Fitness Sports
coolF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 11m 42s
Overall Rank = half/whole
Age Group = M 25-30
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

i was pretty excited about this one. a race where i'm not the only one in costume! my friend booked us up in ames. we met in the lobby and took the drive to des moines. we stopped at target for some zinc oxide, but they didn't open until 8am. got our packet which consisted of our number and a t-shirt. went and sat in the car for a while to keep warm until it was closer to race time.
Event warmup:

my friend and i took a couple short laps around the last of the course which really helped to keep us warm. we didn't anticipate hammering this out like rockstars, so we weren't too worried about it.
we got some compliments on our hawaiian attire, even got a few picture requests. aloha and mahalo friends.
about 30-40% of racers are wearing something. lots of superheroes, so that was done to death. devils and angels, military, and prom dresses. the original groups i saw, a bag of skittles followed by ten skittles. and there was a set of disney princesses, snow white, jasmine, cinderlla. fun! what i didn't see, were any running elvis. next year, hmmmm.
Run
  • 1h 11m 42s
  • 7 miles
  • 10m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

oh baby, super excited. i was looking for friends of mine (including oipolloi) at the start, but with 6,800 racers, it's hard to find anyone. we were about half way from the start, so my friend (john) we feeling comfortable.
the race began and everyone did the starting line squeeze. then we got walking. and kept walking. then we stopped, then we walked, then stopped, and kept this up for about half a mile.
NOTE TO SERIOUS RUNNERS - on this race, if you want a decent pace, start within 20 yards of the start line. otherwise, you will be at the mercy of those around you. there is no where to go.
for three miles john and i were ducking in and out of people, running along. john had a mp3 speaker playing, so it was easy to find him if he got swallowed up by a group of people. just running through the fields, checking out other costumes until we hit the forest.
the path narrows and as you head through the path you hear screams and shouts up ahead. fun to come.
the first creek, time for a swim! since we were in the mass of humanity, jumping in does not exsist. too many people, if you wait, you're getting shoved in. a nice hop into the water coming up to mid-shin. cold, very cold. you climb out the muddy side that has been slicked down by countless others climbing up. you start running and you get the feeling back in your legs after a while.
and that's how the race goes. forest paths, open fields, muddy hills and stream crossings.
we got to the crossroads having to choose between "longer easier" and "shorter harder" and of course, we went with harder. i asked, shouldn't it be harder longer?
at one point, you cross a stream to the other side, climb up and run about 50 yards to cross it again. john decided to run through the stream, i followed. a group of spectators sayed "look at these crazy nuts" mahalo.
the last mile or so is a couple of iowa's finest rolling hills through the fields and finish up on main street in lhf.
at the finish i saw a girl from high school, a guy from the uni swim team and met oipolloi and his wife! good time was had by all, muddy muddy fun.
What would you do differently?:

start more towards the front so i could run a little faster.
instead of running through the creek, dive in and swim.
Post race
Warm down:

john was hurting, so he stuck with the water table and i ran up to the food tent to try and grab one of everything.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

people, tons and tons of people everywhere.

Event comments:

this race is a ton of fun! running across fields, jumping into creeks, and having a good time with 6500 other people. grab an old halloween costume and an old pair of shoes and get ready to get wet!

Last updated: 2007-10-31 12:00 AM
Running
01:11:42 | 07 miles | 10m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/whole
Performance: Good
nope, none.
Course: a 6.8 mile run through the living history farms property. the first three miles consisting of gravel/dirt roads and open field running. after three miles, you start running through the wooded areas which includes creek crossings. you will get wet, very wet. these also include climbs up steep hills and embankments. there are about seven creek crossings, three steep "rope" hill climbs and about four miles of open field running. the forest pathways are narrow and only about three people across. lines form at creek crossings and hills. no aid support is offered on the course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-11-18 2:36 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
Subject: Living History Farms XC Race

2007-11-18 2:49 PM
in reply to: #1059191

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Subject: RE: Living History Farms XC Race
That sounds like an absolute blast!!!!  Glad the costumes were a hit... of course I have a few costume ideas, too.  Great job out there.
2007-11-18 9:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Jacksonville
Great race report, I could have been there. How about posting some pictures, I know you must have some.
2007-11-19 7:16 AM

User image

Elite

Ha!  That WAS indeed a great race!

I had a good laugh when everyone started running, only to stop 15 feet later as the pack rubberband'ed.  Then repeat three more times.  Then the pinch at the tunnel.  I didn't think I'd get to run at all.

I opted for the "Longer, Easy" route at the fork, which had us cross only one creek and added maybe 100 yards. 

I agree.  Even if I don't plan on setting any land-speed records, I'm going to get as close to the start line as possible next year. 

Great race!  Way to hammer!

2007-11-19 7:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa
totally forgot my camera on this one, but oipolloi got some great shots and put them in his album here and there are pictures from the local paper here
2007-11-19 8:28 AM

User image

Veteran
Lugoff, SC
Sounds like y'all had fun.  Those kind of events are great!

2007-11-19 1:47 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Holy cow!  I didn't get the impression of so many people from the video.  Sounds like it didn't impact the fun-factor too much though. 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Living History Farms XC Race Rss Feed