side of this issue.

2007-11-24 3:06 PM

Veteran
The Colony, Texas, USA, Earth
Being a proponent of training with music, I feel that if a RD has rules in affect of not permitting personal music players, then I shall adhear to their rules. If, by chance, someone listenting to said device "cuts me off" or something of that nature, I'll kindly trip their back foot behind their front foot and shrug my shoulders and continue on. :-)

See you all at the race.
2007-12-02 1:22 AM

Expert
Plano, TX
Subject: RE: Music players banned from WRM...unless you choose to run with music
Taken from Wellstone's official WRM website under, "Top 10 race day tips."

#7. If you choose to run with music, please be aware that our official policy is that anything that could impede a participant's hearing is not allowed. Quite a few of the streets will be open to traffic in lanes adjacent to the lanes for runners. Stay safe and aware of your surroundings.

It doesn't sound like they are bringing out the metal detectors to sniff out the rogue iPod'ers. I will keep the last sentence of their "rule" paramount, but I plan on bringing the noise. It will be a race-time decision.

Then again... taken from the same site under FAQ's:

Are headsets, MP3 players, iPods, etc. allowed on the course?
Our official policy is that as a USA Track & Field sanctioned event, we will comply with all USA Track & Field rules and regulations for our event. As such, all types of audio player or similar devices (MP3 and iPod players included) are not allowed. One area of special importance where we strictly enforce this policy is through the starting area and as you approach the finish line. In an event with 13,000+ people, it is very important that you be aware of your surroundings both in front of and behind you, and your hearing plays a crucial part. USA Track & Field representatives will be present on our course, both at the start/finish and along the course. USA Track & Field representatives and other runners have the authority to DQ or file a protest resulting in a DQ if you do not follow the rules.

We are providing over 40 bands and entertainment venues along the course. There will be very few sections that don't have something going on. You might miss a large majority of this if you wear headphones.

Many people listening to music while running don't really consider headphones an issue because they say the "aren't going to win anyway," but it is helpful to learn from the experiences of other runners so that throughout your running or walking career you can learn to keep yourself and other runners, walkers, bystanders, bicyclists, motorists, wheelchair participants – and anyone you share the road with for that matter – safe! Please see the following Runner’s World forum on the use of headphones at road races.

Hmmm....I think I might just sing off-key the entire race. That will provide plenty of impetus for people to run away from me and finish faster.

Edited by karhooligan 2007-12-02 1:29 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Music players might be banned from WRM and Cowtown Rss Feed