General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Commuting by b ike during the winter? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-11-06 3:31 PM

User image

Regular
Grand Island, NY
Subject: Commuting by b ike during the winter?
Anyone else out there have experience commuting all through the winter? If so, share your stories.

How do you cope with the cooler/wetter weather? Ride in the snow? Any recommendations of technique or gear that you've encountered?

Obviously we're going to have some people from...I don't know...San Diego or Tucson or someplace equally wonderful year round. I don't want to say their opinion doesn't count...but, "slogging" through 55 degree weather isn't exactly what I'm talking about.

So how about it... anyone?

2007-11-06 6:57 PM
in reply to: #1040653

New user
Subject: RE: Commuting by b ike during the winter?
I used to commute in Fargo ND during the winter on my mountain bike. My commute was about 4 miles each way. Rain, sleet, ice, snow, -25 F it didn't matter.

My main problem was keeping from overheating. For some reason I had a hard time not piling the clothes on and often arrived at work sweaty. ( I think it had something to do with hearing on the radio that it was -25 F )

My equipment list:

Nokian studded tires comparable to the W160
Neoprene Face mask
Ski Goggles
Ski gloves
Ski Pants

Road Condition Issues
Clean Roads are Best
Icy Roads are very close to Clean Roads, you just need to be careful putting your foot down
Hard Packed Snow is not to bad but be careful turning sharply
Loose Snow is like riding through sand, not very much fun
Slush is just messy no matter what
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Commuting by b ike during the winter? Rss Feed