General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim observation from this weeks training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-11-08 12:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Swim observation from this weeks training
So I made an observation this week after my pool sessions. I have noticed that each time I get out of the pool I have zero fatigue in my legs. My kick really isn't that strong, I use it mostly for balance and I have been doing the TI drills before each swim, which has helped alot. Now my arms, lats, shoulders and other back muscles, different story! Those are seriously fatigued at the end of a swim. They are actually even sore most times and stay that way for a good part of the day.

Now I am not sure if this a good thing or a bad thing. I would guess coming out of the swim with really fresh legs is a great thing for tris, but is something wrong with using mostly the upper body for the swim?

Since changing to breathing on every stroke I am no longer having any breathing issues and really the only thing that I feel is keeping me from swimming longer is just general swim conditioning. Things seem to finally be coming around for me and it is amazing what you can do if you actually give it an honest attempt. I was able to swim 2x200yds today for the first time ever! Not a long distance, but I did feel like I could have done one more set, but I didn't want to push it to much.

2007-11-08 12:55 PM
in reply to: #1044082

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Swim observation from this weeks training
great job on the 2x200m! I'm having a hard time with 2x50m! as for the legs, I think as long as your legs aren't dragging and they feel fresh coming out of the water that is a good thing as far as being a triathlete. Mind you I'm not one to give advice on swimming.
2007-11-08 1:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fridley, MN, USA
I wouldn't see a major disadvantage to it in terms of a triathlon. Chances are you won't be wanting to kick until the end of the swim just to warm up your legs... so you had might as well work your upper body enough so you can get through the swim in a tri!
2007-11-08 2:05 PM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Newbie triathlete but longerm swimmer here. I don't kick at all. Really, a few flutters each length of the pool, but you really couldn't call it kicking. I finished 2nd in my age group on the swim in my first tri. Distance swimmers generally don't kick much as it causes too much fatigue for not enough gain. They really only kick when doing 50 or 100 sprints. Now, I do recommend working on the kick occassionally for passing people - it can give a nice boost of speed when used appropriately, but for probably 90%+ of my swimming I don't kick. I never have and feel it really helped me on the bike, I started the bike feeling as though I hadn't worked out my legs at all yet (probably because I hadn't).
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swim observation from this weeks training Rss Feed