United States
77F / 25C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 54m 34s
Overall Rank = 26/175
Age Group = f30-34
Age Group Rank = 108/19
Pre-race routine:

Arrived on Friday afternoon. Checked in then went to eat. Saturday was mostly race prep- dropped off the bike at T-1 swam in the Lake. Drove the course then checked out T2. Knew the bike course was slightly gnarly, but it would be OK. Didn't sleep well. Got up early and tried to eat PBJ and some fruit. COFFEE then took the bus to the race start. Chatted with AJ, Court, Macca and then hopped in the water for warm up
Event warmup:

Swim only warm up. Didn't see the need to run or anything, which was fine, I think. Did a more than normal swim to WU. Water wasn't too cold- it felt good!
Swim
  • 34m 56s
  • 2100 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was 14th overall out of the water, but 3rd female. Just missed the darn swim prime which was $250!! Oh well. I got caught a little between a few guys at the start, but then used a few guys for a FREE ride out to the first bouy. I also had a gal on my shoulder, but I think I was getting the better draft. Then the WAVES hit. HOLY CRAP! This was wavier than Alcatraz! Good for me I guess since I can power through it. I was with another gal for a while, but then she followed another person a little off course, so I buried my head and swam straight for the bouys. Did OK, but somehow they got ahead of me even though they were off course? One good thing was my navigation was DEAD on even with the waves/ current pushing out. Maybe it was faster to let it push you and go with it, then swim back in closer to shore where it was more protected? Don't know, but whatever, I was 30" behind coming out of the water. Got both the lead gals between the swim exit and the time we got on to the main road on the bike.
What would you do differently?:

Draft on more guys for longer :) THANKS!!!
Transition 1
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

WOHOOOOO! I had THE FASTEST T-1 in the entire race (yes, even faster than Dave Scott! MAcca lost his chip, so I guess it's possible that his was faster, but I'm going to stick with mine was fastest :) )Anyway, came out of the water, pulled my suit down, let a gal pull it off my foot, grabbed my T-bag, dumped it in the change tent put on my glasses and helmet as I was running to the bike, hopped on the bike and pushed off. It was a narrow and uphill mount, so I didn't fly, but I did have my shoes clipped in. Considering the uphill, I think I did well getting into my shoes and passing the 2 leaders before we really got to the road.

NADA!
Bike
  • 3h 16m 7s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.13 mile/hr
Comments:

I was in the LEAD coming out of Transition (WOW what a cool feeling to realize you're in the lead!) then to get passed right at the turnaround at mile 23... So I was the 4th fastest bike split for women (35 of all including men). Anyway, my nutrition was dead on despite my gel flask exploding in y bento box... I got 2 shots and 2 sticky hands as well as a sticky Nuun container out of it, then just chucked it at the first aid station at mile 10. Grabbed a water bottle and tried to wash the gel off of everything, but Oh well. At the 2nd aid I grabbed 2 more gels and another 1 at aid 3. By that time I was just past the turn and had just gotten passed, so I went with what I had. All in all on the bike I had 4 gels, (maybe slightly more sice I probably got 1.5 shots out of the flask) 2 Nuun, 1 heed and about 1/2 of my 350 calorie Sustained energy... So about 700 calories- not bad. And my stomach felt a little hungry, but mostly GREAT overall.

Not much. I mean my legs were burned after this ride, but I have to say that I think it was worth it and I don't think I could have ridden the hills any softer. I did drop power from hour 1 to hour 3- hour 1 ag 217, hour 2 202 and hour 3 190, but considering the difference in terrain... Hard to tell. I was definitely fatigued and need more bike base for next year :)
Transition 2
  • 01m 32s
Comments:

T-2 came up too quick! I didn't have my 2nd foot out, so had to improvise at the dismount, so it took a second to get my bearings. Didn't have to rack the bike since a volunteer grabbed it for me. They grabbed my T2 bag and sent me into the tent telling me I was in 2nd place with about a 3 minute deficit to the leader. Put on the socks, shoes and race # felt like time warp slow, but I was trying to get my legs under me. Glad I put another gel in there, so I had that on the run - and it was PLAIN- my new FAVORITE flavor of Hammer Gel

Not much, I think the extra 10 seconds was OK and worth it to grab the water and get situated.
Run
  • 2h 00m 56s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

YEah, so 3rd woman on the swim, 4th on the bike- second place overall starting the run then BOOM! 13th run split and I got passed by 4 gals to finish 6th overall. I'm not complaining, but DAMN, I wanted to be top 5! Oh well. Here's my take on it. My legs were tired. They were sore. I was tired mentally from a long season and didn't ever get myself going. I NEVER hit LT (not even close) and I know I needed to push harder. I can't say I'm pleased, but after this season, I can't say I'm disappointed either. SO I will say that I need to build bike base to keep the legs fresher for the run. And build run speed on sustained hills. Nutrition was great and never had a cramp or even a slight twinge- maybe because I wasn't working hard enough? It felt good just to cover the distance, so I will say I'm happy with this as an accomplishment. This was a TOUGH course!

Run faster :)
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a bit and got a massage. 1 sandwich, 1 pizza, 2 cookies, 2 diet cokes, then a shower, then a great meal, a show on the strip and 4 beers and 4 hours later we won $1000 at the blackjack tables- Thank to the Wynn!!
At some point I should mention that I got to spend a lot of time with my coach AJ and his wife Courtney since the rode with us. THANKS AJ for an AWESOME season and great advice!! And also we caravanned with the McCormacks out to the race (Yes, meaning Chris aka Macca and his wife Emma and beautiful little girls) and got to hear lots of GREAT fun stories about Kona, races, other pros and drinking. He's a normal person, eats normal food and didn't train either day we spent with him. Yes, he's a GREAT guy and totally a normal person. Nicer than most I would say. COOL to meet someone so fast yet so normal!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Base training? This season was focused on OLY, so I didn't have time to build enough endurance base for this race, which was OK. Next season is about distance :)

Event comments:

I have to say that this was an INCREDIBLE race in terms of volunteers, swag, expo, aid stations. When they said aid stations every 10 on the bike and every mile on the run I figured every 10-15 on the bike, but it was more like every 5-10 and every mile on the run- was more like AT LEAST one aid station every mile. The volunteers were GREAT! The staff was great, everyone was friendly, helpful and glad to have us there! The swag bags were NICE backpacks (like REAL backpacks, not the little sling packs) and were LOADED with goodies including goggles, a sling bag, nalgene bottles, and more. BEST race organization that I've experienced!

Last updated: 2007-09-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:56 | 2100 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/19
Overall: 14/175
Performance: Good
Suit: QR Superfull
Course: Out 900, left 300 in 900. The one good thing was that the sun wasn't a factor with this layout.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:03
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:16:07 | 56 miles | 17.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/19
Overall: 35/175
Avg Power was 202, which was right where I was aiming. Didn't get an AHR for some reason on the bike...
Wind: Headwind
Course: Hard. I think that would sum it up, but let me embelish... Hilly, windy, sunny without much shade, hilly, and oh yeah, windy. Wait, did I mention the hills?? So the first 1/2 of the bike was in Lake Mead Rec area which was BEAUTIFUL. Hilly, but beautiful and rolling, and do-able. Then you head out of the park onto an ugly bike path. Sorry Nevada, but the scenery was a little waste-land ish. There were also the 3 sisters (aka the 3 nasties, 3 uglies, 3 b!tches) which were short but STEEP hills in succession for about a mile on the bike path. Then it kida flattens out to a falso flat uphill with the FREAKING wind RIGHT in your face. Since it's a point to point, you didn't get much tail wind benefit, and didn't get as much downhill to make up for the nasty climbs. Difficult, but GREAT course. relentless and tiring for sure.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:32
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:00:56 | 13.1 miles | 09m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/19
Overall: 43/175
Performance: Average
OUCH! My Avg HR was only 167 and MAXED at 181 which still isn't even LT...
Course: Let's see, hilly, and yeah, hilly, and oh yeah, windy :) I didn't mind the first hill since it was down, but then that came back to bite me. The middle part of this course was all about uphill and my legs were tired. There were a TON of aid stations- like 15 of them I think!! Which was great and encouraging, but I never got a rhythm
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-11-13 11:15 PM

User image

Master
Colorado
Subject: Silverman - Half Iron
I should mention that I DID make my goal of winning my age group!!!  and I'm PSYCHED about that!  I'll have to wait for next season for the overall podium in a tri :)  Happy off season :)

Edited by juliapurr 2007-11-13 11:17 PM

2007-11-13 11:45 PM
in reply to: #1052287

User image

Mesa
Subject: RE: Silverman - Half Iron
Great race! You smoked that swim... I was out there on the full slowly fighting those waves. I like how you said "Then the WAVES hit. HOLY CRAP! This was wavier than Alcatraz!" That makes me feel a little better.

Anyway you really did great. See you out there next year. You had a really good bike time and I'll look forward to seeing how you do after you feel you have a better base!
2007-11-14 8:21 AM

User image

Great race and very fun read on the RR.

Colorado had a real strong showing, hope you all are back next year.

2007-11-14 9:07 AM

User image

Master
Denver
wow.

Sounds like it was a tough race and you smoked it! Congrats on the podium!

Pretty soon Macca is going to be coming to you for stories.
2007-11-14 10:06 AM

User image

Expert
Highlands Ranch, CO

Great job on the race and at the Wynn.  I had a great time hanging out with you guys.  I say we use our tickets to go someplace fun, say Fargo or McAllen Texas.  I had such a good time at this race, I may do it again next year to defend my title.  Have fun on the islands.

2007-11-14 11:06 AM

User image

Expert
Denver
First, obviously a great race when you've been focusing on olys this year, and then only doing a lot of base type efforts leading up to this. But is there a possibility you didn't have legs on the run because you blew them out on the bike? Seems like your watt #s would agree with that. Anyway, just a thought and it doesn't detract from the overall performance at the race and at the tables. Great job!

2007-11-14 11:12 AM
in reply to: #1052762

User image

Master
Colorado
WOW!  Great job!  Sounds like you had a really great time and you had fantastic results!  What a way to end a season.  I'm so happy for you!
2007-11-14 11:54 AM

User image

Regular
Madison, CT
Fantastic race!  You had such an awesome season and this was a great finish.  Maybe I'll have to go out there next year with you guys.
2007-11-14 2:05 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
"Great report"  I felt like I was there!  Cool to have met Macca and family.  Super race, don't knock it, you will only get faster!
2007-11-14 2:45 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
Amazing performance!! You are super fast and if you didn't even really 'train' for HIMs, I can't imagine how fast you'll be when you do HIM-specific training! Go enjoy the off-season and I can't wait to see your results next year!!
2007-11-14 5:39 PM

User image

Highlands Ranch, Colorado
You are soooo completely my Tri Goddess....what am amazing performance and season!

2007-11-14 5:41 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Congrats!

You did amazingly well at all three aspects plus kicked butt on transitions.

Tough course but you did great...sounds like super challenging. 

I see you are doing IMLP next summer..see ya there...but you'll be so far ahead of me maybe I'll see you on one of the out and backs on the run.

Enjoy some downtime and off season! 

2007-11-14 5:42 PM

Expert
Las Vegas

AWESOME RACE!

Great job, it looks like you had a great race.  If you did that well, without putting in full effort, I hate to see how fast you are when you are trying.

Thanks for the great report!  See you out there next year. 

2007-11-14 5:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Toronto
Wow....what a great race! You kicked butt! I think we spoke a little before the swim start about the swifty people coming out of the water for the full. Congrats on winning your age group.
2007-11-14 6:23 PM

User image

Master
West Bend, WI
Ahhh!! thats Awesome!!  Way to go girl
2007-11-14 6:35 PM

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin
Holy crap you can swim..nice performance!!

2007-11-14 6:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pennsylvania
You kicked this race's butt. Great bike split!
2007-11-15 11:57 AM
in reply to: #1054007

User image

Master
Denver
Way to represent Colorado!! I bet you can "smell" the podium now, after being right in the mix through this race. Congrats!
2007-11-15 12:45 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Heh...what can I say that we didn't already talk about?  Congrats and I'm glad you had fun.

When is the next girls weekend in Vegas?

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Silverman - Half Iron Rss Feed