General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me pick a trainging program- PLEASE Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-02-03 12:44 PM

Silver Spring, Maryland (By Way of Kamloops, B.C.)
Subject: Help me pick a trainging program- PLEASE
Hi

I want to get into triathlons, I competed in a few years ago... I'm still in pretty good shape- and I would like to know which one of the training programs on this site I should follow.

About me:

Female, 23, 5'5, 137lbs, Former Collegiate swimmer, soccer player, work-out regularly, do not have a road bike but have access to stationary

OH, I want to compete in sprint and olympic triathlons

Please help!

Thanks

2004-02-03 2:24 PM
in reply to: #5871

Woodbury, NJ
Subject: RE: Help me pick a trainging program- PLEASE

Hi and welcome! Seeing that you already finished a few tri's I would say that you are ahead of some of us here(myself included). In my not so infinite wisdom, I would suggest not picking a couch to....program since you are already in good aerobic condition. Being in a some what similar physical condition when I began, I chose to train for the longer Oly and throw a handful of Sprints in there along the way. I will view those sprints as a training tool for my "A" race. But that is me and I havn't even stepped up to a Tri starting line yet. Hopefully that will change when the weather breaks though! Good luck and keep us posted!

2004-02-03 4:43 PM

User image

Champion
Gold member

was that 20min run easy that i saw in your logs?  the 16week sprints will get u through till begining of june...perfect time to race a sprint or two THEN can start a 16week oly interspersed with a few sprint races (with a few weeks of 'EZ' weeks to recoup betweem sprint & oly)  This should bring u up to october?  i am not sure where u live BUT i can do your oly in october or START the sprint program a few weeks into it providing u can comfortably do the times...that will allow an oly in aug/sep???

if u r still real good in swimming fro example, u dont have to follow the program exactly, do your long swims or whatever your used to but follow the program for the discipline u need work in.

2004-02-03 6:50 PM

, Alabama
Hi and welcome. Sounds like you have a pretty good base. You say you don't have a road bike. Do you have any bike? Stationary is good to get you started or if you live somewhere with too much snow to ride, but you'll need to get the feel of the road too.

Sharon

P.S. I can't even remember when I was 23! UGHHH
2004-02-04 12:17 AM

Milwaukee, WI
Hi Whatwillbe,

Your situation sounds almost exactly the same as mine....I'm also female, 5'6, 136 pounds and have started training this week for my first tri. Last year I completed a olypmic duathlon and this year I want to compete in a sprint and olympic tri. I decided to start with the 16 week training program for the sprint distance which will put me competing in a race first weekend in June in Kalamazoo, MI. Then I'll continue on with my training for the olypmic distance and will compete in a race in early September in South Haven, MI. I would suggest starting out training for a sprint tri and working your way up...even though you're already in good shape I would start at the beginning. This way you're not burning yourself out too early and you get a feel for what the training will be like for an olympic tri.
Best of luck in your training!
2004-02-04 12:26 AM
in reply to: #5947

User image

Champion
Gold member
hey hez...congrats on starting that first week of training for your first tri!

2004-02-04 8:05 AM
in reply to: #5948

Milwaukee, WI
Thanks Ron! I'm just coming back from having knee surgery in September..torn ACL...actually it's my 5th knee surgery so I'm hoping that I'm going to be able to reach my goal. I'm looking forward to finally being able to get back into some serious training and thought what better than a tri!
2004-02-04 9:54 AM

Silver Spring, Maryland (By Way of Kamloops, B.C.)
Thanks everyone - sounds like 16 week sprint is what I should try- I also came across this program http://www.trinewbies.com/1TPbegOl.htmanyone familiar with it?
2004-02-04 11:56 AM
in reply to: #5973

User image

Champion
Gold member

good program/info too...goes by distance so either know your pace so u can guess how much time to do the miles or figure out the distances on your routes. 

2004-02-05 8:45 PM

User image

New user
Air Force Base in Texas
determine what you would like to do- pick up the TRAINING GUIDES FOR MULTISPORT ATHLETES- via amazon.com for cheap used book and follow the guideline. it has helped me and I do not have to question the what to do today. it has plans up to a year and for every type of race- sprint, oly, ironman... blah, blah, and duathlons. it works based on your level of fitness and amount of time you'll be able to dedicate to the sport. it has helped so much.

plus it provides workouts for those dreaded indoor days, plyometrics, and strength training programs.

get the book I say because a lot of my questions are answered with that and the triathlete training bible.
greetings and I am sure we'll speak again. enjoy and SWIM, FLY, RUN-- GOOD TIMES.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Help me pick a trainging program- PLEASE Rss Feed