USM Events
32C / 90F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 45m 30s
Overall Rank = 1178/2129
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 222/323
Pre-race routine:

Drove up to Noosa on the Saturday afternoon and checked in the bike. I managed to squeeze my bike into row 3 (this was close to the bike exit so I wouldn't have far to run). I also checked in my brother-in-laws bike as he was going in the team race. I had a look around the expo, tried on a few bits and pieces (didn't buy anything though) and ran into a couple of buddies who were all excited about competing in the Noosa tri for the first time.
Event warmup:

On Sunday morning I picked up my brother-in-law at sparrows and ended up ready in transition with about one and a half hours to spare. My age group wave wasn't due to until 8.10am so I just hung around with the other thousand or so competitors waiting for the start.
Swim
  • 33m
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 12s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was pretty relaxed waiting for the swim start so when it was time to hit the water i was keen to get stuck into it. I started in the middle of the pack and got a good start and rounded the first buoy with no problems. The swim is in a tidal canal and I think it must have been low tide because in some paces you could touch the ground with your feet and a lot of people were actually walking rather then swimming (is this cheating?). I joined in at one stage and ran about a 100 meters or so. During the last half of the race I got bashed around a fair bit. The team swimmers (who started after the individual competitors) caught up to us individuals and swim over us. I received quite a few scratches and bumps from these guys and also an accidental elbow to the head for good measure. Overall though I thought I had swam a good leg.
What would you do differently?:

When I got out of the water and saw my watch I was pretty disappointed. Here I was thinking I had done a great swim but my watch showed I was 3 minutes slower then last year, unbelievable.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I quickly tried to forget about the bad swim time and focused on getting in and out of transition as quick as I could. I found my bike, donned the helmet and glasses and picked up a couple of gels.

T1 was all good.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 48s
  • 40 kms
  • 32.52 km/hr
Comments:

I managed to jump on my bike and slip into my shoes fairly easily and headed off on the cycle course. I passed my family after 2k's which was great and they all gave me a huge cheer. The bike leg is normally pretty busy at Noosa, which means there is normally heaps of opportunities to draft (it's only cheating if you get caught) the faster team competitors as they come whizzing past. There is a down side of course. Some of these team competitors are fiercely competitive and are normally yelling and screaming for everybody to stay left. It gets a bit hairy when you’re trying to pass a slower cyclist and then the team cyclists are trying to pass you. Most times it ended up in a shouting match "keep left!!!" "get out of the way!!!" "stay right!!!", you know what I mean.

Anyway, apart from the yelling the cycle leg was pretty uneventful and I managed to finish in around the same time as I did last year. This made me a happy camper!!
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T2 was good. I got off the bike and racked it back in row 3. I slipped on the shoes, picked up another GU (I only had one on the bike so i had 2 left for the run) and headed out.

All good
Run
  • 58m 41s
  • 10 kms
  • 05m 52s  min/km
Comments:

Mmmm.....as I started the run I felt like crap, not wanting to spew crap just a bit tired crap. I tried to stay positive after having a good cycle leg but at this stage i knew I wasn't going to beat last years time so it kind of made it hard to push myself to run faster. It was a ridiculously hot day too which didn't make matters any better.

My run was realy about staying cool. Every water station I grabbed 2 cups of water. I drank one and tipped the other over my head. I passed the family again and this spurred me on some but once they were out of site I really started to struggle. The finishing line couldn't come soon enough and as I crossed the line I looked at my watch and wasn't to surprised to see a fairly slow time.

My run training has dropped off a bit as I started a new job so I kind of knew that I would struggle in the run.
Post race
Event comments:

The Noosa tri is a massive event with thousands of competitors. This means there is a fantastic astrosphere but this year was the first time that it felt slightly overcrowded.

When I crossed the line I was hot, exhausted and very relieved to have finally finished. A few silly thoughts about this being my last Noosa Tri raced through my head but I think they were the result of feeling disappointed about my run time (and also my poor overall time, nowhere near a PB).

.....but as I write this report (which is now over a week late) I think back to the day and yes it was a rough and tough race but I did also have a heap of fun.

Last updated: 2007-10-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:00 | 1500 meters | 02m 12s / 100meters
Age Group: 232/323
Overall: 1378/2129
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 24C / 75F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:13:48 | 40 kms | 32.52 km/hr
Age Group: 175/323
Overall: 840/2129
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:58:41 | 10 kms | 05m 52s  min/km
Age Group: 245/323
Overall: 1434/2129
Performance: Bad
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-11-12 7:39 PM

User image

Veteran
Brisbane
Subject: Noosa Triathlon

2007-11-12 8:06 PM
in reply to: #1050056

User image

Extreme Veteran
Melbourne
Subject: RE: Noosa Triathlon
Yay a report, finally!!

I'm sorry this wasn't a PB for you, by all reports very tough conditions on race day.
Some day you will OWN that course, so you gotta go back.
The main thing is that you had a great time.
2007-11-13 8:52 PM
in reply to: #1050056

User image

Veteran
Perth, Oz
Subject: RE: Noosa Triathlon

yay I've been very patiently waiting for a report

some news that might make you happier,  I've heard several reports that they swim course was long,  if you look at some of the pro's times I would believe that too.  so don't be disheartened.

And it sounds like it was a really hot tough day,  It was damn hot last year so if it was hotter I'm not surprised it was a harder.

great work.  i would relaly love to do Noosa again but the overcrowding is a little offputting.  Have you done Mooloolaba?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Noosa Triathlon Rss Feed