View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Camino, California
United States
Total Time = 40m 14s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 19-29
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Went with a huge group of ppl from Americorps...probably close to 100 of us total including runners and volunteers. We left rediculously early (5:45), had about an hour drive, and then 2 hours to sit around before the race started. I found a nice spot by a tree and did some meditating/napping and then tried to get a warmup in.

When I first got there I noticed that the first aid tent was staffed by search and rescue ppl and started thinkin "yikes! what kind of a race is this??" Then the announcer starts talkin about how most ppl just look for flat races but we were all hardcore for coming out for such a hilly run. Again wondering what the heck i've gotten myself in to.
Event warmup:

With all the extra time I had my warmup all planned out...The only thing I didn't consider is the hugely long line at the bag check. I did have time to do lots of stretching and a little bit of jogging. Also got to watch the kids race which was super cute. They had a quarter mile run for 5 and unders that was halarious.
Run
  • 40m 14s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 11m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

My watch time says 40'14"...the computer time said 41'04". I'm going with my watch b/c I stopped my watch well after I crossed the finish. I think there were some timing issues at the start.

The start was pretty crazy and unorganized. I think some walkers started too far up or something b/c the pack was barely moving for the entire first half mile so I had to walk. Not all bad since it was up a hugely steep hill, but still frustrating. The road also narrowed a lot which didn't help anything.

After the first half mile things were going really well...though I really had to pee. It was mostly downhill but there were some gradual uphills too. I struggled to keep a good pace but I managed to keep running, which was good. Around the third mile marker we hit a super steep hill and I stopped to walk a bit. I was going to start again and noticed that pretty much everyone around me was walking too so I had no motivation to run. Got to the top of that hill and there was a little bit of flat and then another hugely steep hill up to the finish which I ran.

What would you do differently?:

I'm not super happy with my pace...I was hoping for better since I've been running quite a bit faster lately. Granted all my runs have been on flat and much shorter (>2 miles) but I would've liked to see more improvement in time. As always, I should probably run hills more, because I clearly suck at running hills and I have a lot to learn about doing them well. I keep saying this, but I never have any desire to actually go out and do it.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around...stretched...talked to ppl, considering that I knew a big chunk of the ppl there!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hills. And the fact that I'm still a pretty crappy runner in general..but getting better. :)

Event comments:

Beautiful area...lots of yummy apples to eat afterwards...Some of the logistics needed some work. The announcer was really hard to hear even when close to him and a lot of the morning felt pretty un-organized. Overall though it was fun and I'm glad I went.

Last updated: 2007-11-04 12:00 AM
Running
00:40:14 | 03.5 miles | 11m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: Straight up a hill for the first half mile, around a long windy downhill for 2.5 miles, then straight uphill again to the finish.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?