General Discussion Race Reports! » Rothman Institute 8K at the Philadelphia Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rothman Institute 8K at the Philadelphia Marathon - Run8k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
United States
45F / 7C
Precipitation
Total Time = 33m 13s
Overall Rank = 116/1270
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 21/69
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 440am to eat a bowl of pasta and watch a repeat of the WVU game that was on and Animal House... nice and relaxing.
Event warmup:

I stripped down at 7:13 thinking I'd have to hussle to my start but turns out that's when they started the marathon... it was supposed to start at 7am. So I got some time to do a few stride outs and stretch out. Next thing I know the announcer goes "1min till the start of the 8K" WHAT??? I was 1/4 a mile away and was holding out to pee!! So I pee and hear the gun go off.
Run
  • 33m 13s
  • 4.97 miles
  • 06m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

So I get to the race site around 6:30am which gives me time to wonder about and use the bathroom. The marathon started about 15mins late so we got going even later. I was actually near the finish, 1/4 a mile from the start, doing some strides to see how my knee was feeling and to warm up. I was holding out to pee thinking I'd get the 5min warming. But nooooo. "1 minute to the start of the 8K." Well shit. So I go to pee and jog to the line, which has totally cleared out. Lucky for me its chip timing.

So I hit the line in stride, which is probably better, and start catching the pack. I actually had to run a lot on the wrong side of the road and on sidewalks until I passed a good majority of the fun runners. I'm feeling good though, no knee pain and I'm at a comfortable pace with a 170-ish HR.

There was water around 2.5 miles and 3.5 miles, it was an out and back. So that was nice to get some fluids even though the exchanges were bad. Must learn to squeeze the shit out of the cup and snatch it from the water station people.

OH FUCK THAT!!! I just looked at the results and it has my chip time starting with the gun!! So my time is 2mins slower than what I actually ran. So I'll be going off the time I got from my watch.

So I'm chugging along and with about 1/2 mile left I really start to hurt. The legs get really heavy and we're running uphill, which isn't helping. But I know I'm almost done so I just push through!! It was pretty F-ing painful but I'm glad I pushed myself and got the time I was looking for!

Oh snap I just checked out the overall results, damn I did pretty freaking well!!
What would you do differently?:

Get to the start line on time. However running from the back up might have helped me because it gave me motivation when I passed people, but if I started where I should have I might have been devistated when people pass me or I could have pushed harder and ran a better time...oh well
Post race
Warm down:

I sat down on the bottled water cases for a few minutes to catch my breath. Then I went into the food tent looking for beer. What the fuck?!?! There's no beer!!! I don't care if it is 8am on a Sunday I ran hard and I want a beer.

So I just grabbed a pretzel and sat around watching half marathoners.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not getting to the line on time?

Event comments:

I hated this race. The t-shirt I got is the gayest fucking shirt ever, there was no beer, the events started late, they played the Rocky Theme way too much, and the YO! Logo was horrible. I'll most likely not do this race again... actually I'm lying. I'll do it to compair progress but I'll BYOB next time. Overall I don't think it was worth my $40

Last updated: 2007-11-07 12:00 AM
Running
00:33:13 | 04.97 miles | 06m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/69
Overall: 0/1270
Performance: Good
Mile 1: 6:42 Mile 2: 6:39 Mile 3: 6:53 Mile 4: 6:28 Mile 5: 6:29 Avg HR: 173 Max HR: 183
Course: Pretty much an out and back. No real hills but some upgrades here and there. The last 1/2 mile was upgrade and it sucked because my legs were already giving out
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2007-11-18 7:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta
Subject: Rothman Institute 8K at the Philadelphia Marathon

2007-11-21 7:27 AM
in reply to: #1059514

User image

Planet earth
Subject: RE: Rothman Institute 8K at the Philadelphia Marathon
no beer and a crappy tee shirt?! you got screwed!  Have a great turkey day
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rothman Institute 8K at the Philadelphia Marathon Rss Feed