New York Road Runners
53F / 12C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 00m 53s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

My pre-race routine for this marathon was the same as it was for MCM the weekend before. I walked all over the city for 2 days and did not rest my feet or legs. I was in my favorite city, like I am going to just lounge around the hotel. The hotel was sweet though, G wants to live there.
Event warmup:

Went to the NYPL to catch the bus to Staten Island, I ate some Honey Nut Cheerios and drank some water on the ride there. When I got to the staging area I found the area I was supposed to hang out in until the start. I was cold so I got some hot tea with honey and lemon and it made me feel so much warmer. I copped a squat on a blanket that these two guys were sitting on..LOL I walked up to them and said "can I sit on your blanknet?" they ended up being very nice and we talked for almost 2 hours, they were from Connecticut and one of them was running his first marathon. I dropped off my bag at the UPS trucks and headed to the start...While I was walking I met a woman from Connecticut, seems to be a theme here. She had run other marathons but this was her first NY we talked and wished one another luck and then the cannons went off and I was on my way!
Run
  • 4h 00m 53s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

I started off well my legs felt pretty good and begin the climb up the Verrazano Narrows Bridge. No more than 2 minutes into the run a woman in front of me trips and falls down on her face. I stopped and helped her up, checked her out and she was ok and we both continued to run. I lost the woman from Ct as soon as we started. The bridge was packed with runners and It was slow going until I hopped up on the median of the bridge and took off passing people like crazy it was so much fun. As we exited the bridge and entered Brooklyn the people on the streets were playing music,banging on pots and pans and yelling "Welcome to Brooklyn" it was awesome. Around mile 3 I was already feeling pain in my quads and I thought to myself this is going to be a long day. I decided to try to distract myself by slapping hands with all the kids on the side of the road, I was getting down real low for the little ones and they loved it but, not as much as I did. Around mile 6 I hear someone say "hey you" and it was the woman from CT again. We ended up running the next like 10 miles together until I had to slow my pace down a bit. I lost her on one of the bridge climbs and then caught up to her again on the way down...I was just letting my legs go freely on the way down the bridges. We came into Manhattan and ran up 1st avenue for what seemed like forever and then up and over to the Bronx. I loved the people in the Bronx, they had tons of energy and by that time I needed all the pumping up I could get. The time in The Bronx was short and off we went through Harlem. I saw this one guy decked out in a lavender pinstripe suit..it was awesome. As we started heading south on 5th ave I was working hard to not slow down too much, I wanted to keep my pace for the entire race somewhat consistent. Finally we entered central park and by that point I knew if I could run two 8 minute miles I could go under 4 hours! I began to pick up the pace but just could not get moving quite fast enough. As I was running through the final corner I cold see the finish...it was time to fire up the jets and make my final sprint to the finish...my mind was saying go go go and my body was saying no no no! I had nothing so I just continued one foot in front of the other and finished my 1st NYC Marathon!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

I walked through the park and got some water and gatorade then I picked up my personal belongings bag and called G to find out where she was. I had text messages and voice mails so I listened and read them. Jeff(Q) called to see how I did so, I called him back and we talked while I made my way out of the park and to the Natural HIstory Museum to meet up with G. I had to call G again to find her I was in such a fog I forgot where she said she was going to be. After we met up I decided that I wanted to walk back to the hotel to keep my legs from cramping up....turns out that was a good idea even though it took forever!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Running the Marine Corps Marathon 7 days earlier!

Event comments:

This was a great experience for me, I loved the course. I am so excited that I had another marathon PR 1 week after doing MCM. I was not sure what my body was going to do but it held out for me and mentally I was very strong. I will apply for the lottery again so I can try to run it again next year! I love NYC and being there with my G was as always a great weekend.

Last updated: 2007-07-08 12:00 AM
Running
04:00:53 | 26.2 miles | 09m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: All five burroughs of NY
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-11-08 8:24 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2007-11-09 2:23 PM
in reply to: #1044792

Master
brummie land
Subject: RE: ING New York City Marathon

a reply for you

so cool to read your rr and know where you describe, and that's not just from watching our paula kick some a$$ that same day!

congrats on the pr also

2007-11-09 4:38 PM

Master
Plant City, FL
Congrats on an awesome marathon!! Sounds like a fabulous time.
2007-11-09 6:24 PM

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Awesome Job Bets
2007-11-12 3:05 PM

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts
Yay!  I could totally see everything you were describing!  That was awesome!!  Congrats on such an awesome experience!!  Welcome to the Maniacs too!!
2007-11-14 1:39 PM

Champion
Carlsbad, California

Great job running the double. (Sounds like your in for MM)

Most of my marathoner  friends swear that multiple races on the same training cycle is an excellent way to big time improvements. (I cannot argue with them)

NYC is an awesome experience made all that much better by running through the town like a rock star. Glad to hear you had a great race, met some folks along the way and enjoyed yourself.

Cheers

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » ING New York City Marathon Rss Feed