General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swim technique - breathing Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-11-07 3:07 PM

Subject: swim technique - breathing
Here is one for the swim experts:

How much residual air do you guys (and girls) keep in your lungs between breaths? I have fairly muscular legs, which is great on the bike leg, but hell for buoancy in the pool. I find that I have to keep my lungs "inflated" between breaths to keep me high in the water (this is even after doing all the TI drills etc.). I have been told to exhale under water to make breathing easier but if I exhale too much air I start to sink. I can swim this way, but it is with very shallow breathing. Just wondering how other differ on this (this is not an issue when wearing my wet-suit but the purist in me would like to swim better without the suit).
Thanks!

2007-11-07 4:00 PM
in reply to: #1042539

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
Subject: RE: swim technique - breathing

There's residual air in there?  Honestly, I can say that I have never paid attention to that.  I suppose I do not exhale completely, but I think that I purge most of the air from my lungs before breathing again.  Maybe it depends on your lung capacity?  I don't think I could swim for long if I were breathing shallowly.  I'd say keep working on your stroke, and try to keep forward momentum going in the water.

I guess you could always try swimming with a buoy, then work on weening yourself from it. 

2007-11-07 4:08 PM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Only enough if in cased I'm swamped by a wave, otherwise if a full exhale!

I feel your pain on the balance, I too suffered from this. Just kept working at it with a buoy and fins.  A better kick helped me a lot with overall balance, fins and kick drills baby!

2007-11-07 7:21 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Not much (not that I think about it much), but it does take training/practice to exhale fully and still feel "comfortable" in the water, as it's usually deeper breathing than on dry land. 
2007-11-07 10:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
MN

Kinda like running; you don't keep air in your lungs there, just use what you need.  Slight difference, you have to "extend" your breathing cycle.  Quick breathe in, hold, slow breathe out, exhale(for me mostly in water), big inhale...

I know nothing about your stroke etc, but if you can lengthen it, your HR will slow down and your O2 requirements will go down as well, making it easier to breathe (unless you start kickin ).

I sink like a stone so the big legs thing does not make sense to me.  I kick mostly to keep my legs up.

2007-11-08 1:34 AM

masterchief - 2007-11-07 3:07 PM
How much residual air do you guys (and girls) keep in your lungs between breaths? I have fairly muscular legs, which is great on the bike leg, but hell for buoancy in the pool. I find that I have to keep my lungs "inflated" between breaths to keep me high in the water (this is even after doing all the TI drills etc.). I have been told to exhale under water to make breathing easier but if I exhale too much air I start to sink. I can swim this way, but it is with very shallow breathing. Just wondering how other differ on this (this is not an issue when wearing my wet-suit but the purist in me would like to swim better without the suit).
Thanks!

masterchief, you should exhale COMPLETELY before inhaling. Buoyancy shouldn't be a problem when you're swimming like it can be when you drill. I recommend that some folks hold their breath doing the drills, but only because they're moving so slowly in the early stages. But doing whole stroke, figure out how long you take between breaths & start to practice exhaling over that amount of time or a bit longer. If you breathe every 2-3 strokes (there's no need to wait longer), you'll only have your face in the water for what, maybe 5 seconds tops? I can't imagine that "gradually" exhaling over 5 seconds would have any measurable impact on your buoyancy. But leaving CO2 (not oxygen) in your system will gradually erode your comfort level. It'll lead to the shallow breathing you mentioned & you'll get tense, possibly feeling panicky.
Without seeing you swim I can't be sure, but you might have some other "issues" - balance, kick quality, body &/or head position - that are getting in the way of seamless, rhythmic breathing. Got video?

2007-11-08 6:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New Jersey
I had been struggling with gasping for air while swimming since I was emptying all the air out of my lungs before breathing again...as an asthmatic, that is not a good thing. I took my first stroke class last night and my instructor said to blow bubbles out my nose while swimming and then turn my head to breath before I was out of air. It definitely made it easier for me to complete even 50 yards without gasping for air.

So, I guess for some people it is probably not wise to completely empty your lungs between breaths but I can tell you I was not breathing shallowly doing this.

Good luck figuring out what works best for you.
Randi
2007-11-08 7:55 AM
in reply to: #1043459

Swimguy (and everyone else),
thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, I don't have a video. It seems like from most people's responses that this is NOT the way to go. I will keep on truckin in the pool and work on technique. I guess it is time for me get a coach. I am a pretty athletic guy and usually have no problems picking up new sports quickly, but this swim thing...man!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » swim technique - breathing Rss Feed