General Discussion Triathlon Talk » running with dog Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-11-05 6:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frome, (Nr Bath) Somerset
Subject: running with dog
I've recently started taking my dog out with me when I go running; the reason I want her with me is because it is now dark when I run and having her with me is gives me more confidence. It also gives her extra exercise and I get to have more time with her as she can be left on her own for a bit. (My BF is afganistan at the moment and he is generally home more than me so she is with him mostly)

I have her on the lead and she does run well but she can hang back a bit sometimes - not that I'm running fast or anything. I don't want to drag her along with me as it isn't fair and I certainly don't want to hurt her, I think she maybe can't be bothered sometimes. We've ran up to 13.5miles and she seems fine with that

So my question is whether running with her is harming her, or could it harm me to have her on the lead as I've noticed it affects my running style if she is running a little behind

Does anyone else run with their dog? If so how are they off the lead, does it affect your run at all?

Here's a pic of my fave girl.

(s735530383_1204452_5089.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
(0KB - 19 downloads)
s735530383_1204452_5089.jpg (3KB - 24 downloads)

2007-11-05 8:26 AM
in reply to: #1037986

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Subject: RE: running with dog
How old is your dog? Is she a lab/lab mix, because that's kind of what it looks like from the picture. I would say if you haven't been regularly running with her that long runs are something that need to be gradually worked up to. Most dogs are natural walkers and sprinters, not distance runners, and with the prevalence of hip problems in many breeds, particularly as they age, high mileage can be tough on them. The hardest part is trying to gauge their fatigue, as most dogs just want to make you happy, so they'll keep running until they drop. Similar to a person who hasn't exercised a lot, you'll want to take her to the vet and speak with the doctor about the proper way to build her up to a running program, and whether it is appropriate for her age and hip structure.
Medical questions aside, running with your dog can be made easier with one of those leashes that secure around your waist. It has a slight bungee action in the leash, so sudden bursts of speed or stopping aren't as big a deal. There is a man in my neighborhood who runs with a waist leash with his two whippets. The dogs are usually behind him, but he just keeps on going, knowing that they are not far behind.
I would not recommend running with your dog off leash unless:
1. Your dog is extremely well trained and will not dart after bicycles, squirrels, etc.
2. You live in an area where this is legal.

P.S. - I'm not a vet, I didn't stay at a holiday inn last night, but I am a dog trainer and manager of a dog daycare, so I have a broad knowledge of dog health and behavior. Please please please talk to your vet before your run with your dog, an xray of her hips is a small price to pay to know you aren't damaging her body in your attempt to bond with your special girl.
2007-11-05 8:33 AM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Just as an aside....

Saturday evening, I saw a guy get tripped by his dog in the park I was running in. He went down...HARD. I stopped to help him, and he eventually decided he needed an ambulance, after an hour of trying to stand up and walk. He thinks he broke his hip. He also had some huge gashes on his elbows and knees... not a good night for him.

Anyway... just saw the thread and thought Id share.... be careful out there with your dog!
2007-11-05 10:02 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frome, (Nr Bath) Somerset
Thank you both. Beau (the dog) is a lab/terrier mix - more terrier than lab I think. She is 5 years old and she does have long walks every day and runs around a lot.

Atlantia - thank you for your advice this is exactly my concern as I know dogs have issues with hip dsyplacia (sp?) especially in labs so this was a concern. I have booked a visit to the vet for sat and will see what they say.

ahhh I feel for the guy who tripped, I'm always very conscious of her when we are running for that reason particularly!
2007-11-05 10:06 AM
in reply to: #1038211

User image

Elite
I've ran with my lab many times. I did it once though when she was quite young and it was no good. I had to teach it to heel which is sadly fairly difficult. Once that was done I had no problems though. Good luck!

2007-11-05 10:09 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
A sneaky trick for teaching heel: rub peanut butter on your leg at nose level. Not so much that she'll go licking and gnawing at you, but enough that you're interesting to follow. I used that one to teach my lab to heel. Now he's great.

2007-11-05 10:19 AM

User image

Master
Running trails in S. Ontario

I run with my lab, but mostly on trails, so he is off leash.  In the city, he is always on a short lead that I secure to my waist.  The trick is to get the dog trained so that he will stay by your side, and this can take some time and patience.  I have trained my dog since he was a pup, so it may take longer with an older dog. I also allow a few "sniff stops" so that he can take a break.

I would advise to start off with shorter runs, encourage him with treats and praise when he is running by your side.  Also, be aware in winter of salt on the roads and walkways, as this will burn their pads of their feet.  Good advice to see your vet before, to rule out any potential problems. Use common sense, and I am sure you will enjoy having a running partner that is always excited to go for a run.

2007-11-05 10:57 AM

User image

Expert
Spring (Houston), TX

I have a 5 1/2 month old lab that does short runs (5 miles or less) with me. He's 50 lbs, so by no means small. I do work with him on heel or at least stay out of my way. I've got to try the p-nut butter. He cut in front of me once and I stepped on him (accidentally) pretty hard. I was afraid I'd broken his leg, so carried him home. He was fine - and he doesn't get in front of me anymore. If I stop to walk, he'll motion with his head to start running again - it's pretty funny.

A tired dog is a good dog.

2007-11-05 11:57 AM

All the advise above is right on. One thing to add is be careful when it gets warm out. Dogs do not have very good cooling capability. They can get overheated long be for humans and have trouble getting their body temperature down once they do get overheated.
2007-11-05 12:15 PM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Dogs can be great running partners. My lab was one of my favorite training buddies until she had to be put down this year at the young age of 7. RIP Ginger...

Be sure to teach your dog to heal and respect runners and walkers, and then have fun. Best part about a dog is that, unlike us, they're always ready to go for a run!
2007-11-05 12:45 PM

User image

Expert
South eastern Ohio

I think spending time with your dog running is just great. And as Atlantia said get a vet check first but after just train her/him like you would a new runner. Not too much at first. I have been running with my Malamute Freya since she was about 1 yr old, she is 5 now. Those are her legs (the hairy ones ) in my avatar. As for off leash or on leash. I run with her on a longer than normal lead attached to my waist and don't let her run off leash even though mostly we are off road. Malies tend to be a bit hard headed and have been know to run off. She is good though and stays just in front of me and responds to voice commands very well. Which is good cause at 130lbs she could pull me around with no prob. Enjoy your runs. You and your runnin' dog. Look forward to how you are doing together on the run

Chris  

2007-11-05 12:48 PM
in reply to: #1038211

User image

Expert
Malvern, England

I run with my dog all the time.  Around here they are not allowed off leash so when I am where other people are I keep her on leash.  I have a bumbag/fannypack clipped around my waist and I thread her leash through that which means I can run normally with both arms and she is usually trotting ahead of me. 

She has actually come for runs of 3 hours with me but I didn't think she was enjoying them that much so I don't go longer than around an hour or hour and a half now with her and certainly not longer than an hour if it is hot.   I do like the security of having her with me.

I think dogs learn and get into habits -for example when I first started running with her (and i did build up gradually) she wanted to sniff everything like when we walk.  She has learnt that when I run she can't do that and is very good now (unless we see a deer) but I do make a point at the end of walking 5-10mins so she can have her sniff time.

Jackie 

2007-11-05 7:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Nebraska

I run with our dog, Sparky, a 4 1/2 year old lab-blue heeler mix.  He knows "heel" and will stay with me whenever I call, but he also know "Okay, GO" which is how I release him from heel.  We run on trails that go 2-3 miles between crossroads sometimes, and he heels up right away.  As we approach a road I call him a hundred yards away from it, and don't let him loose from my command until we are well past it, since he would otherwise begin to anticipate it and start to run perhaps before crossing the road entirely.  He just obeys my commands and rarely seems aware they are related to roads we are crossing.  Interestingly, he knows when I pass a biker or runner the other way and he can get loose soon, since he will immediately look up at me as if to ask if he can run free again. 

As a tip, when training him to run by my side if he started to creep ahead, I'd reach down and give him like a small pinch on the rear (not hard, but startling) - like a dog would do to another.  Now I just waggle my water bottle or anything on that side in front of his nose and he realizes not to go farther ahead from me.   Most of the time he is free to go, but there is no "in-between" - its either by my right side with no variance allowed, or free to roam.  Being strict in heel is what makes him safe to run off leash. 

I love to watch him bounding in tall grass.  He loves to chase after the deer and wild turkeys we usually encounter.   Enjoy!

2007-11-05 8:13 PM

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
I would never have started running if not for my dog. She is a super energetic lab/terrier mix, and I didn't have time to ride and exercise her as well so I started trail running with her (with the Vets ok of course)

We started out on a lead, and I allowed her to pull (she wore her pulling harness that we use for skateboarding) which was great motivation/help to me.

Work up to it. When it is hot we run for very short periods, maybe 20 minutes, and I'll only go where she can go for a quick swim at about the halfway mark and stay in the water as long as she wants when we are done.

After 3 years of a lot of hardwork I got her trained to be off her lead, and thats when I stopped running, as I could take her mountain biking instead. She is up to about an hour and a half in cool weather.

Now, since I am working back into running after 10 months off, if we are trail running, she is off her lead, if we are on the street/sidewalk, I leash her because even though I have more trust in her then I thought I ever could, the thought of her getting hit by a car is unbearable. Even if you are not going for off the lead capabilities, teaching your dog to heal is essential to running together. For mountain biking I also have taught her to follow, and we are working on right or left, but I just don't know if that one is possible. At least she waits for me at intersections if she is leading.
2008-01-16 2:31 PM

User image

Marion, Ohio

I try to always run with my dog......He knows as soon as I have a pair a shorts on its time to go......
I do not think I could get out the door with out him, and now our new pup is getting old enough to come along to.....so its been challenging lately but he's catching on pretty quick.

Ceaser would be proud 

2008-01-18 8:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
On the road...somewhere
I have a Plott Hound (see picture) and they require alot of exercise. She runs with me and my wife every day. Sometimes I take her for 5 in the morning and my wife takes her for 5 at night. We've done half marrys, trail runs, speed workouts...whatever. The dog loves to run and can't get enough. She's now 7 and isn't slowing down. The best leash is the gentle leader. Keeps her right where I want her.

My dog motivates me. I just hope that one day I'll love to run as much as she does.

2008-01-18 8:17 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
How old can you start running with them, even short runs? We have a 5 month old Husky mix who really *wants* to run on walks, but I'd always heard to wait till they are 1 year old so their bones are not in such a growth stage. Thoughts from the pro's?

2008-01-18 10:02 AM

User image

Westchester, NY
I have been told that you should not run with a dog younger than 1 n=because their bones are When I started running with her about 3 years ago I began very slowly doing a run walk type of thing for 5 miles . The we turned it into a 2 miles straight for two weeks and added a mile onto it Until we reached 5. For the longest time that as far as I took her. But now she has run up to 14 miles with me. However, I am concious of the fact that dogs do not show pain in the same way we do. They don't automatically whine for something like a dull ache, si I try not to run with h er more than 3 times a week, to try and avoid any overuse injuries. The 14 miles is an abberation, normally I do not take her more than 8 miles.
2008-01-18 1:20 PM

User image

Marion, Ohio

Just my opinion,  but I would wait at least until 10 months old and then start slowly....but walks would be great for them until then.........

2008-01-18 1:35 PM
in reply to: #1163462

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

triturn - 2008-01-18 8:01 AM I have a Plott Hound (see picture) and they require alot of exercise. She runs with me and my wife every day. Sometimes I take her for 5 in the morning and my wife takes her for 5 at night. We've done half marrys, trail runs, speed workouts...whatever. The dog loves to run and can't get enough. She's now 7 and isn't slowing down. The best leash is the gentle leader. Keeps her right where I want her. My dog motivates me. I just hope that one day I'll love to run as much as she does.

Plott hounds are so cool! I had a Red Bone x Doberman for 14 years. He was the greatest running partner ever.....of course my new balck&Tan x Lab is shaping up nicely as well.

(hugo_snow1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
hugo_snow1.jpg (34KB - 15 downloads)
2008-01-18 2:04 PM

I have a Jack Russell Terrier. Great running parnter. She knows when she sees the black leash that it's time to run. I won't take her on runs when I really want to push myself. I take her when I need the motivation on days when I am not really feeling it.

2008-01-18 2:35 PM

User image

Master
My last run with Rosie, our hyperactive Australian cattle dog, was two years ago, when she got spooked, crossed in front of me, wrapping my ankles up with the leash. I went down hard and skinned every bony joint on the right side of my body and taking stitches to sew up the chin.

She'd love to come with me but now is limited to walks with my wife. The tired dog = good dog thing is so true, but I'm too spooked to give it another go.
2008-01-18 2:39 PM

User image

Regular
Leaf River, IL
i would take my dog running but he is too old (12years) and has way too many bad habits.

(drunk dog.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
drunk dog.JPG (14KB - 14 downloads)
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » running with dog Rss Feed