General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What I learned from my Ironman Experience Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-11-15 7:59 AM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Subject: What I learned from my Ironman Experience

I thought I would attempt to stir up some off-season discussion.....

It seems that we have a number of athletes who are eyeing an Ironman (or 140.6 race) in their near future.  We also have a number of athletes who this year (and in the past) completed various IM races.  Additionally, we have some that didn't finish and a few who put in all the training but fell prone to the injury bug.  

Georgia has one of the most active state forums on BT both in terms of threads and number of members.  I was thinking we could generate some discussion for everyone on the lessons learned, mistakes made and even field questions from those who don't play in the bigger forums or want specific advice.    

For those who have gone the distance--what did you learn about training?  what were your limitations?  If you raced again, what would you do differently?  What did you learn about yourself?  What advice do you have for others?

For those curious about the distance--what do you want to know about the races?  training?  nutrition?  discipline?  courses? 

2007-11-15 8:42 AM
in reply to: #1054695

User image

Master
Subject: RE: What I learned from my Ironman Experience

Well, you've done an IM stud. What are your answers? 

I actually do want to know the answers as IMFL is on my list for next year. 

2007-11-15 1:06 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga

For those who have gone the distance--what did you learn about training?

I learned that the training, although still difficult ( I want to make that clear), is exponentially easier, if you have a high base to start with. I learned that a training schedule is a living breathing dynamic entity that really should be managed almost daily. If you are sticking to a set schedule, good luck to you. It can be done, but life is much easier when you let the schedule act as your guide. Do the work, but move and change things as needed. For some, that will require a dynamic real time coach, such as myself.

what were your limitations? 

Plenty, but I knew what they were and recognized them. Obviously, time is number 1. Then recovery, then the intense heat of this past summer.

If you raced again, what would you do differently?

Nothing.. but because it would not be my first, I would train harder and try to get a better time. I feel that my first go round was a major success. In fact, so much so that I feel my second attempt could end up going bust if I overthink things and try to change to much from my first.

What did you learn about yourself?

I can't even begin to scratch the surface on this issue. Let's just say that I am forever changed, in a positive way. Mostly revolving around sense of self. Not arrogance, we all know I am a little cocky (you have to be in this sport), but around who I am internally. Who I am to 'myself'.  

What advice do you have for others?

4 words: Do not be afraid. Followed by one word: Believe.

I would conclude this by saying that nutrition plans are guidelines as well. One of the most important things you can do is figure out what works for YOU. Don't drink Carb Pro just because someone else does. Sure, practice with advice given, but find YOUR way, and stick to it. I made a last minute decision (within one week of IM Moo) based on instinct and some knowledge of food to energy conversion to change all my foods to one souce: Uncrustables. That decision worked out great for me. My fluids I was a little more conservative about and came to a decision of what I was going to use about 6 weeks prior.

Regardless.. If you are thinking about it, probably, and eventually, you will attempt it.  We are Triathletes because of who we are. There is no stopping until we get to the summit of our sport.  Do not fear it, cause I can assure you that IM welcomes you in. Do the work, and you too shall be... (Sorry.. you have to wait for Mike Riley to say it)

2007-11-15 1:45 PM

User image

Master
Ron, that is one of the best posts on BT, ever. 
2007-11-16 7:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Good idea for a thread, here are my thoughts. IMFL 07 was my first 140.6 race. I finished in 12:50:16, an hour ahead of my projection. My race report noting my first-timer errors is available here:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

what did you learn about training?
Research, research, research! As many will recognize, you can fake and muscle yourself through a sprint, Olympic, and even a 70.3, but you cannot do this with 140.6. BT, the race reports, threads like this, the numerous books on IMs and training, all were incredibly useful and enabled me to structure a doable training schedule, execute the training schedule without burnout or injury, develop and execute a nutrition plan through trial and error in training for race use, develop and execute a race plan with movement for contingencies, and to get to the finish line. Also, the IM distance is run through your training, especially in the long bikes and runs required in the peak phase. By the time you get to the start, you will have covered many, many miles in the course of your training – the 140.6 left is just the final few miles of a long journey.

what were your limitations?

Time, ego, negativity. Going into the training schedule with a good base is important, but getting and maintaining a good base for most of the year demands time. My ego was also a limitation that had to be overcome, especially when training and racing within HR zones and limits. Likewise, I found listening to my body and knowing when to take a break difficult. Also, negative thoughts and feelings are inherent in IM training (too long, too hard, too much) and I found them creeping in, especially late in the training when the demands really increase. I found a quote from Lance Armstrong to be helpful – “Quit b*tching”.

If you raced again, what would you do differently?

Nothing for this race. My goal was to get across the line while being able to stand and kiss my wife, which I achieved. Time was less important. Now that I have one under my belt, I am working on getting faster in all three disciplines to be even better prepared for the IMLoo 08.

what did you learn about yourself?

The importance of discipline and patience, the real impact of turning negative thoughts re: long training sessions (too long, beyond my limits) or training weeks into positive ones (become an Ironman today/this week).

what advice do you have for others?

If you want to be an IM, make it happen. Research, plan, prepare, expect the unexpected, and execute. The training is the IM.

2007-11-21 4:49 PM

I did IMLou this year as a first timer.

Training:
Came from a strong MTB background, so I did not learn anything about training...till this fall when I tried to go fast in cyclocross. I realized that lots of training to go slow-medium, leaves you bereft of speed and, in more alarmingly, real power on the bike.

Limitations:
Most are self imposed, but sometimes life intervenes, as it did for me losing six weeks of any long workouts, so I just did what there was time for.

Race Again:
hmmmm, I've done the distance, had no real problems, so if I was to race again I would want to do a real training plan with expectations to push harder through all three events.

Advice:
If it's attractive, do it. I trained alone mostly, but finding a group to train with will make the whole event easier and more enjoyable.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What I learned from my Ironman Experience Rss Feed