Rochester Orienteering Club
43F / 6C
Overcast
Total Time = 55m 59s
Overall Rank = 41/102
Age Group = F
Age Group Rank = 7/28
Pre-race routine:

I was up early to take Harry to hockey practice at 7am so I took my breakfast (oatmeal) with me in a flask and ate it while he was on the ice. I actually had about 20mins spare time after dropping him back at home so had a coffee too. Headed down to the race site about an hour before start time, drank some Gatorade and met up with Kam32 (and hubby) and Dexter.
Event warmup:

A bit of jogging back and forth from car and bathrooms (weak bladder). I had a gel and water about half hour pre race.
Couldn't bear to take my coat off so took it off at last minute and left it in Dexter's car (thanks Dexter)
Run
  • 55m 59s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

my age group F30-39 3/9 I knew most of the trails 'cos I walk the dog and sometimes jog them so I knew where the killer bits were but in all honestly there were a lot more than I ever thought possible.
The first and last miles were probably the easiest which is reflected in pace. The rest was just trying to keep my HR under control. Right up to LT (168) on every hill and using downhills to get in back down. I was happy to keep it in low 160's. There were a couple of hills that I walked the last part of, partly cos running was no faster and partly to keep my HR in check.
I finished strong which will be a nice memory as the last tri I did I had 0 gas left at the end. Having said that I couldn't have gone any faster, it was just nice to be able to sprint (?) a bit at the finish and I passed a female (thanks to it being down hill I think).
Pacing was just right and I was in a group of around the same pace most of the way round. I overtook a few and a few overtook me -although one man that I went past I heard chatting and he was doing the 50K so that wasn't much of an achievement on my part really!
I really surprised myself by how much I enjoyed this race and think I may do some other running races now which I have been reluctant to do. It is a great way of getting an intense workout. Trail runs are fun. I wore my trail shoes so wish it had been a bit muddier as I was dressed to play!
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed some water and chatted to Kam32 and Dexter. Walked up to the lodge to feast on hot chocolate and bagels.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The easiest training ground for me is right outside my back door and is canal trails which are flat. If I want to go faster on a course like this I need to train on some hills.

Event comments:

We couldn't get the timing chips til about 15 mins before the race which meant we were queueing and getting cold. It would have been nice to pick it up earlier and then just concentrate on warm up/ getting ready.

There was beer at the post race lodge. Not that I wanted it but I thought it was a nice touch.

Last updated: 2007-11-07 12:00 AM
Running
00:55:59 | 06.21 miles | 09m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/28
Overall: 0/102
Performance: Good
mile av pace av HR 1 8:05 149 2 9:00 158 3 9:05 161 4 9:14 161 5 9:18 163 6 8:47 164 forgot to stop Garmin so not sure about last bit.
Course: Challenging! 1 loop of trails in Mendon Ponds park, apart from first bit which is slightly up hill most is just up and down
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-11-10 4:16 PM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Subject: Mendon Trail Run

2007-11-10 6:41 PM
in reply to: #1047221

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
Subject: RE: Mendon Trail Run

Yeah, you did run a good race!  Maybe we should meet e/o occasionally at Mendon to run the trails.  It would be good training for the snowshoe duathlon you're doing with me and dex, and maybe mikehall and marmadaddy!   Wink

2007-11-10 8:31 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Great job Jackie Smile.  I'm glad you were able to make it.  Thanks for kicking leaves all over me.  
2007-11-12 8:04 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Great job Jackie! You're right about running the races, nicer way to get in the intense training in a great social environment!  I can't imagine doing a 50K trail run though.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mendon Trail Run Rss Feed