Sports Backers
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 46m 52s
Overall Rank = 953/3783
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 53/296
Pre-race routine:

Stretched(which I never do) Drank a boost at 7:00 and packed extra clothes and left hotel.
Event warmup:

Jogged to start which was all uphill about 5 blocks.
Run
  • 3h 46m 52s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Clothing: Capri pants, short sleeve dry fit, long sleeve with mock turtle neck dry fit, and a polar fleece face mask which covered my entire face except my eyes. Pictures as soon as I get them from race :) People were calling me ninja girl out on the course..I looked intimidating. hehe.
Mile 1-6: I spent the first few miles trying to get my pace. I wanted to run 8:20's but I was running a little faster..so I would try and compensate but it didn't really work. So I just ran at what felt like a comfortable race pace. I tried to find someone to "run with" but I would end up passing them and not want to slow down. I was so nervous about staying on pace and I am really bad at deciphering what pace I'm actually running.
Mile 7-14: This is where I saw Kate and the Stalcup-Burris clan..my cheering section! Mile 7 was a huge cheering/party zone and lead into my favorite part of the course. From mile 7 to 11 we ran along the James River but back in the country so we were surrounded by trees with amazing color and the river had big rocks and drops. It was beautiful. Even out there people were out cheering and playing music for the runners. We ended up winding back up through neighborhoods and making our way towards the city. At this point I was feeling good..and was on pace. (1:46:xx) In this section I was definitely beginning to feel the race but I was holding up well and still felt strong.
Mile 15-20: Well this was my least favorite part, mainly because it was the mile from hell. Mile 15 was a LONg bridge taking us back over the river. Pretty but windy, cold, and a false flat. This took mental strength to keep going and get to the other side..somewhere in the middle I heard "coke" so I knew I would get a treat once across :) After crossing and getting back where the wind was a little less damaging I picked my pace back up and moved forward. Around mile 18 I really started feeling the effects of the day. I started telling myself I went out too fast and I would let myself have the next 2 miles to "recover". I slowed to about a 9:00 min pace thinking I would get back down to an 8:xx at mile 20. Boy, was I wrong. At mile 19 I saw my cheering crew again. Kate ran with me at about mile 20 for a couple mintues. She had so much energy and I was totally out at that point. I wish I could have pulled in her energy. It was at this moment..or moments after she left me..I had a panic attack which triggered an asthma attack. Oh fun. I had to stop and take my inhaler. I gave myself a few seconds to regroup before I started running again. The damage was done. It was hard to keep my breathing under control. I would try to pick up my pace but I would have to slow because I couldn't get my breath.
Mile 21-26: This is where I could have used a friend/stranger/myself to convince me that I would be fine and to KEEP GOING. I stopped to walk at each mile until mile 24. I would only walk for about 30 seconds or so but this hurt me mentally more than anything else. At this moment I was mentally defeated. I brought a non race issue into the race and allowed it to beat me. For this I am dissapointed. Anyway, I get to mile 24 and decide this is it..I can run for 2 miles. So I did. I just kept telling myself with each step I get closer to the finish. I'm not one to walk in a race and I needed to finish without that crutch. Making the final turn on Cary St. was awesome and seeing the clock I knew I would still beat 3:50 and all I could be was happy.
What would you do differently?:

I will say my clothing choice was perfect. I was warm the entire race and had no issue with the cold due to my ninja like mask.
Leaving all worries/concerns/life except for the race..at the starting line. In all honesty though I would have never thought I would have a panic attack in the middle of a race due to a non race issue. That was a total coincidence that lead to something which I have little control. My asthma is stress induced: i.e exercise, anxiety, panic..ect. I feel pretty stupid for letting something like that creep in but life happens wether it's convenient or not.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked down to the gear truck to get warm clothes. Waited for Hannah banana to finish and then walked back to hotel. A lot of walking.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My mental game was not as good as it could have been..other than that nothing.

Event comments:

The course was great with lots of volunteers and stops. I would definitely do this race again.

Last updated: 2007-11-01 12:00 AM
Running
03:46:52 | 26.2 miles | 08m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 53/296
Overall: 953/3783
Performance: Good
Course: Rolling hills and gradual inclines with some good downhill portions. Definitely not flat but not Atl hilly..it really was just right in difficulty. Beautiful scenery in portions along the river and some not so pretty city sections.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-11-13 9:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: SunTrust Richmond Marathon

2007-11-13 9:48 AM
in reply to: #1050766

User image

New user

Subject: RE: SunTrust Richmond Marathon

You are AWESOME!  I'm so proud of you.  You did a great job.

2007-11-13 10:10 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga

Almost a 50 minute PR! You have had an amazing year and your progress is astounding. You are right, life happens, but you still got through it. Like pushing through a wall that someone built just for you. 3:46 is a great time, and I know, as well as you do, that greater things are ahead for you. Learning from our races is the most important thing we can do.

Let me say again. 3:46 is an EXCELLENT time, and one you should be very happy   about, and very proud of.

Great Job Aimster.

2007-11-13 12:33 PM

User image

Great race report....as for life events...we can discuss soon. They definitely have a way of getting in our heads at the worst times. All in all rock star race. I know i ran my whole darn chicago race and u still beat me with walking! U rule! Can't wait for the pics! Hurry hurry!
2007-11-13 12:45 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock
All that and you still had an AWESOME time! You will BQ before we know it. Way to stick it out and finish strong. Congrats!
2007-11-13 1:06 PM

User image

Great job, A.  Even with your blip at the end you still pulled off an awesome race and a great PR.  You're a really strong athlete and totally inspiring!

2007-11-13 7:24 PM

User image

Master
Awesome job.  Maybe one day I can be Aimster fast.  BQ is around the corner.
2007-11-14 6:28 AM

User image

Veteran
What a great day! I'm so impressed. Can I tell people that I run with you? You did a great job and also overcame a physical issue that morphed into a mental one. These can be race enders for any one of us and you accepted the challenge and beat it.

Enough of that, I am most interested in the pictures of you with 18 layers of clothing on.

Congrats.

H.
2007-11-15 8:17 AM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Wow - great race Aimster!! A 50 minute PR - WOW!! You are a fast chick, I'm very jealous and very excited for you. You've had a great season overall, I can't wait to see what you do next year!
2007-11-15 8:37 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Great race Amy!!!  congrats
2007-11-20 5:28 AM

User image

amy, i thought i already replied to this, but i guess not. great, excellent, amazing job on your race.   talk about improving!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » SunTrust Richmond Marathon Rss Feed