United States
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 7h 22m 41s
Overall Rank = 133/192
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 4/7
Pre-race routine:

Set up transition, walked around, mingled a little, made sure I hit the john to get rid of any excess "weight"! I really don't have a pre race routine. Eat a GU 45 minutes and 15 minutes before the start.
Event warmup:

Swim about 200 yards, stretch, loosen up the shoulders for the swim, try to relax. I don't like to do too much warming up.
Swim
  • 43m 3s
  • 2100 yards
  • 02m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was good for the first 500 yards except I got a little off line and kicked a couple times. Once by my friend Jeff. Bumped into Teemu a couple times too! THEN the waves hit. It startled me just a bit for a couple breaths until I realized what was happening. I first thought it was waves from another swimmer, but ended up being 12" to 18" waves from the winds. Switched to bilateral and left sided breathing to compensate. That slowed me down a little since my form is a little less "true" when I breath on the left.

After the first turn, I was timing the waves well enough to let them push me to the north and the second turn. That was the most enjoyable part of the swim.

The final turn and swim to the shore was pretty good. I sighted perfectly and was able to go back to right side breathing. I did notice I had to fight the current and keep pushing left to stay on line.

To steal the line from Chris McCormack - "I knew this course was hill, even the swim was hilly"
What would you do differently?:

Work on sighting and staying on course.
Transition 1
  • 02m 37s
Comments:

Loved the "wetsuit strippers" and sun screen applicators! My transition was typical length even though I felt less rushed. Even had time to kiss my girl!
Bike
  • 4h 06m 12s
  • 56 miles
  • 13.65 mile/hr
Comments:

OK, the bike. The plan to keep the HR in zone 2/3 went immediately out the window after leaving T1 and climbing that first half mile hill. What's up with that? I knew this was a hilly course. Rode it several times, so nothing was too unexpected for the first 30 miles or so. Loved the aid stations!

I was doing fine for most of the ride in the park until I threw my chain and it got WEDGED in between my spokes and big sprocket. I was lucky not to trash the wheel (no damage, actually) but it did take at least 5 minutes to get it yanked out and back on track.

The trip down Lake Mead was fine then it happened - I hit the bike trail and I knew the Three Sisters were just around the corner. So I was getting ready for them. I was a little sketchy of throwing the chain again, so I eased it into the big ring in the back and got ready. I wish a gathered a little more speed before hitting the first sister, but did all right. Then the second sister, then the third. I noticed that climbing the sisters seemed harder than before. I just attributed it to being tired. Then I looked down to switch gears and realized I NEVER GOT OUT OF THE BIG CHAINRING!!! SO stupid. It cost my legs and heart for at least 10 minutes after the climb. At lease I made it without stopping or falling (I did see another rider fall off the path on the climb)

Now that I dispatched of the sisters, smooth sailing, right? The path is supposed to be flat. Where did that headwind come from? I was thinking that with 16 miles left, I should be done in just over an hour, then looked down at my speed and I was doing 8 mph ON A FLAT TRAIL! The thought of being on my bike for two more hours almost broke my spirit.

Well, I just worked through it and was glad to finally get on the paved streets.

Overall, the bike went well. I went at too high of a HR but my legs seemed no worse for wear. Legs felt strong the entire ride. My back was a little sore, and I tried many times to stretch on the bike with little effect.

Nutrition was good. I wore my camelback with 2 liters of Accelerade and GU's every 45 minutes or so. Tried to eat some shot blocks, but my stomach didn't want anything to do with that. Also got some Enduralites in the system to hopefully avoid cramping.

Oh, BTW, my longest previous ride in the last 8 years was only 44 miles! I sure kicked that in the butt!

Transition 2
  • 02m 28s
Comments:

Boy was it good to get off the bike. I loved the bike wranglers and it was nice to leave the junk for someone else to pack up.

I took a short rest and took in some nutrition and was out.

Decent time in T2
Run
  • 2h 28m 23s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Once again, it seemed like they picked every hill they could to run. The problem with these hill, is they seemed to go FOREVER! I don't mind the rollers, but hills that go up for a couple straight miles!?!?!

My right quad and calf started to cramp a little so I tried to get in as many fluids and electrolytes I could. I picked up a banana, but no way I could eat. I would have blown chunks all over the course. I was able to work through it and ended up feeling pretty good.

The run was pretty much the run until the last couple miles. Mile 9 to 11 were the worst and my body wanted to stop. But after getting through that, the last two were great. I saw the light at the end of the tunnel and was able to really kick it for the finish. The was the most enjoyable run through the chute I have ever had.

BTW, my longest run in the last 8 years before this was 11 miles.

Post race
Warm down:

Put a space blanket on and drank a gatorade and water. Decided to eat a little later as my stomach was not ready for any food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Took a month off of training. If I had that month back, I could have done better.

My longes previous ride and run wer 44 and 11 miles respectivly. I surpased both back to back. I will admitt, I was not properly prepared, but I still enjoyed myself and was able to complete it without stopping.

Event comments:

Such a great race. It hurt like hell during the event, even to to point that I was telling myself that I was never going to to it again to do an IM. But two days later, and I'm just beaming about completing it. Telling a couple friends and they were in awe.

I'm ready for next year!!!!

Last updated: 2007-11-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:43:03 | 2100 yards | 02m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/7
Overall: 92/192
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Sleeve
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:37
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
04:06:12 | 56 miles | 13.65 mile/hr
Overall: 144/192
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:28
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:28:23 | 13.1 miles | 11m 20s  min/mile
Overall: 123/192
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-11-13 5:13 PM

User image

Sensei
Sin City
Subject: Silverman - Half Iron

2007-11-13 5:54 PM
in reply to: #1051694

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO
Subject: RE: Silverman - Half Iron
Well, even though you were a little undertrained, that was a great job in those conditions.  You should be very happy with your results.
2007-11-13 7:31 PM

User image

Great job Jim.

You really did an outstanding job!!!!!!!

2007-11-14 1:50 AM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
Nice job out there!
2007-11-14 1:54 PM

User image

Master
Colorado

Nice work!!  Considering your previous long run and bike were shorter than the course, I think that was an AMAZiNG run!!  Those sustained hills on the run killed me.  Nice work and hope to see you there next year!

2007-11-15 11:31 AM

User image

Master
Denver
Great job toughing it out!! You should be proud of finishing that course.

I am reading Silverman race reports with a little trepidation, as I am thinking about adding this race to next year's schedule.

2007-11-15 8:01 PM

User image

Mesa
Good work! You gritted it out and did great! You were able to improve on distances you hadn't gone before back to back and kept on going!

You are going to do even better next year!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Silverman - Half Iron Rss Feed