Ironman North America
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 53m 46s
Overall Rank = 1350/
Age Group = W40-44
Age Group Rank = 55/105
Pre-race routine:

woke up at 2:30 to pee, and just kind of laid in bed until 3 or so. My alarm was set for 3:15, so there was no point going back to sleep. I slowly drank 2 boosts, 1 cup of coffee, sipped on water and ate a large bowl of cheerios. Left the condo about 5:15 to walk the mile to the race site. It was a nice quiet walk with Jonathan and other athletes, and a good warm up. I was suprisingly calm and looking forward to getting this thing going! I went to get bodymarked and the girl asked if I was a pro :) I had a very low number because of the Janus Charity Challenge. I laughed and told her I was 41. I had let a little air out of my tires the day before so I pumped my tires up with a neighbor's pump to avoid the line (next time I'd bring my own I think). Met Carl (I think??) from BT at the racks-he said hello and good luck. Did one last check of everything, then went to drop the special needs bags off and take one last trip to the potty.
Event warmup:

Got into the wetsuit, took a few photos...hugged and kissed my hubby. He said a prayer for me on the beach, then I wandered down to the water, feeling the excitement around me!
Swim
  • 1h 09m 1s
  • 3800 meters
  • 01m 35s / 100 meters
Comments:

I put myself at the water line for the start, somewhat to the right of the bouy line! I love to swim, it makes me happy. I was a bit curious how the mass start would be, but figured I was going to be fighting no matter where I was, so I might as well get a good start, eh? I toed the water next to some nice looking people, and asked them to play nice :) Watched the pros go off, then waited our turn. I was afraid I would tear up in my goggles, with the relief of it all, but I was too excited and happy to be there. The cannon went off, and I walked a bit into the water, then just dove in. Man it was crazy! I got swam over, and wedged between people, and even popped my head up a few times to laugh at the hilarity of it all! Once I rounded the first turn, I kept my head down and just sighted every 4th-6th stroke. Came out of the first loop feeling refreshed and decided I'd go back in :) The second loop was much calmer. I didn't really kick - when I would start to kick, my calf acted like it wanted to cramp. So, I just focused on long, easy strokes and just enjoyed the heck out of myself. I saw about 5 jellyfish throughout the swim, and have a few rash like bumps from some of the sea life, but the jellyfish were pink and cute and didn't bother me, so no worries. I felt like I was really taking it easy, but also knew it was a long day ahead.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing for this race. It was great. Future Ironmans, I think I could push it in the swim a tad bit more.
Transition 1
  • 06m 58s
Comments:

Came out of the water and followed the leader. This was my first wetsuit swim, so I wasn't sure where and how that all happened. I didn't realize it was so close to the swim exit, and I should have been undoing my zipper and arms while I ran. Oh well. I got to the strippers, and a nice man helped me out in a snap, then sent me on my way. Glad they had showers, as I have a little salt water allergy and was hoping I'd get to rinse off. Ran to the tent, got my bag and quickly put on my stuff. It was mayhem in the tent, but the volunteers were incredible. Ran to the bike area - I was third row in, right next to the pros (thanks Janus)/ Got my bike from a volunteer when I noticed a lot of resistance pushing it. A very attentive guy quickly asked what was wrong and we assesed my front brake was rubbing. We fixed it and I was off. I must say the morning of, my bike was squished in pretty tight, so it must have messed this up.

Unzip as I ran. Go a little faster. Fine with this though.
Bike
  • 6h 37m 7s
  • 112 miles
  • 16.92 mile/hr
Comments:

Actual ride time 6:20. 17 minutes spent going pee, stopping at special needs and picking up a dropped water bottle :o I battled with the decision to pee on the bike. It was so crowded, it didn't feel right to do it. Plus, I figured what's a few minutes? Well, quite a bit with only 2 porta potties.

Also, about 3 miles into the ride, the inside of my right knee started to hurt. Weird. I've had knee pain on rides in training and racing but not this pain here. I had it the rest of the ride. I was worried for the run, but when I got off to pee, it felt ok and just hurt when I got back on the bike, so I figured if I didn't blow it I'd be ok.

I got passed by a bunch of people. I was pretty quick out of the water, so that's to be expected, but I just was slow on the last part. My avg hr for the last part was low, so I could have pushed it but my knee freaking hurt. I took some tylenol 8 hour (thanks Sue for the suggestion!!!) and TUMS (thanks Janelle for the suggestion!!) and rubbed Activ On all over my knee often, carrying the stick of it with me. I also drew upon strength from my inspiration to iron, Kyle, and knew I could get through this. I also totally worked the crowd! I got them to scream and cheer for me all along the route. They were very responsive.

Because I did Janus, I got a red bib, whereas all the other age groupers were orange. I got asked by about 50 people what the red bib was for. I got lots of props for being a fundraiser. In all honesty, the race was the icing on the cake. It's been an incredible journey this year. I've seen friends, family and strangers come together in support of my efforts and that has meant more than doing some silly race will ever mean. But the race was still way freaking cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was so glad to get to Front Beach Road!! As I made the turn by Willie's I was pumping the crowd for some love, when I saw my support crew all in a row with their shirts and signs and I felt so glad to be back! My husband said he had been wondering where I was, hoping everything was ok, when he saw someone that looked like me round the corner. He then figured it wasn't me, as it's out of character for me to work a crowd like that, but then he saw it was!! Ha! I still keep him guessing after 20 years :) My friends and family were all so happy and having such a great time, it made me so happy.

Nothing. I did what I could for this day!
Transition 2
  • 07m 39s
Comments:

As I got off the bike I said "God it's good to be off this bike" and got a few chuckles from the crowd! They took my bike and I got my bag and walked over to the tent. Yes. I walked (sorry Torben and Steffi :) ). I got my visor on, and my running shoes, and grabbed my gus and a puff of my inhaler (I noticed on the bike it was kind of hard to get a deep breath - maybe the lack of humidity up there???) then used the porta potty and walked to the start of the run. The crowd was pretty good at this point, but I just wanted to get going.

not much. what do I know about Ironman transition????
Run
  • 4h 53m 3s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

It has been 8 years since I have run a full mary, and in training the longest run I did all in a row was 15 miles...I put a lot of trust my coach for this! I took off at a pace of 9:39 for the first mile and knew that was going to be too fast, so I slowed it down - 9:45 mile 2, 10:00 for mile 3 . I was spot on the first 6 miles with GU and water and gatorade. Then my belly started to get full. It became increasingly difficult to want to take in enough nutrition. I kept thinking if I could just pee, I'd be good. I tried to pee at about 10 different nasty porty potties, and I had nuttin. I wasn't processing. It never left my belly. Legs were ok, heart rate was LOW! I was ready. I don't know when it got really uncomfortable, but it seems like it was the whole rest of the race. I just keep trying to take in what I could..mostly gatorade, water and an occasional GU with a few sips of coke now and again. I met a guy on the first loop who was from Arizona and we ran for a bit together which was nice. I think his name was Tim. We split up somewhere before the first loop, but it was ok, I was feeling good and again working the crowd. They were so much fun!!! The drunk people, the lady playing Ironman on the accordian, the people in costumes. I saw Jess and Jeff at mile something or another with their kissing booth and after running past, had to run back and snag a kiss from that hot tri chick!

I made it back to the turn around and there was my cheering squad all in a line!!! I gave each one a kiss, on down the line of 12 or 13 then ran around to get my special needs bag. I got a long sleeve shirt, as it was getting pretty breezy and chilly out there and put away my sunglasses (sniff-they disappeared by morning from this bag, as did my timex watch from T2) and grabbed a few more GUs. I was glad I didn't need any more tylenol or Tums or anything. I got some crowd support and headed back to the next loop. I just thought if I can make it to the park, I'll be golden.

I found Tim from Arizona about mile 16 again, and he was walking. I got him to run with me, and he said he was glad, as he was resigned to do a 5 min walk / 5 min run the rest of the race. We stayed together until about mile 23 or 24. We made ourselves a promise if we ran to every aid station, we could walk. So that's what we did. He had to stop for a bit somewhere (mile 21?) to use the potty and told me to go on, but I didn't really want to so I waited. I wasn't sure I wanted to be alone. About mile 19 I could feel twinges of cramping in my hamstring and calf so I had broth at the next 3 or 4 stations, afraid I'd spasm. This seemed to keep it at bay.

Tim and I had agreed to run our own races the last 2 miles, and not hold eachother up for the end. Just before mile 24 he was ready to run pretty quick after reaching the aid station, so I let him go. I knew at mile 22 I was going to make it, and even run it, so it was good. We said our goodbyes and I thanked God for such a beautiful day with such beautiful people and started to dig in for the final kick. At this point my garmin battery quit, so I have no idea what my pace was for the final 2, but I'm sure it was pretty good, as I felt strong and good and happy and just wanted to see that arch and cross that line. I came running into the finish area, pumping my arms and celebrating and whooping, and the crowd was there just carrying me to the finish!!! I found my family and friends and my husband came with me hand and hand across the finish, my arms raised in total victory!!! I had done it. I had become an IRONMAN!!! Everyone that was with me gave me hugs and kisses and I got my picture taken and just smiled and smiled. I had done it.

I don't know. I'll think about it for next time and get back to you on that.
Post race
Warm down:

I stood in a daze for a bit, then tried to take action. We figured out I needed to get my stuff, so my husband helped with that while everyone waited (they had the car!). We grabbed some pizza, and I tried to eat a slice but blech. I tried to drink my Endurox-got about 1/2 down. We drove home and I took a lukewarm shower, drank 2 waters and a glass of OJ. The kids snuggled with me, and my daughter and I fell asleep together in the bed. She had literally walked her little 8 year old legs about 10 miles that day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being a virgin.

Event comments:

I had talked to a 10 time Ironman before I left. He was so excited for me. He has only done NAS Ironman races, and I questioned him on that. He said it's more than just the distance, it's the whole experience. He knows if something happens on the course he'll be attended to. He can depend on them for nutritional and hydration needs. They take care of you from start to finish. It was great for me, but also my family and friends. They had the best time!!! I felt like a rock star out there. I can't wait to do another, and in fact my husband is excited to see what I can do...but not till 09.

We didn't attend the athlete's dinner, but did attend the awards banquet, as I was in the top 5 for the Janus Charity Challenge (#5). It was a great evening, and I'm so glad we went. We got to sit with Frank Farrar (the 78 year old who has done 32, I think, and raised like $200,000 for his charity and his lovely wife. We sat at a Janus table in the VIP section, amongst the pros and race organizers.

I finally cried after we walked out of the banquet. I thought I'd cry at the finish, but I was so happy then, it didn't hit me. The human spirit present at this race, and then on display at the banquet was overwhelming, and I finally let it all out. What a fantastic way to spend a weekend.

Last updated: 2007-09-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:09:01 | 3800 meters | 01m 35s / 100meters
Age Group: 16/105
Overall: 724/
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot one piece and borrowed wet suit
Course: 2 loops.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 06:58
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:37:07 | 112 miles | 16.92 mile/hr
Age Group: 64/105
Overall: 1750/
Avg HR was 133/ Max 155. 133 is the bottom of my zone 2. Hit my garmin at the halfway mark - was averaging 18.4, with avg hr of 135. Next hour averaged 17.5/ avg hr 135. Last 2:20 averaged 16.1 / avg hr 129
Wind: Some
Course: a giant loop. Mostly nice roads, a few rollers on the back side. The last 30 miles or so were in a head wind, on rough road, then we had a quick left turn and headed up the bridge. The wind seemed much stronger on the last part!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 07:39
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:53:03 | 26.2 miles | 11m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 50/105
Overall: 1147/
Garmin says run time 4:20/ avg hr 144. So, I lost 33 minutes out there! dang.
Course: 2 loops through neighborhoods, busy intersections and park. Flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-11-06 3:29 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
Subject: Ironman Florida

2007-11-06 3:36 PM
in reply to: #1040652

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida
Great race report Mimi.  Congrats Ironman!!!!
2007-11-06 4:14 PM

User image

FL
Great job figuring out the bike brake right away, working through the knee pain and becoming an IRONMAN!!
2007-11-06 4:26 PM

User image

Expert
Herndon VA

Congrats on the race and I really enjoyed your race report.

Ernie 

2007-11-06 4:36 PM

User image

Master
Long Island, NY
Wow!!  Way to savor the experience and work the crowd.  You even had the wherewithall to pick Tim up!  Don't know you, but you seem to bless all those you touch! CONGRATS IRONMAN!!
2007-11-06 4:47 PM

Veteran
Absolutely amazing! I have tears in my eyes reading this. You are so articulate and it felt like I was there (will be next year). You are an IRONMAN!

2007-11-06 5:20 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
What an absolutely perfect Ironman, Mimi! I am so, so impressed! Thanks for the kiss.
2007-11-06 5:34 PM

User image

Pro
Evanston,

What a beautiful, beautiful experience!  Thanks for sharing it with us.

And:  congratulations, Ironman!   

2007-11-06 5:56 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member
Just awesome.  Your fund raising is inspiring as is your Ironman finish.  Congratulations.  Thanks for the race report.
2007-11-06 6:03 PM

User image

Master
South Florida

OMG!!!  how could I forget this in my race report???  The above tag line spurred my memory! 

I saw Deanna Babcock out there twice!!!!  She had lovely blonde hair, a gorgeous red leg, and a bright smile!!!!!  I shouted once, "Deanna?" as I went by on the bike and then said, "I'm from BT"!!  

2007-11-06 6:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pennsylvania
I think it is really cool how you meet people at these major triathlons. It is always good to have a running partner on these long events and it looks you you and Tim kept each other honest until the end. Congrats, you did great!

2007-11-06 6:47 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Great race Mimi !!!!

I gave you a huge BT shout-out during the awards ceremony for you during the Janus presentation! 

Glad to meet you before the race for the practice swim - sounds like you did GREAT during the race  swim.

Good Luck in your 2009 IM !!!

Danny 

2007-11-06 7:18 PM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Congratulations Mimi!!  You had an awesome race and your RR was a great read!  It was nice to see you out on the bike!
2007-11-06 7:54 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
You are amazing, congrats on a great job.
2007-11-06 7:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia

Congrats Ironman Mimi!

I was a jockstrap this race but attended the awards banquet.  Congrats on top 5 for the Janus Charity Challenge!  Great race report.  I know I'll come back to these reports next year as I prepare for my first IM at Florida. 

2007-11-06 8:02 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Big time congrats Mimi  You did AMazing both in the race and with your fundraising as well  

2007-11-06 9:13 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Impressive race!

Congrats Ironman~

Love your RR and how you had a sense of humor and enjoyed the day. 

2007-11-06 10:52 PM

Master
Boston

Mimi- you are such a natural athlete. I really can't wait to see what kind of damage you can do in 2009. For your first IM experience, I don't think you could have asked for a better race than that! Glad you remembered the tylenol and tums!!

I'm so glad I remembered to call you on Friday, instead of Saturday. I've gotta remember IM's are on Saturdays!

CONGRATS IRONWOMAN! YOU ROCK! 

2007-11-07 12:10 AM

Champion

Hey, you have my vote...you're a pro as far as I'm concerned.  Oh yeah, you're also an Ironman and one helluva good all around gal too!  Congrats on a fantastic race, all the training sure paid off! 

2007-11-07 6:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
What an amazing race! I looked for you on Thursday morning at the gatorade swim. I even asked one woman if she was you. Sorry I never got to meet you. Maybe we will meet up in 2009! Congratulations on an awesome day!
2007-11-07 8:40 AM

User image

2007-11-07 8:55 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham

I loved your RR- it seemed to capture all the aaspects of the race. I'm so glad you had a great race and enjoyed the whole journey.  Congrats on raising so much money through Janus and becoming an IM- what an accomplishment!

BTW- I looked for all the pink on the run course but never saw you.  I was also looking for you to run into the T1 changing tent and still never saw you. I'm not sure you really exist yet

2007-11-07 9:18 AM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation

I can't wait to give you a hug this weekend!

Congratulations!  You've had a great year! 

2007-11-07 10:03 AM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Major props for your race and fundraising.  You really took us there in your RR.  Congrats!
2007-11-07 11:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Miami

I got teary eyed while reading the race report!!!( not good while  at work)  but I just wanted to read the RR!!

supa proud of you, this is sooo amzing, thank you for taking the time and sharing the stories!!! awesome awesome, cannot wait for my turn next year! weeeeeee

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Florida Rss Feed  

of 2