2008-06-26 2:45 PM
in reply to: #1492413

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
Subject: RE: IM Kansas 70.3
VeganMan - 2008-06-26 1:37 PM

What do you mean by "What your response should be?"

I still don't understand what all the commotion is about the race being cancelled because of events outside the control of the race director.  Was it handled the best way, probably not from what I've read.   And perhaps my opinion would be different if I actually completed my bike leg and was half way thru the run course.  However, as I drove in the morning of the race and saw lightening on the horizon, I was already preparing myself for the heartbreak of driving home DNS - because I know events can be cancelled because of inclimate weather.

I'm stilll not sold on the fact that the cancellation was justified, therefore am wondering if there should be some sort of declaration made or briefing stating how the decision was made, what information was available, what resources were utilized, etc. Poking around on the IMKS website I don't see any information about the cancellation at all. For all I know, there could be some women in the 25-29 AG who set world records for the half marathon at the 2008 event. Here's the only thing I can find regarding the cancellation from any "official" tied to the race:

“Everybody loved the course,” Robinson said. “Everybody loved Kansas. It’s pretty neat when people from all over the world say great things about your home. It makes you feel pretty special.”

Wait- sorry, that's not it. Hold on, let me look some more, maybe I can find that needle I was looking for while I'm at it...................................

2008-06-26 3:48 PM
in reply to: #1492556

Hopefully, this will help with some of the speculation.

1.) Cancellation of the race: It was the Park Manager's call. I concurred once he showed me the lightning meter. That is an easy call. I know it was hard for people to undestand...especially when the sun came out later...but in situations such as this one can't wait until things have already happened to make the call. Athletes have to remember that not only is their safety on the line...but also the volunteers as well. I had my three children and four nieces out there handing out water. I know if it were up to just the athletes they would continue through a tornado.

2.) Not removing everyone immediately from the course:
The best course of action when trying to move masses of people is not to make urgent announcements "to take cover!" At least not in these circumstances. We had people watching the storm brewing all morning. We would have been fine if the lightening hadn't gotten so close. Exit traffic was bad enough without stirring people into a frenzy. As far as safety goes...the exit from situations is often just as dangerous as the actual sitiuation.

3.) Shuttles:
This also goes for the shuttles that were cancelled. I personally had to go and tell the people waiting for the shuttles that we had discontinued them. We discontinued them because the helicopter had landed on the transport route and the medics had requested no more people out to the cross. I did not announce this to the spectators for I did not want people to worry.

4.)Results:
The results have been combed through. We have researched and figured out awards and Clearwater spots. We have left the others alone for we do not want to risk removing someone that may have actually completed the run course. It also gets tricky when you start removing some and not all. Ultimately, the athletes know what they did on race day.

Most individuals in the know have been very complimentary of how things were handled in trying times. Coming from a background of a HS and College Quarterback I fully understand that if you are going to take the hero role you also have to take the scapegoat role. Neither role are ever fully deserved.

Are there things that we could have done different? Sure...there always is.

Did we make the best decisions with the information we had at the time? Absolutely.

We are looking forward to next year and are hoping for better weather

I have had quite a few emails about us changind the run course...for everyone's info...the old run course was flooded and the crew worked for 36 hours straight getting a new course.

Either way we are excited about the event. The foundation for a great race is there...we just have to sharpen up a few things.

Weather issues always leave a bad taste in people's mouth.

There is always room for improvement. However, we feel good about the race...for the people that were able to complete the course before being called off have been glowing about the race...for what it's worth.

Thanks!

Edited by rrobinson 2008-06-26 4:12 PM
2008-06-26 5:02 PM
in reply to: #1492902

User image

Extreme Veteran
Omaha, USA

rrobinson - 2008-06-26 3:48 PM Hopefully, this will help with some of the speculation...

See, this is why I voted (before the race and now after) Ryan as RD of the year!

I will tell you first hand the guy is a class act!

Edited by VeganMan 2008-06-26 5:02 PM
2008-06-26 5:15 PM
in reply to: #1492902

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
rrobinson - 2008-06-26 3:48 PM

Hopefully, this will help with some of the speculation.

Ryan: Thank you, thank you, thank you. Thank you. Awesome. That was what I was searching for and couldn't find. Glad to hear it straight from you.

Now would the rest of you just quit complaining about the race being called!
2008-06-27 9:22 AM
in reply to: #1493109

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
VeganMan - 2008-06-26 5:02 PM

rrobinson - 2008-06-26 3:48 PM Hopefully, this will help with some of the speculation...

See, this is why I voted (before the race and now after) Ryan as RD of the year!

I will tell you first hand the guy is a class act!

X2 - Ryan you are such a great asset to the race organization. Do you get a bonus or something if we all write a nice letter to Zeibart? (sp)

Really, it's great to get the information in such a positive way. I know we are a bunch of whiners sometimes and you probably roll your eyes when you read our posts, but I guess that's what you get at beginnertriathlete.com.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Kansas 70.3 Rss Feed  

of 21