General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Off season goals -- Personal Trainer, Strength Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-11-19 1:11 PM

User image

Chicago
Subject: Off season goals -- Personal Trainer, Strength
All right. I've been doing tris for about 6 years, endurance sports almost 8. The time has come, though..to join a gym. I have done fine without one before, doing all my tri training outdoors and weight training at home with dumbbells. However, I think I might join a gym for two reasons:

1. Access to more strength eqipment, and classes.
2. Access to a personal trainer (I am asking specifically for one that does work with triathletes).

However, I need encouragement taking the plunge! I prided myself for years on not having a gym membership, but I feel like the training I will get from a trainer, plus access to more equipment, is what I need to challenge my body more (and build functional strength for next season).

Can anyone chime in and share his/her thoughts?

I am looking to join Crunch, btw.

2007-11-19 1:27 PM
in reply to: #1060684

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Off season goals -- Personal Trainer, Strength

Why hire a personal trainer? For less money you could hire a tri coach and I suspect you'd improve your tri times more than working with a personal trainer. I guess it depends on your goals.

Big difference in viewpoints here on BT if strength training is helpful or not.

I'm a women over 45 and think for me it is good. I was in a bike crash and seperated my shoulder. My PT commented to me that I recovered probably more than twice as fast as I was strong at the time of my crash so I was able to build more strength quickly and recover.

I have a tri coach and he has me do all sorts of different strength training and probably 85% of the stuff I could do at home with weights, bands and the like. I don't use machines as they work one muscle group not helping me move better and coordinate the movement. 

In being a member of my Y for 5 years and seeing the personal trainers and talking to the head of the fitness department who is a personal trainer, honestly I don't think many know much about tris and I wouldn't trust them at all. Ask about their credentials often they don't have any. What experience do they have with triathletes? 

Just a couple of my thoughts... 

2007-11-19 1:28 PM

User image

Champion
Taser-World
chicago-tri-bird - 2007-11-19 2:11 PM

However, I need encouragement taking the plunge!

• ... I feel like the training I will get from a trainer, plus access to more equipment, is what I need to challenge my body more (and build functional strength for next season).

• Encouragement? OK then. Read the above. Isn't that reason enough?

Best case - you meet your goals stated above.
    Worst case - you decide you're getting nothing out of it, and cancel your membership.

So, aside from some cash, what have you got to lose?

2007-11-19 1:30 PM

User image

Chicago
    I have been giving some thought to getting a tri coach instead of a personal trainer. I was concerned that a tri coach would be super expensive. How much do they average?
    2007-11-19 2:14 PM

User image

Coach
    Boston, MA

your goal for the off season should be only two... Rest and Recover!

however IF you are talking about the base phase AND one of your goals is to do strenght training because you enjoy it, then yes you could join a gym for sure for the reasons you mentioned. If you are looking to improve your tri perfomrance next year you could focus on other stuff such as working on your limiter(s), improve technique/economy, increasing your base, etc.

2007-11-19 2:28 PM

User image

Chicago
    Well that's just it. I am taking a well needed break for the year to recover and rest. However, I really do think I can work on building functional strength to help inform my workouts when the season ramps up. My base training -- always looking to build my base, but I feel like my body could benefit from much more specific and tailored strength training this year. And yes, I will also work on a few things like technique etc.

The goals here are not to become a muscle head. I do want stronger muscle strength, though, and since I won't be doing intervals out on icy roads, I need to have a good plan.

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Off season goals -- Personal Trainer, Strength Rss Feed