City of Santa Clarita
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 33m 8s
Overall Rank = 46/351
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 7/45
Pre-race routine:

I signed up for Santa clarita with the primary goal of running a strong race to end my abbreviated season with. I focused on keeping my volume relatively low but maintaining the intensity I had found during taper for LBM. A BQ would definitely be a secondary goal.

Then, most of Southern california was burning including a fairly large fire in santa Clarita. The fire as well as Air Quality were suddenly in question for the race. With one week to race time, the fire was out and the air quality in the valley was good. So, the race was a go.

Then, the weather started to take a turn for the worst. The prediction called for a return of the hot dry Santa Ana Winds over race weekend and the possibility of heat coupled with wind and poor air quality as the dust and ash from the fires swirled around.

On Saturday, the weather was calling for a low of 50, a high of 85, and 20 MPH Winds steady through the day.
Event warmup:

Arrived at the start line on race day and made a decision. I decided to pace this race similar to the way I did at Orange County since the predicted weather was just about identical. It was at that point that I gave up on the idea of running a BQ. I did not want another crash and burn, this time in the heat. I really just wanted to run a strong marathon and be happy with my effort and the results.

I had planned on running this race Naked (No Electronics) and decided this was still a valid plan. I was not going to track my mile splits. I would only capture my Half time and final time on my watch. (And try to run a negative split) Just gonna run on RPE (Rate of Perceived Exertion) and just focus on maintaining form and pace.

I also decided that the course support was good so I would be running my first Marathon without my water belt. I wore my Tri Top with pockets in the back and stuffed 6 gels in the pockets. The Nutrition plan was for a gel at mile 1, and every 4 miles afterward and a cup of water at every water stop. (No Skipping)

For a Warmup, did the usual .8 mile easy jog with a few pickups at Marathon Goal Pace.
Run
  • 3h 33m 8s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

I lined up with the Half and full Marathoners. (We Start together) I looked for pace groups to figure out where to seed myself but none to be found. So, I lined up about 100 ft behind the start line. The start was very rough going for the first half mile partly because so many walkers lined up in front of the chip mats and partly because the only real hill in the race is right out of the starting gate. (And a lot of folks decided to start walking half way up the hill)

The first mile was about 8:45 and I was eager to get things moving along. It was going to be a very long day doing 9:00 Miles. Then things break up and I again find myself in a group of runners who seem to be running the correct pace. This time, I can tell by the color of their bibs that they are all half marathon runners. Mental Note: Don't try to hang with them when they start kicking for the HM Finish.

The first 8 miles tick off pretty quickly and I am feeling great. We had been running on a river bank and as we cross over to the other side and start to run back, I realize that I have been running on a False flat for quite a while. (IE, A Gradual Uphill) Now we are running on a gentle downhill and it is time to find another gear.

I use the folks around me as a gauge of how much my pace is increasing and after a bit, I have some new pace fellows who are running a bit faster. But, they are still all half marathoners and I have to be very careful not to let them drag me into oblivion in the last few miles of their race. (I still have 14.2 miles when we are to part company)

Then the we get to mile 12 where the half marathon peeps leave the course and head to the finish. Once again, I find myself running very much alone. But, I am running very well and am now in a groove running by RPE. The course has more than a few ramps, overpasses, underpasses and Paseos. (FootBridges over highways) and I need to focus on not letting these darn things burn me up. (Not to mention, Lots of long false flats to get a person into plenty of trouble)

At the half way point, (13.1 was marked on the course), I am at 1:49:06. A bit slower than I was hoping for but I have 13.1 miles to make up for a slow start. It is warming up a bit now and is very dry, but the wind is nowhere to be found yet. I am guessing that the long pull up the false flat slowed me down a bit, and my reluctance to push hard down the other side has resulted in a slower half time.

At about Mile 14, I see my first full runner since the half. It is the first place runner and he is coming back the other way. (He is at mile 18) And there is no one behind him. Then I start seeing runners in front me and very slowly, start picking each of them off. The course is very windy and twisty and it is hard to see very far head, but I am now steadily picking off runners one at a time and no one is coming up behind me. (Maybe I am DFL Again)

By the time I reach mile 18, I am still feeling really good and starting to get eager to being my kick. but decide to hold back and maintain pace. I don't feel any wind yet, but it is getting pretty warm and now very dry. (Less than 10% Humidity) I am hydrating well though and don't feel much if any fatigue.

At mile 19, we are running alongside a roadway and for the first time, I am not feeling well. I know that this will pass and just focus on maintaining turnover and pace. It is about then that I notice some gusts of wind and know what is coming. My only hope is to make it to the turnaround before it gets ugly.

I hit the turnaround and am feeling better. About now, I start to notice a lot of folks around me walking. Some of them look pretty beat up. Many of them are still heading toward the turnaround and for the next 2 miles, I see a lot of folks and not very many of them are having fun. But, I am still passing a lot of folks, some walking, a few running but at a much slower pace. But, I am feeling strong and decide it is time to find another gear and start to kick.

Mile 23 and 24 go pretty quickly but at mile 25, I notice that my feet are really starting to hurt. I bet they are not totally healed up from the beating they took in Long Beach on the 10 miles of Concrete Bike Path in Bellmont shores. Downhill is really hurting a lot but now is not the time to slow down.

For the first time since the half, I am running with someone. We chat a bit and it turns out he is an Ironman Veteran. We get to the point where the course turns in (Same Place the Half Marathon Folks left the course) and now we are heading toward the mall. I know from other race reports that there are two pretty steep paseos to climb and I do not have much gass left to hammer up these darn things so I let my pace partner run ahead and just keep the legs turning over.

Right at the top of the 2nd paseo, I catch him and start my final kick for the finish down the ramp. Not long after, I see 26 go by, then the 13 MM go by and know there is only .1 miles left so I start going for broke. At the final turn toward the finish, I hear the announcer say my name and where I am from (But he does not say "You are an Ironman") and I cross the finish line at a full sprint and I am stoked.

I know my time not a BQ time, but it is a new Personal Best. I ran the whole race with no stops. Yup, not one stop at the loo, the whole race. (A first for this kid) I think my water bottle might have been the source of my problems in the past. (I think the belt puts too much pressure on my mid-section)

This is exactly what I needed to end my season on a positive note. The Marathon gods let this kid take a Mulligan
What would you do differently?:

I ran the race I set out to run. I did slack off on my nutrition late in the race. (Missed by last Gel at 21 miles and it did hurt me a bit)

This was definitely one of the more satisfying marathons I have run. (Right below San Francisco Marathon last year)
Post race
Warm down:

Short Walk through the food area and around the Valencia Mall to cool down. Felt pretty good after the race and only a little sick to my stomach from drinking G-Ade too soon after the race. Some interesting facts:

I ran the entire race with no stops
So sign of breathing problems
I ran a 5:06 Negative Split
The Time was a PB by 3:29
The time was 39:59 Faster than Long Beach 3 Weeks earlier
This was my 5th and 6th Open Marathons (+ 1 Marathon in an Ironman)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I could have run a faster race by taking some chances that would likely have paid off given that the predicted wind did not whip up until I was about done. (and the Air quality definitely got much worse very quickly) But, I could easily have been one of those walking wounded I waded through back at mile 19-21.

I am just tickled to no end with the results and happy to defer my BQ goals for now. I am definitely keeping my options open though. My only real priority at this point is to get through recovery from my surgery in time for Tri Seson. My first Race is Ironman California 70.3 the end of March and then on to Ironman Coeur d'Alene in June.

I am of the opinion that the best way for me to achieve my marathon goals is to build up to them through a series of races. I think this is because my focus changes throughout the year. (Distance, Discipline and Intensity) It definitely took me a bit to get my head back into the proper frame to run the Marathon. I believe that another race or two, (If I had the time to do them) would continue the progression.

This was my first double and I am totally sold on the idea. I recover quickly and respond well to the followup race

Event comments:

This is the first year doing this race and I have to say, for being a smallish race, the organization was absolutely first rate.

I would recommend this race to anyone and surely will be back next year and may do another double with Long Beach as the Warmup.

Last updated: 2007-10-18 12:00 AM
Running
03:33:08 | 26.2 miles | 08m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/45
Overall: 405/351
Performance: Good
1st Half: 1:49:06 2nd Half: 1:44:02
Course: Course looks like a bowl of spagetti on a map but it is pretty flat, quite scenic and enjoyable in the fact that very few miles of the are run around cars. (And Exhaust)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %3
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-11-06 2:36 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: Santa Clarita Marathon

This is my Race Report for my Double. (Long Beach Marathon on 10/14 and Santa Clarita Marathon on 11/4). This report is long and full of a lot of blathering. If you just want the results, jump directly to the results section and skip the rest.

Here is the link to the first race in my double: (Long Beach Marathon)

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=95541&posts=1#M1040512

Edited by WaterDog66 2007-11-06 2:39 PM

2007-11-06 4:07 PM
in reply to: #1040521

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Subject: RE: Santa Clarita Marathon

You did awesome and everything came together for you Glad you were able to get this one in and a BQ is definitely in your future

Well done!

2007-11-06 4:33 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-11-07 2:30 AM

Master
Santa Clarita
Wow Great RR and great Race too . I also really enjoyed the race . The weather turned out to quite nice . The volunteer support was fantastic . The false flat you describe from mile 6 to 9 is up a Brand new path on the east side of san francisquito with the gentle downhill on the west side from 9 to 12 .
Well done .

"IF" .. you were doing another mary in the new year in CA which one would do ?

2007-11-07 4:59 AM

Veteran
Newark, Delaware
Congrats, Tim!  Very well planned and executed race strategy.  I'm so glad you were able to get this last race in before shoulder surgery...great way to end the season.  Hope you're going to enjoy some R'n'R now!
2007-11-07 9:04 AM

Elite
Between the Devil and the Deep Blue Sea
Yet another awesome race by the Dogg! You'll be pulling down that BQ before you know it.

2007-11-07 8:03 PM

Expert
Central New York
Crikey, man! That's blazing. Congrats on a great race.

2007-11-08 1:46 PM

Veteran
Great job Tim!  Glad to hear this race went very well, and you set a new PB!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Santa Clarita Marathon Rss Feed