United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 10h 30m
Overall Rank = 677/1202
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

My leg of the race started at 1030. This was nice as for once I did not have to get up before the sun. I had some coffee (thanks Tanya), oatmeal and a banana.

I took a shower and got my stuff together for the race. Applied sunscreen.
Event warmup:

I did not do much to warmup except for some light stretching. I left the house about 45 minutes prior to the start. I started to get a little worried as I got caught up in traffic at Kolb and Valencia. I was able to get in line with about 10 minutes to spare before the start.
Bike
  • 5h 02m 57s
  • 66 miles
  • 13.07 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt good on the ride. I was not too sure what to expect as my previous long was 30 miles. I passed many more people than those that passed me. This is always nice. I stopped three times at aid stations for approx 10 mins each. I also stopped very briefly to get some air in my tires. I always have an appreciation for the volunteers. They earned their t-shirts at the race spending the day cutting fruit and ensuring the comfort of the riders. I was pleased that I did not have any mechanical issues with the bike and was not involved in a crash. I saw several of each including two ambulances on the course.
What would you do differently?:

I would have liked to ride the 109 with the rest of the ESCKTC peeps but simply was not ready for that distance in a competitive setting. Although, I felt good, I am sure that I did not drink enough on the course. Certainly, some more training would help.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a little bit and obtained my medal. I then stood in line for a beer. I looked for my friends to no avail. I took my bike to the bike check area after asking for directions and caught the shuttle to retrieve my vehicle. I wnet to the restroom to wipe off all of the sweat and change clothes. After picking up the bike, I headed back to Phoenix stopping to eat dinner on the way.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

You know, I thought that I changed gears really well considering all of the elevation changes and the volume of people. I also took every opportunity to draft. I jumped in line whenver I saw one go by.
I will improve as I get more training under my belt.

Event comments:

This is the 25th year of the race, so it is run very well without many glitches. I would have liked to see some snacks at the finish area. I only saw water and food for purchase. I would do this race again.

Last updated: 2007-11-14 12:00 AM
Biking
05:02:57 | 66 miles | 13.07 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/1202
Performance: Average
AVG HR 154 Max 184 Time reflects total time not bike time
Wind: Some
Course: Course was a perimeter ride around Tucson. Some roads were smooth and some were very bumpy. There was one dry river crossing that required you to carry your bike across. This turned out to be quite a trek across due to the number of people crossing and some very soft sand. The were several hills on the course. I am not sure what was worse. The constant rattle of the bike around miles 85-90 or the thump thump thump of riding over the chip seals on the road on Silverbell.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-11-18 12:50 PM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Subject: El Tour de Tucson XXV

2007-11-19 4:58 PM
in reply to: #1059127

User image

Expert
Wandering through AZ
Subject: RE: El Tour de Tucson XXV

Good job out there. You'll defnitely be ready for the 109 in no time.

Sorry we all missed you at the finish. I was watching the clock, and we passed by the 66miler start about 30min before you guys started. You finished just a little while after Cora, we must have just missed paths at the finish. That crowd was crazy.

2007-11-20 10:04 AM

Pro
AZ
You did aweseome Rick!!! Nice job getting it done and enjoying the experience!
2007-11-20 12:51 PM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Great job, Rick - 30 miles to 66 is quite a jump.  You'll be able to do the 109 before you know it!!
2007-11-20 3:54 PM

User image

Master
Peoria, AZ (Near Lake Pleasant)
Next year we need to buddy up on the 109!  Boise will be our training ride!
2007-11-21 3:30 PM

User image

Master
Way to go Rick! You did awesome!  Would have been neat to see you on the course, but I think they started you all too late.  See you out there next year!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » El Tour de Tucson XXV Rss Feed