General Discussion Race Reports! » Treasure Island Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Treasure Island Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Francisco, California
United States
TriCalifornia
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 57m 57s
Overall Rank = 37/336
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/34
Pre-race routine:

NOTE: THIS WAS A DEFACTO DUATHLON RACE. SWIM CANCELLED DUE TO OIL-SPILL INTO THE BAY MAKING THE WATER UNSAFE TO SWIM.

Set the alarm for 5:00am, woke up on autopilot at 4:45am. Dressed, ate a bagel & cream cheese, sipped water, got the bike on the car rack, and double-checked my gearlist.

Pulled out of the driveway at 5:45, and drove the 27 or so miles to Treasure Island. No traffic on an early Sunday morning.

Entered the TI Entry Gate around 6:10 or so, and parked in a small open lot immediately on the right past the first blockaded street. This was alot closer to the Transition Area than the "official" lots which were about 3/4 a mile away. This was my reward I suppose for getting there early.

Bike rack slots were assigned by BIB#, so I pulled into mine (#2190), which was only 3 slots from where I "wanted" to rack before I realized there were assigned racks. Funny.
Event warmup:

It was chilly out, but the sky was clear and you knew it was going to be a nice day. Milled around, checked out the Expo, took some pictures, hit the head, did a little warm-up run with accelerations, then just chilled until my wave was called.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 500 meters
  • / 100 meters
Transition 1
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

The race essentially started as a "T1". They corralled each age group at the start line (right in front of the cancelled Swim's timing-mats), and set-off each AG in 10-min. increments. I forgot what they called it. A Le Mans start? A Grand Prix start? Some reference to auto-racing where the drivers run to their cars before starting up.

Rules were no shoes, stocks, helmets, or gloves. You didn't have to don a wetsuit--probably because they knew alot of folks (like me) wouldn't even have their suits due to the cancelled swim.

You ran about 150 yards to the Transition Area, gear-up and took off.
Bike
  • 33m 9s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 22.50 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike course was a 4-mile circuit, a la Criterium. The roads were pretty crappy, with lots of uneven patching, potholes, tree-branch bumps, etc. Not as bad as I had "imagined" after reading up on this race, but not smooth riding by any means. Flat as a pancake.

Lots and lots of turns through the Treasure Island neighborhood. I'm not kidding when I saw there were probably 30 turns, or chicanes, per circuit. Bike handling was definitely an issue (not my strong suit by any means). In fact, this course was definitely better suited to a road-bike than a tri-bike for that reason--as I kept having to frequently leave my aero position to negotiate corners and traffic.

By the second and third lap, though, I stayed in aero for some of the less aggressive turns.

Additionally, the course was wet from the previous night's rain, with big puddles that you wanted to avoid because you didn't know what deep potholes lurked beneath.

There was one stretch of road where the wind was a factor, along the waterfront--running parallel to the run-course. Not a big factor, just a enough to slow you down a bit and require a gear change.

Saw lots of flats (at least a half-dozen) on the course. I lost my waterbottle somewhere on the 1st and 2nd circuit, cause when I became thirsty on the third--I reached back for my water bottle to only grab air. Damn.

Note: Saw alot of obvious drafting going on today. Don't know if it was on purpose (though I'm sure some of it was from what I saw). But, this criterium style course kind of forced everyone to ride in tight-packs...defacto pelotons.
What would you do differently?:

Take a road bike. Practice on circuit-style course, where turns, negotiating heavy traffic, and accelerations are the rule.
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Run
  • 23m 56s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, I haven't been training much or very hard for this season-ending race. I signed-up more to fulfill a 4-race/year requirement for my Club, than for any actual desire to race. But, its been good to at least get my to the gym and on the bike a little.
What would you do differently?:

Do some higher-intensity intervals in preparation for this race. My previous training was all geared towards long-course--and Sprints are for the fleet-of-feet and hummingbird-of-heart. Needless to say, neither are my strongsuits.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked to my bike, grabbed my gear, and headed towards the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

End-of-season "blahs", and mediocre motivation. I pushed because I was wearing my Club colors, and definitely didn't want to lollygag with them on.

Event comments:

Good organization. Crappy road conditions for the bike. Crit-style course means adjusting some tactics and even equipment (use a road bike). But, overall, in a pretty setting by the Bay.

Last updated: 2007-05-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 500 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 0/34
Overall: 0/336
Performance:
Suit:
Course: SWIM CANCELLED due to the 58,000-gallon oil/fuel spill in the SF Bay by the Korean Hajin container-ship on Wednesday. The water was deemed unsafe by Water officials, so this race become a defacto Duathlon.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:19
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:33:09 | 12.43 miles | 22.50 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/34
Overall: 33/336
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: The bike course was a 4-mile circuit, a la Criterium, through the streets.
Road: Potholes Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:56 | 03.11 miles | 07m 42s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/34
Overall: 68/336
Performance: Good
Course: 2-lap course, flat and fast.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-11-11 1:39 PM

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area
Subject: Treasure Island Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2007-11-11 3:59 PM
in reply to: #1047827

User image

Pro
MA
Subject: RE: Treasure Island Triathlon - Sprint Distance

Hey, nice race for the end of season.  So they didn't replace the swim with an additional loop of run?  Great placing - solid FOP!

2007-11-12 11:39 AM
in reply to: #1047921

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area
Subject: RE: Treasure Island Triathlon - Sprint Distance
D.K. - 2007-11-11 1:59 PM

Hey, nice race for the end of season. So they didn't replace the swim with an additional loop of run?

Nope.  Just a short run from the Swim Exit to the TA.

Great placing - solid FOP!

Thanks!  Actually, imagine my surprise last night when they revised the results (after they removed racers who missed the second loop of the run it looks like) and I got upped into 3rd for the Men's 40-44.  Not bad for my first "duathlon", huh?  LOL.

Anyway, here are some pics:

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Treasure Island Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed