Richmond Marathon
40F / 4C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 02m 20s
Overall Rank = 2026/4906
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 426/507
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 6:45. Decided not to take a shower because I didn't think my hair would dry and I didn't really want to have to use the blow dryer. Got dressed, made some coffee, ate some yogurt and headed out. I made Andy drive so I could drink coffee on the drive down.
Event warmup:

Walked about 5 blocks to the start site. Did some stretching and ran a few blocks. During that, I realized we'd be running into the wind for the first two miles. Yuck. Took 1 puff of my inhaler before dropping off my bag.
Run
  • 1h 02m 20s
  • 4.97 miles
  • 12m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off wearing shorts, a sleeveless shell, and a long-sleeved shirt over that. First mile felt pretty good. I was trying not to worry about all of the people passing me and running my own race. I ran the first mile in 12:01, which was where I wanted to be and was planning on doing negative splits after that. Starting having trouble breathing about a half a mile later. I was wheezing a little and breathing too hard and too fast so my diaphragm started to cramp up. I tried to slow down breathing. Got a little caught up around the water stop right before mile 2, so that slowed me down a little. Turned on right after mile 2 and got to go downhill for a bit. I started running too fast so my breathing got a bit troubled again. I walked for about 3 minutes and still finished the mile in 13:41, so I was definitely running too fast. Andy caught up with me around mile 3. I started having foot pain right around mile 3, too, in the area of the blister. Started getting really warm, almost overheated, so I took off the long-sleeved shirt. Much better without the extra shirt. I kept going as much as I could. This was the hilly area of the course. One "big" hill we ran most of the way up, but I ended up walking the last bit of it. My foot kept hurting, but it didn't help to slow down, so I kept going as much as I could. I wanted to run under an hour, but I couldn't run the last mile fast enough for that to work. It worked out ok - still faster than last year and a new PR so I feel pretty good.
What would you do differently?:

Carry my inhaler with me. I took it before, but I would have liked it between miles 1 and 2 to help loosen up my lungs.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. Put my shirt back on right after the race and then went to bag check. Put on pants and changed shoes and realized how bad of shape my left foot really is. The blister got much larger and split. It's feeling really awful right.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Had problems with getting breathing under control. I was hyperventilating a little because my lungs felt tight and my diaphragm cramped up a little bit. The blister on my arch was causing a lot of pain starting at mile 3.

Event comments:

It gets very crowded at the end and that can make it tough to get food and get bags. Other than that, it's a good race with lots of crowd support through the neighborhoods.

Last updated: 2007-10-25 12:00 AM
Running
01:02:20 | 04.97 miles | 12m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 427/507
Overall: 0/4906
Performance: Good
Mile 1: 12:01 Mile 2: 12:33 Mile 3: 13:41 (3 min walking) Mile 4: 12:38 To end: 11:26
Course: Two miles into the wind, then turn left for about a quarter of a mile, another left and down the rest of the way to the finish. Uphill for about a mile, then a few hills around mile 4. Downhill for about the last 10 blocks.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-11-10 5:26 PM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: Ntelos Richmond/nTelos 8k

2007-11-10 8:01 PM
in reply to: #1047267

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Subject: RE: Ntelos Richmond/nTelos 8k
Congrats on the PR! I heard the weather was a bit yucky this morning...but you weathered it well. Sorry about the blister - makes the PR even better!

WHOO WHOO WHOO!

Kristen
2007-11-11 5:47 PM
in reply to: #1047267

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Ntelos Richmond/nTelos 8k
Nice race!  I kept all my layers on caues I get cold really fast--wish I'd had DH get my coat out of the car so it would have been at the finish line for me.  Great job on your PR
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ntelos Richmond/nTelos 8k Rss Feed