MultiRace
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 04m 30s
Overall Rank = 56/689
Age Group = Male 35-39
Age Group Rank = 12/89
Pre-race routine:

Got to the venue at 5:00 AM and got a good parking spot in front of the swim start. I grabbed all my gear and headed into transition to set up. Got body marked and checked out the bike & run exits in transition. On my way back to the car, I hooked up with Ramiro. We then ran into Linda and Patches. Patches was coming off an awesome performance at the IM 70.3 World Championships the day before. I was pleasantly surprised to see him there that early. We all headed back to my truck to chill before having to get to the beach.
Event warmup:

None. The weather was a bit chilly and I did not want to get wet and have to stand outside before my wave start.
Swim
  • 36m 31s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

I got the beach with about 1 minute to spare before the start. It was great to just get there and go. No sitting around waiting and watching. Just go!
I started off easy and worked my way through the crowd. It took about 3/4 of the first loop to get some clean water. I got out after the first loop, rounded the timing mats and got back in the water for the second loop.
This time there were more people up ahead from the following waves. I navigated around and occasionally found some feet to draft off of.
The course felt a little longer than previous years. I have done this same swim course in 31 and 33 minutes. However, like Patches put it, I haven't been swimming as much this training cycle. Oh well!
What would you do differently?:

I guess swim more.
Transition 1
  • 03m 12s
Comments:

Got out of the water and started the longish run to transition and through transition to my bike. I got all my gear on and grabbed my bike. I was racked directly in front of the bike exit. So, it was a short run with the bike and onto the bike course.

Nada.
Bike
  • 2h 33m 5s
  • 54 miles
  • 21.16 mile/hr
Comments:

Since it was cool outside, I decided to stay in the small chainring for the first 4 miles. I wanted to make sure to warmup before putting in a good hard effort. Coach D advised me to race at a HR of 154-156 and up to 161 into a headwind. I spent the whole ride working the gears, cadence and effort. I wanted to make sure to had something left off the bike so as not to have to walk the run course.
I felt great the entire time. I was excited about my time splits while I was on the course. Since, we trained so much on the course, I knew when and how long I would have a tailwind, headwind, etc. I could gauge my efforts accordingly. There is something relaxing and stress-free about knowing the entire course.
In the last 2 miles I sat up and took in some calories, salt tablets and stretched in preparation for a good run. Before I knew it, I was back in the park and heading toward the dismount line. A course PR by 15 minutes.

I'm not really sure right now, but there must be something I could have done.
Transition 2
  • 03m 37s
Comments:

I actually decided to sit down and take a little more time than usual to get ready. I wanted to simulate my training transitions, get focused and remember the running plan before hitting the course.

Probably take in 4, instead of 2 salt tablets.
Run
  • 1h 48m 5s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

I headed out on the run course with a plan to keep an 8min/mile pace & HR less than 174 for the first loop. I immediately saw my wife and kids as I headed out and that was a great pick me up. I spent the entire first loop monitoring my HR and pace hoping to not cramp up like I usually do since I rode faster than previous years. I got to the 5 mile mark and felt great. The 5 mile point is the farthest I had ever run before having to walk/run due to cramps in my 5 previous attempts. I passed that point and knew it was going to be a much better day. However, I still kept in mind that the wheels could come off at any point. So, I stayed focused and made sure to keep my pace and HR.
I finished the first loop and was still comfortable and just under pace. I saw my family and friends again before beginning the second loop. As I started the second loop the weather was getting a little warmer so I made sure to take in more salt and continue to monitor the cramp situation. It was a tougher & slower second loop. My legs felt like they would cramp at any moment. I had to slowdown occasionally in order not to cramp up. I made sure to change my stride length and turnover often to manage the legs. At the 12 mile sign, during and off road section, my right hamstring cramped. Wow! I couldn't even take a step. So I just stood there, massaged it out and a minute later I was back on track running to the finish.
As I crossed the finish line, I knew I had finally put together a good half IM. What a relief!

Take in a few more salt tablets during the first loop.
Post race
Warm down:

It was absolutely amazing to have my family and fantastic friends at the finish line. I just recovered and soaked it all in with everyone around me. I felt a little out of sorts after a good hard effort. However, slowly but surely the enormity of the accomplishment started to sink in. After 6 half iron distance races, I finally put a good one together. There are still things I will work on, but the doubt that I can actually race and be competitive, not just do, this distance has been solidified in my mind.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My fear of cramping in the last 4 miles of the run.

Event comments:

The race keeps getting better year after year. It is an awesome event at the right time of year for South Florida. Great job by the race director and sponsors.

Last updated: 2006-12-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:31 | 2112 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/89
Overall: 75/689
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 2 loop rectangle course.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:12
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:33:05 | 54 miles | 21.16 mile/hr
Age Group: 22/89
Overall: 107/689
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: An out and back course with 2 loops in the middle.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:48:05 | 13.1 miles | 08m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/89
Overall: 74/689
Course: 2 loops into and around the Miami Metro Zoo.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %4
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-11-15 8:40 AM

User image

New user

Miami, Florida
Subject: Miami Man 1/2 Iron Triathlon

2007-11-15 8:58 AM
in reply to: #1054760

User image

Master
South Florida
Subject: RE: Miami Man 1/2 Iron Triathlon
Awesome !!! You really focused on following your plan, and it paid off.  So glad you had a great race.  You're so fast and consistent in training it's good to see you reap the rewards!!! 
2007-11-15 10:51 AM

User image

Master
Red Sox Nation

YEA, FRANK!!!! 

NICE RACE!  After having watched you struggle on the run in previous years, I'm so happy you nailed this one!  Congrats on the bike PR, and I'm sorry I missed seeing you and the fam!

Great job!

2007-11-16 10:00 PM

User image

Regular
Pinecrest
YOU SUCK MAN!!!!!!!
2007-11-20 7:34 AM

User image

Veteran