United States
Ironman North America
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 59m 23s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = w40-44
Age Group Rank = 57/105
Pre-race routine:

I drove down with my uncle on Wednesday and got there in time to register. I would highly recommend this for anyone doing this race in the future. I walked right in and was done in 5 minutes. The next day, the line was way out the door. I did the Gatorade swim on Thursday morning and this was a great confidence builder for me as it convinced me I could swim in the Gulf. We stayed at the Gulf Crest, which is an easy walk to the main race site. My husband, children, parents and aunt all arrived Thursday night. Friday we played on the beach!
Event warmup:

Got up at 4:30 and had a PB and J. Walked to the race site and got organized. Took my own pump, which was smart because the lines for the pumps were long. My father came down at 6:15 and got my pump and dry clothes.
Swim
  • 1h 28m 7s
  • 4156 yards
  • 02m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

I am not a good swimmer. With my husband and I both working the hours we do, nights, weekends, etc., I can usually only get to the pool 2 days a week, and then it is at 4:30 am! I was fairly terrified of the swim to be honest. My goal was to survive, and I thought I could probably be between 1:30-1:45. I started in the middle in the back. I am terrible at sighting and wanted people on all sides of me to help me out! The start is of course crazy. Arms and legs every where. Lots of contact, but nothing that paniced me. I found more open water in the beginning than I was expecting. It was definitely crowded, but I had no problem moving forward. The buoys were really crowed with people and slowed down quite a bit. On the way in, things opened up a bit and I just concentrated on staying smooth. I just kept telling myself, "Slow and steady", and tried not to pay attention to all those around me. When we finished the first lap and ran up on the beach, I knew I could do it and it was such a great feeling. The second lap had more open water and less contact. On the way in, the current tended to push you away from the buoy line, and I had to sight more often. Still, I managed to not get too far off course.
When I reached the shore and ran out, I saw my family there with the signs the kids had made and heard the announcer say my name and the time of 1:28! I had my race right there. I felt like a champion! If I had not made it to the finish line, I still would have felt like I did something great by making it through the swim. Next to the finish, this was the highlight of my day.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing! I did better than expected and couldn't have asked for a better swim.
Transition 1
  • 08m 21s
Comments:

The tent was crowded, but I could find floor space to use. I didn't change clothes, but wore tri shorts and a top the whole time. Unfortunately, I forgot to get sunscreen on before I left. If there was someone there doing it, it wasn't obvious to me. I ate a gel before I left the tent. As I pushed my bike to the line, I heard my back tire rubbing. I stopped to looked at it and instantly someone ran over and asked the problem. A mechanic was right there, adjusted my tire, which was rubbing the rear wheel cut out, and I was on my way almost instantly.

Not forget the sunscreen.
Bike
  • 7h 10m 15s
  • 112 miles
  • 15.62 mile/hr
Comments:

I am not a strong biker. Again, with small children and work, I did 80-90% of my training on an indoor trainer. I swear this is true-check my logs! You do what you have to do out of desparation. My actual riding time was about 6:45. There were so many threats about being taken to jail if you peed behind a bush, that I think everyone was scared to death to try it. As a consequence, those of us who don't yet pee on the bike were left waiting in long lines at the porta potties in the aid stations. There were usually only 2 at an aid station for 2200+ people. Not good. This cost me about 25 minutes in time. My time still would have been slow, but 6:45 would be a time I would be proud of for my slow self.
For about the first 10 miles, my magnet was hitting on my computer sensor making a constant clicking noise. It still registered O.K., but everyone who passed me looked at me oddly. I was passed a lot in the first half of the race. The wind seemed low in the beginning and it was just oh so flat. After about 5 miles, some guy went by me just slathered in sunscreen, and it was then that I realized I had forgotten mine. This bothered me on and off until I finally got some at an aid station about 50 miles into the ride. I could feel the sun beating down on my fair skin and got the sunburn to prove it. I kept an easy/comfortable pace through the first 40 without any problem. I was stopping about every other aid station to pee. I had 2 scoops of Perpetuem per hour plus water. I also had one Powerbar and one gel on the ride.
I always seem to get a little droopy for the middle miles. It is the combination of being somewhat tired and having so many miles ahead. About half way, a woman and I kept passing each other. She asked me where the next penalty tent was and said she'd gotten a yellow card, I think for blocking. I thought, what in the world are they giving out penalties for to us back of the packers doing 7 hour rides, unless you are just doing something blatently wrong? It just sort of seemed crazy to me. Those middle miles got a bit hot and the wind seemed to pick up some. I passed by special needs without stopping as I didn't need anything in my bag.
From mile 70 on, I felt fairly good. The road is quite rough in places and slowed me down a bit I think. I was so paranoid I would get a flat at any moment. For some reason my chip didn't pick up at the 79 mile timing mat, and my family was worried something had happened to me. The aid station at about 80 miles was all decked out in pirate gear and was great. Unfortunately, that was also the longest line at the porta potty I think, so I got to look at all their costumes for what seemed like a loooonnng time. Those last 32 miles went by fairly fast it seemed. I felt like I picked up the pace and passed some people. My legs were hurting and I would stand every so often, which helped some. The ride over the bridge near the end was fun. Coming back into town, the wind was more gusty between the high condo buildings and made me feel a bit unstable on my bike at times. Boy, was I glad to see that transition zone and the dismount line! Some of my family were there, and it was great to see them. I love to run and couldn't wait to get off that bike and onto my feet.

Not forget the sunscreen. I guess the only answer is a catheter or to pee on the bike. The latter seems the better choice.
Transition 2
  • 04m 14s
Comments:

The tent was not crowded at all by now as most everyone else was already running! The volunteers were great. One on one attention. I didn't change any clothes, just put on my shoes, took some stuff out of my pockets and put some gels in and took off.

Nothing I think.
Run
  • 4h 08m 27s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I am still a runner. I like to swim, like to bike and like triathlons, but I love to run. I am no good at the other 2 events as you can see. I did 50-60% of my running up and down our driveway and past our front yard early a.m. while the kids slept within earshot of the monitor. I was hoping to run around a 4 hour marathon. I started out feeling great and was running a steady, but controlled pace. It was a bit hot at the start. I saw the saw my husband and children outside our condo just before the first mile, and that was the best sight you can imagine. The kids are 3, 5, and 7, and were just jumping up and down and shouting "Go mama!" Made me feel amazing. I saw the sign they made around mile 4 or 5 and another great moment. Almost brought me to tears. I started off taking gatorade at the aid stations with a gel and water about every 4 miles. I took something at every aid station for the first 8 miles. I think this was not a good plan. About mile 9 I started to have terrible stomach cramps. I felt nauseated. I slowed my pace and kept running, but passed by 3 or 4 aid stations without taking anything. This helped and the cramps settled down, but my stomach never felt completely well after this. I managed to take 2 more gels during the run and started drinking cola instead of the gatorade. The carbonation that was in it helped me I think. Still, my pace was slowed by all this.
When you loop back and start the second loop, the crowds there are just amazing and lift you right up. The second pass by our condo overwhelmed me again. I looked for the sign the second time and got more energy from that as well. Out in the park, they had the Ford inspiration station where the messages your family entered for you are flashed on the board. I think I will never forget seeing "Go mama go! U R great!" which was my message. Made me realize I have the most amazing family you could ask for. It gets dark in those neighborhoods and the park when the sun goes down. I kept up a steady pace and only walked when drinking or eating at the aid stations. I really had no problem keeping myself running despite the stomach issues, but did have to slow the pace. As I got to the last 2 miles, I knew I would be close to the 13 hour mark. That last run up to the finish was just beyond words. I was the clock 12:59 and couldn't believe I had made it below 13. There were a bunch of people right in front of me, but I did hear my name. I ran through by myself. I didn't want there to be any fights over who went with me and so did it solo.

I think I tried to take in too much early on. I need to wait until maybe the 3rd aid station and then take in something every other I think.
Post race
Warm down:

Got a picture and medal. Didn't feel like eating anything, but felt generally O.K. We walked the 1/2 mile or so back to the condo and I felt O.K. then too. I took a shower and then got sick as a dog. I think the heat from the shower caused a general vasodilation and my blood pressure to fall from dehydration. I had to turn the water off and sit on the floor of the shower. Crawled out and spent the next 2 hours in the bathroom curled up on the floor with dry heaves and diarrhea. After that I was fine again, although couldn't drink or eat until the next morning. I think it was just general body overload.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am only good at one of the 3 events. I don't see that changing with my training schedule and the time I have.

Event comments:

Overall a great race and a great experience! The volunteers are amazing. I have the best family you could want and never could have done it without them. To anyone thinking they don't have time to do this, if it is your dream, you can find a way. I have some crazy training methods, but they got me through. I couldn't find a training plan to work, so I made mine up and had no coach to help. When I crossed the finish, I thought I would be really emotional, but didn't feel that much. It didn't hit me until 2 days later. It was Monday and I had taken off. I was at the grocery store in the frozen food section, and suddenly the enormity of the accomplishment just hit me. I almost started to cry right there. I thought this was a dream I'd never have the time to do, but now I am an Ironman!

Last updated: 2007-01-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:28:07 | 4156 yards | 02m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 80/105
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca full wetsuit
Course: 2 loop rectangular course. Run up on the beach in between loops.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 08:21
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:10:15 | 112 miles | 15.62 mile/hr
Age Group: 88/105
Performance: Average
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: One big long loop almost totally flat. Rough roads at times.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 04:14
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:08:27 | 26.2 miles | 09m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/105
Performance: Good
Course: Flat at can be. Starts out in town with big crowds lining the sides of the streets. Winds through some neighborhoods before the turnaround in the park. 2 loops. Kind of chaotic with people on lap one and 2 going out and back all at the same time.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-11-06 7:58 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
Subject: Ironman Florida

2007-11-06 8:38 AM
in reply to: #1039746

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida
Great Job out there Ironman!!!
2007-11-06 8:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
Great report! I love to hear that you can have three young children and still do an Ironman! Wow!
2007-11-06 9:00 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Great race and a tremendous run, must have looked like a picket fence passing so many on the run. I really enjoyed your report!
2007-11-06 9:05 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Congrats!

You did fantastic and are are Mom and wife before a triathlete and worked your training around your family...impressive! 

I love your thought after you finished the swim as you did something great just to finish it.

Nice work on the bike and really if they are so concerned about public urination they should add more porta potties...crude. Learning to pee on your bike is an option too

Amazing run and so fun your family was there cheering you on and motivating you then again when you saw their sign they continued to be with you.

Sounds sort of scary after the race with the dry heaves and being unable to eat until the next day...glad you are okay! 

Love your frozen food moment...you did something huge and you did it well!

Very proud of you...Congrats! 

2007-11-06 9:18 AM

Veteran
Wow, you did an phenomenal job and should be so proud of yourself, particularly with so many other of life's commitments!
You gave me great advice for when I do it next year....learn to pee on the bike. I can't run worth a damn though so you have a very strong advantage. And, by the way, your other times were great!

2007-11-06 9:59 AM

User image

Master
Long Island, NY
WOW..CONGRATS IRONMAN!! I loved your RR and, yet again, I have to surrender my Man card after tears welled up in my eyes reading about your children and husband's support.  I loved your training methods, as with a Baby due in January, I'll probably be doing the same.  Your neighbors must think you are insane, however.  You ARE insane, and YOU ARE AN IRONMAN!!
2007-11-06 10:08 AM

User image

Master
Olney, MD
Awesome race report and congrats on your race IRONMAN!!
2007-11-06 10:11 AM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Great race report.  Congratulations... you did a great job out there.  I love your description of run training within earshot of the monitor.  My kids are around the same ages as yours and I know how hard it is finding time to train for shorter distances... kudos to you for creating ways to successfully train for an IM!
2007-11-06 10:50 AM

User image

Expert
Seattle WA
congrats on a great race!! i can't believe you trained mostly on a trainer!! awesome!!
2007-11-06 10:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pennsylvania
Fantastic marathon after the swim and bike. You truly are a great runner!

2007-11-06 11:00 AM

Veteran
Grapevine, Texas

Great report!!! Congratulations on your awesome accomplishment!!

I gotta say reading your report and about your family has really inspired me.  And, this "...if it is your dream, you can find a way" has just touched me more than you know.  I was to sign up for 2008 and was there volunteering (I may have seen you at the finish line as I was handing out the finisher t-shirts and hats) on Saturday.  I wasn't able to register though as I am now 9 weeks pregnant.  It hit me like a ton of bricks and a lot of fear that my dream of ironman won't happen.  But, seeing your report has brought hope to my eyes and that even after kids ironman is possible.   Thank you!

2007-11-06 11:19 AM

Champion
No excuses!

Great job and way to kick it on the run, very impressive!!

2007-11-06 12:14 PM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Congratulations Ironman!!  Great race and your RR was excellent.  I have to surrender my man card too and admit to tears welling up!  Great job!
2007-11-06 12:14 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
WOW! You did a great job... especially considering how you had to train. Looks like you could go pro if you were able to actually train. But hey... family first...

Dang, that really sucks about the long lines for the bathroom. I guess that's why so many people pee ON the bike. I don't think I could pee on myself... but if a line were long and it would cut 25 minutes into my overall time... I just might try.

Congratulations on becoming and Ironman and for having such a wonderful race!

2007-11-06 12:21 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Great race.  Congrats Ironman!

2007-11-06 2:20 PM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Kim ... you know, I had the same sentiment about my family come to me during the event.  It is not until you actually do this that you realize how much they are apart of you being able to do what we are doing on race day.

Awesome run to cap out a great race time!  All of that training, Ms. Consistency, paid off.

We walked the 1/2 mile or so back to the condo and I felt O.K. then too. I took a shower and then got sick as a dog. I think the heat from the shower caused a general vasodilation and my blood pressure to fall from dehydration. I had to turn the water off and sit on the floor of the shower. Crawled out and spent the next 2 hours in the bathroom curled up on the floor with dry heaves and diarrhea.

Next time for post-race recovery, let's get your husband to give us an IV while we drink beer!

Congratulations again, Ironman.  You rock!

2007-11-06 2:46 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga

Your dedication to training, and staying focused on the goal really should be put down in writing as an example of how to live your life and your dreams at the same time. Your driveway runs are priceless, but absolutely amazing. For sure I now know why and how you got into your profession.. others first, then you. Congratulations on a fantastic race. Every part of it.. and from one runner to another, how great was it to finally get to the part you feel most confident in? So, 140.6 miles later, but so much more than that, you are an Ironman. Great Job.

Stick around BT. Most of us have much to learn from you.

2007-11-06 3:17 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Wow. Great RR, great race! A serious lesson in delayed gratification. Congratulations, Ironman! You rock!

Pam
2007-11-06 6:50 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
WAY TO GO!!!  Why didn't we meet?????  Funny where it hit you, in the grocery   Congrats IRONMOMMY!!! 
2007-11-06 7:26 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Congrats Iron-Kim !

What an awesome feeling to run up that carpet knowing you are about to finish an incredibly hard day and a HUGE accomplishment.

I got a little misty reading your report, but I'm not giving up my mancard - real men cry !

Much sympathy on getting sick after the race....my stomach completely turned itself inside out at the end of the race too !

Good job out there!!! 

2007-11-07 8:38 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina

I wish I would have known you were bringing your kids.  Wifey and I had our brood with us 12 boy, 9 boy, and 7 girl.

Now I did plenty of long rides on the trainer, but nothing near 80-90%.  You really are an IRONMAN!  Holy crap.

You run was outstanding.  I'm not worthy.    I think the post race bliss is almost cooler than the actual race.  I agree with how you felt in the grocery store.  It seems like I was so caught up with the race and getting through it that when it was finally over there's nothing left to do but bask in all the glory and each painful step over the last couple of days have been happy reminders of everything that happened this weekend.

You're awesome!  Congrats again IRONMAN! 

2007-11-07 9:27 PM

Master
portland, or
Congratulations! Nice job on the run.

scott
2007-11-08 8:13 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD

Sweet job kicking it in just under 13.  I remember Mike R trying getting the fans to pull you and a few others under that hour mark.  I was catching someone else, but remember you crossing.

Especially with all the "within earshot" training you had to do.  Trained for an IM on the trainer and running laps in her driveway.  MAJOR KUDOS!

Edited by JoshKaptur 2007-11-08 8:38 AM
2007-11-08 2:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Russiaville, IN
Great job, you really prove if you want something bad enough you can find ways to make it happen. Congrats on being an Ironman!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Florida Rss Feed  

of 2