Australia
27C / 81F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 57m 12s
Overall Rank = 131/142
Age Group = 30 - 34
Age Group Rank = 7/7
Pre-race routine:

Up early breakfast and off to the race start. it was blowing a strong wind this morning and it was pretty cool.
Set up my gear and chatted to everyone. I was in a strange mood like I'd forgotten what I need to do in a race. first race of the season and I was a little disjointed.
Event warmup:

No warm up. struggled into my borrowed long sleeved wetsuit which was a performance. listened to the briefing and headed down to the beach for the start. feeling a little ill. I didn't feel nervous at all but for some reason my stomach decides its nervous for me.
Swim
  • 29m 34s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

this is one of the worst swims in a race I have ever done. Everyone seemed to miss the start there was alot of confusion out there and it was offputting. the water was cold but not overly cold. I found the first 100m's incredibly difficult. I couldn't breathe and I could not settle my breathing no matter how hard I tried. I felt really really constricted. (I realise no it was the wetsuit not fitting correctly)
the swell and chop were quite big wich didn't help matters. i tried my hardest to settle my breathing into a steady pace but could not do it and I wasn't panicking but I was close to it. I considered putting my hand up to be pulled out of the race. (never ever had any problems like this ever before in a race)

I did a few breaststokes and sucked in as much air as I could and just kept going. rounded the first buoy and was looking right into the sun. so it was difficult to site the second buoy. Unforunately with the current and the sun everyone headed the wrong direction off course a good bit. excellent just what I needed making a difficult swim longer.

I did settle into some form of pace by the second lap but it wasn't comfortable and it was with breathing difficulties the whole way.

I am quite confident that I'm never going to drown, I've def got the ability to calm myself down and rely on the fact that if you're wearing a wetsuit (even if it constricts your breathing) you will float no matter what.
What would you do differently?:

wear a diff wetsuit (more on that later)
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I had a pretty good transition. it was a long run from the swim to the transition which I didn't run all that fast. I have trouble running without my shoes on my feet just complain too much. so I took it easy.
got the wetsuit off and helmet on and off I went.

focus
Bike
  • 1h 26m 43s
  • 40 kms
  • 27.68 km/hr
Comments:

After a disaster swim, I focussed on the fact that this was a training ride. and I attempted to keep the cadence high and spin. It was really windy on one half of the loop and you could fly back on the other part of the loop. I just tried to keep a steady pace and drank to get rid of the salt water.
It was quite tough into the wind, but I wasn't pushing it and I was quite happy with my 28k average.

Push it harder if it wasn't a training race.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I had a rubbish transition, racked the bike with difficulty I just couldn't get it under the rack with the bottles on with all the other bikes in the rack. I was convinced I was coming last at this stage which was a bit demoralising.

I'd put toggles on my laces and stupidhead didn't check ti make sure I could get my feet into the shoes with the toggles on. duh. I couldn't ended up ditching the toggles and tying up my laces which obviously meant I was slow in transition.

not do something diff on race day. check the toggles are gonna work. duh.
Run
  • 1h 00m 51s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 05s  min/km
Comments:

This is where I really started to think I was going to come last. thats a scary thought. the first lap was hard work and things were hurting, my shins especially. the second lap I'd warmed up. (it took 5 k's to warm up the legs for running) defintely sure the second lap I negatively split by alot but didn't time it.

I just felt dead slow with no pace.

Probably not do an olympic race after a 3hr run 2 days earlier :)
Post race
Warm down:

I wandered around chatting feeling a bit low about how slow I was. I was really hoping for a faster race! But I have since realised I was running on very tired legs. I had a rubbish swim and I'm just overall tired in the lead up to Ironman. I'm glad I've got a race under my belt esp figuring out how bad that wetsuit was (again more on that later keep on reading ;) )

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my lack of speed!

Event comments:

This race was great the organisers were great, its really nice to do some of the smaller club races out of Perth. a real community event. I enjoyed it.

We headed over for the presentations and they had some fabulous spot prizes. i was just chatting to a friend about how these things never seem all that random when they called my name up for a spot prize!!! I'm still extremley excited about this fabulous spot prize!! I won a $500 2XU voucher! SOO all that trouble I had with the borrowed wetsuit I will hopefully be able to rectify with a nice brand new super duper top of the line 2XU wetsuit!! and they are pink!

so a rubbish race for me turned into one of hte best races I've ever done! I also won a 2XU cap which I was looking at in the shops the other day for the Ironman. I normally wear a visor but was wanting a cap to cover my head for Ironman so I don't get a burnt noggin. I looked at them but couldn't justify $40 for a hat! I got one for free. Very happy turtle!

my dad was pleased with himself too he came 2nd in his age group and he was happy with his time.

Last updated: 2007-10-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:34 | 1500 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/7
Overall: 89/142
Performance: Bad
Suit: long sleeved illfitting wetsuit
Course: 2 laps rectangle
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 18F / -8C Current: High
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:26:43 | 40 kms | 27.68 km/hr
Overall: 133/142
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: 6 laps
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:00:51 | 10 kms | 06m 05s  min/km
Overall: 138/142
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 laps around the inlet.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-11-04 8:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Subject: Bun Berri Classic Triathlon

2007-11-04 11:02 PM
in reply to: #1037799

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: Bun Berri Classic Triathlon
Ha! How is cool is it that you won a $500 voucher??? That was well worth the tough swim!!
Go on you for getting out there after some very recent hard sessions.

Bring on the new 2XU suit. I'd say they're awesome, but I haven't had a chance to use mine yet
2007-11-05 9:34 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-11-05 6:40 PM

Expert
Herndon VA

Hey Mel,

Congrats on the spot prize!  You are one lucky person.  Didn't you also win a bike once?  Don't worry about the race.  Everything should be geared to the IM, that's the A race.  It sounds like this race helped work out some of the transition issues and get you back into race mode. 

Tell your Dad congratulations.

Ernie 

2007-11-05 6:51 PM

Perth

Hey Mel,

i'm sure all those mind games in this race will serve you well in "4 WEEKS" .....

Way to go winning a wetsuit, i have a 2xu and it is fantastic, you will love it...(it's not pink thou)

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bun Berri Classic Triathlon Rss Feed