John Paul II Catholic School
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 17m 57s
Overall Rank = 5/306
Age Group = 16-29
Age Group Rank = 3/13
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at my sisters who I stayed with so I would be closer to the race, and ate some food. Just all the normal things you do to get ready for anything.
Event warmup:

did a 1mile jog then a stretch then about a half mile jog.. I would of liked this to of been a bit longer but they were lining up at the start and making me nervous. Since at the last 5k I start 2 minutes behind because I missed the start.. ;p

Run
  • 17m 57s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 05m 46s  min/mile
Comments:

I ran a dumb race, and it cost me from having a good race.

I went out with someone I knew I was close too, but I could tell we were heading out too hard, for me anyway, but I felt like being stubborn and kept with him. We hit the mile marker at 5:24.. Some people do well going out hard and holding on, I've never ran a good race by doing that and this was 10-15 seconds faster then I wanted to open up. He went on to dropping his PR by 30 seconds with a 17:03 (huge success for him) I went on to fade through out the race. Mile 1.5-2.5 were my worse and I just felt real sloppy during that section but I started to regather my self right at the end.

Now I'm not really upset with my time, 17:57 is fine by me.. if you said I ran 17:20 I would still say I didn't run well, I just didn't feel like I ran what I could of out there regardless of the time.

If anything I feel like this proves I'm in good shape and improving if I'm breaking 18 on a off race where I ran stupid.. I should be well into the 17s on a good day.
What would you do differently?:

When ever I run my race, how I feel I should run it, I have a great race. When I run like I did today, off someone else, I have a bad race.

So run MY race.. not someone elses.
Post race
Warm down:

Just jogged a mile right after the race, which always surprises me every time how much it helps recovery.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bad decisions.. going out with a 5:24 when I should of hit a 5:38. I just couldn't bounce back from that effort.

Last updated: 2007-11-03 12:00 AM
Running
00:17:57 | 03.11 miles | 05m 46s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/13
Overall: 5/306
Performance: Below average
Course: Through a neighborhood, plenty of turns but only one 180 that takes your speed away.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes