of 2

2007-11-20 10:55 AM
in reply to: #1062146

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA
Subject: RE: 60 minutes--restaurant calories
Chippy - 2007-11-20 11:29 AM

See, this is a good example of why you don't need to post them in the actual store: if you care about calories, you can take the initative to look it up online. If you don't, you don't. That way franchise owners are not burdened with have to buy new signage, and those who care can care.

I respectfully disagree.  I think that what we have here is a very small subset of people who are actively health conscious and computer savy, compared with a greater number of American people who are unfamiliar or intimidated by the Internet and would like to be healthy, but don't understand why they aren't.

Now granted, most people under the age of 40 can log onto a computer and find the nutritional information with some help.  But what about older people who have no idea how to "get online."  I have plenty of relatives who have computers solely to get email and if something other then email pops up, they end up calling one of us for help.

Also, by saying that fast food companies don't have to post nutritional information in close proximity to the food, we should thus be able to free up tons of ink by not having to print nutritional labels on groceries.  Save the eels - we no longer need the extra ink.  Rather, before you go shopping, you can look up all the nutritional information you need for the grocery store.

You also say that this reduces "signage" burden for owners and that those who care about nutrition can look online.  Here's the problem - many people DO care and think they're CARING, but are grossly wrong.  That's part of the showing on the 60 minutes was that even when people THINK they are eating healthy, they're not.

People are persuaded by marketing.  I think conspicous posting of nutritional information should be mandatory in places where you order food.  I think the burden to the store owner is minimal compared with the benefits.

In my mind, I always seem to go back to the McDonald's Healthy Menu scenario.  They started selling salads and bottomed-out housewives would eat them by the dozen while their kids eat the 4 piece nuggets, fries and played with the lead-laden made in China crappy toy.  These salads were served with deep fried (aka Crispy) chicken and REGULAR dressing, thus giving them a nutritional profile comparable to a cheeseburger and fries.  But people walked away thinking "oh, good to me, I ate a healthy salad for lunch." 

Print their projected calories total on the receipt and give them the truth - on the spot.

2007-11-20 10:59 AM
in reply to: #1062192

User image

Buttercup

crowny2 - 2007-11-20 11:52 AM

No wonder so many people are fat if they are also too lazy to do a little research on what they are eating. 

HEY NOW!!!! I come by my fat honestly. Has nothing to do with being too lazy to research. Geez - in one sentence you condemned us to fatness, ignorance and sloth!

I know butter is fattening and I love it and eat it almost daily. I also buy whole milk and use half/half and LOVE heavy cream. YAY for butter fats! YAY for mayo! YAY for kettle chips (especially the salt & vinegar chips)!

I, also, know that if I eat more calories than I burn I will accumulate the excess fat.

Be careful what conclusions you draw about why some of us have more fat than we need! Most of us are armed with knowledge.

2007-11-20 11:02 AM
in reply to: #1061408

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Why is it when someone who is trying to lose weight first response is to log your food? why is that? because we always underestimate what we are eating and when we finally see it we are shocked.

I know I do it all the time. Tuesday night I always get drilled chicken with letcuce but I need to bring a scale since I have no clue what I am really eating. I need to figure this out.
2007-11-20 11:09 AM
in reply to: #1062192

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA
Crowny2 - excellent points.  In NYC, they proposed a small business exemption to the calorie posting rules whereby if you are under a certain size  (e.g. mom & pop) - you can be exempt.
2007-11-20 11:13 AM
in reply to: #1062204

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
condorman - 2007-11-20 10:55 AM

I respectfully disagree.  I think that what we have here is a very small subset of people who are actively health conscious and computer savy, compared with a greater number of American people who are unfamiliar or intimidated by the Internet and would like to be healthy, but don't understand why they aren't

I respectully disagree with your respectfully disagree. I think people FULL WELL know that what they are eating is horrible for them. They simply don't care.

Rather, before you go shopping, you can look up all the nutritional information you need for the grocery store.

Interesting point... but again. I think people know full well that the green beans are healthier than the twinkies. You don't need a nutritional fact sheet to tell you that.

Print their projected calories total on the receipt and give them the truth - on the spot.

I had this same idea when I was watching this 60-minute story. The only flaw in this is that it's after the fact that they've already ordered.
2007-11-20 11:25 AM
in reply to: #1062204

User image

Elite
Columbus, Ohio
condorman - 2007-11-20 11:55 AM

People are persuaded by marketing.  I think conspicous posting of nutritional information should be mandatory in places where you order food.  I think the burden to the store owner is minimal compared with the benefits.

The store owner is taking on all of the cost due to uninformed consumer buying a product without thinking about it. The cost of signage is not minimal. The cost of implementing your recepit idea is not minimal. There is no benefit to the company for the extra control and display. I agree that they should supply nutritional information but we are shifting even more of the onus of the uninformed consumer further onto the producer. Where do we draw the line?

2007-11-20 11:59 AM
in reply to: #1062234

User image

Champion
Richmond, VA

lisac957 - 2007-11-20 12:13 PM ... I respectully disagree with your respectfully disagree. I think people FULL WELL know that what they are eating is horrible for them. They simply don't care.

Interesting point... but again. I think people know full well that the green beans are healthier than the twinkies. You don't need a nutritional fact sheet to tell you that. ...

Very valid points.  I completely understand both sides of the arguments, but I guess I feel a little jaded in thinking that the vast majority of people can differentiate between healthy marketing and actual healthy food.  They talk about Subway's "Eat Healthy" campaign, but don't offer whole wheat bread.  What happened to all the Atkin's people walking around eat a Hambone and blowing in the wind like a waif?

I just feel like if they add nutritional information, that can be a great information leveler.  It can possibly offer a better perpsective.

Then again, remember how the U.S. Gov't required full disclosure statements for any loans to show the applicants what the actual APY will be, including hidden costs.  Most Americans don't read and/or understand that either.

Yes, at the end of the day it comes down to personal responsibility.  But it cheeses me to no end when I see people attempting to take personal responsibility but basically sabotaging their own efforts. 

If there was truth in advertising, you wouldn't have to include "results not typically" below every weight loss commercial.  I know people who go on SlimFast for 2 weeks, lose a couple pounds and then back to normal food and the gain is lost (or more appropriately - the lose is gained).

I think there will always be the contingent that know and don't care (e.g. SMOKERS!!!!).  But there are the contingent that think they know, care and just can't right their own ship.  It is for those people I think public posting of information is important.

As for Twinkies and Green Bean - yes that is an obvious choice.  But how many people realize the amount of sodium in a can of green beans?  That you can know because they print the information on the label. 

Edited by condorman 2007-11-20 12:00 PM
2007-11-20 12:28 PM
in reply to: #1062021

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
condorman - 2007-11-20 9:37 AM

I agree with your comments that there MUST be some level of personal responsibility here.  I find it funny people order a larger combo meal (Whopper and Large Fry) w/ a diet coke - yeah the diet coke will save the day. 

I'll order a diet (Pepsi) regardless of what else I order because I like the taste better than regular Pepsi.  Plus, it gives me an extra 250 calories to eat instead of drink

Hey, I know what I'm doing the second I pull into the parking lot of the restaurant food place (blowing my daily calorie balance).  Luckily, I don't do it that often. 

We have to be accountable for our choices (not just at the restaurant).  For a long time, eating healthy wasn't important enough to me to change my behavior.  Now it is. 

2007-11-20 12:51 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
As a consumer how much are you willing to pay to have this information available to you. From the restaurants perspective they now need someone to get the info, print it, update the web page and then monitor suppliers to ensure the numbers are accurate. Most restaurants are small business's with minimal staff to do this kind of work. If your McDonalds or Subway its probably not a big deal but if your a small local place its onerous.
2007-11-20 1:03 PM
in reply to: #1062262

User image

Master
Running trails in S. Ontario
JChristoff - 2007-11-20 12:25 PM
condorman - 2007-11-20 11:55 AM

The store owner is taking on all of the cost due to uninformed consumer buying a product without thinking about it. The cost of signage is not minimal. The cost of implementing your recepit idea is not minimal. There is no benefit to the company for the extra control and display. I agree that they should supply nutritional information but we are shifting even more of the onus of the uninformed consumer further onto the producer. Where do we draw the line?

I agree.  It's like the whole coffee cup thing, where they had to put "caution, contents are hot". Like duh!

People have to start taking responsibility for themselves.  It shouldn't be the government's or the restaurant's responsibility to label everything into oblivion.  Go ahead and have the nutritional information available on request, this is necessary for people who have to watch their diet for medical reasons, but no need to actually post it. Some things are just common sense, and if you don't have common sense, well your on your own.  If it says fast food, then chances are, it's not going to be very healthy.

2007-11-20 1:08 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Sure, posting the correct calories on menus and such would be a good start. However, it does no good when the majority of Americans have no idea how many calories they should be eating, or even what a calorie is. Then you have to look at fat content, protein and carb percentages, etc.

A triathletes forum probably isn't a sampling that is representative of society. The range of knowledge here probably runs from "I know I need more carbs before a race" all the way to some people with specific food logs and precise amounts per day. Both cases at least have a clue about what goes into their body. In my work place I typically hear, "I wish I could eat as much as you and stay skinny." It makes me roll my eyes. I wonder if they know mayo is egg and oil or just how much sugar is in a Coke. For all I know, the nutrional label on food might look like Latin to them. Educating the masses on what it all means needs to be the first step. Information is great, but if you don't know what that info means, it's worthless.

2007-11-20 1:30 PM
in reply to: #1062211

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL
Renee - 2007-11-20 10:59 AM

crowny2 - 2007-11-20 11:52 AM

No wonder so many people are fat if they are also too lazy to do a little research on what they are eating. 

HEY NOW!!!! I come by my fat honestly. Has nothing to do with being too lazy to research. Geez - in one sentence you condemned us to fatness, ignorance and sloth!

I know butter is fattening and I love it and eat it almost daily. I also buy whole milk and use half/half and LOVE heavy cream. YAY for butter fats! YAY for mayo! YAY for kettle chips (especially the salt & vinegar chips)!

I, also, know that if I eat more calories than I burn I will accumulate the excess fat.

Be careful what conclusions you draw about why some of us have more fat than we need! Most of us are armed with knowledge.

Apologies if I offended.  Wasn't my intention.  My wife is overweight and she too comes by it naturally.  But on average, it is well documented, that our population is overweight. 

There are exceptions to everything, but just like a business, you can't run a country on the exceptions.  If you do, you will run it into the ground.

2007-11-20 1:37 PM
in reply to: #1062229

User image

Champion

condorman - 2007-11-20 11:09 AM Crowny2 - excellent points.  In NYC, they proposed a small business exemption to the calorie posting rules whereby if you are under a certain size  (e.g. mom & pop) - you can be exempt.

Great, so then what, truly, is the goal of the legislation?  If there is a small business exemption, is the government TRULY interested in the well fare of its constituency (sp?) or do they just want to make it LOOK like they care.  I personally think it is the latter of those two. 

BTW, I still find it all terribly hipocritical.  If the health of the nation is of that much importance to our beloved government (who in reality WE put there) then ban cigarrettes outright.  Ban alcohol.  Ban ANY fat over a specific amount.  Enforce exercise.  Enforce portion control.  The selective nature of the regulations is equally as ludicrous as these "regulations" I've just listed.

And the best statement on this thread so far, You can put out all the information you want but if you don't understand what it means, it is worthless.  Thanks Sesh.

Edited by crowny2 2007-11-20 1:38 PM
2007-11-20 2:12 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Well my gym likes to say there food is healthy. I asked and was able to get information. oinly way you can if you want to look at there speadsheet.

577 calories. Now if you give into there pressure and get the chips and soda you might be having a 1,000 lunch easy.

You think hey I am at the gym which focus is fitness and they even have there own weight lose club but hey 1,000 cal lunches would not do it.

I also like how people go small places jsut can not handle it? First of all sounds kinda silly since how often does a menu change? If there menus is changing that often well then they have to reprint it anyways. Do they change suppliers change constantly? Sounds like a money maker if they do. Simple program that will adjust nutrtional information if the suppilier ingreditants do change. It really is not all that hard. Wait I forgot they have no PCs at the store. Well then they are in trouble I guess.

In fact Mom and Pas would suffer I bet as more and more people watch there calorie intake. Why go to mom and pa if you have no clue than Mcdonalds because atleast there you know
2007-11-20 2:26 PM
in reply to: #1062592

User image

Champion

chirunner134 - 2007-11-20 2:12 PM Well my gym likes to say there food is healthy. I asked and was able to get information. oinly way you can if you want to look at there speadsheet. 577 calories. Now if you give into there pressure and get the chips and soda you might be having a 1,000 lunch easy. You think hey I am at the gym which focus is fitness and they even have there own weight lose club but hey 1,000 cal lunches would not do it. I also like how people go small places jsut can not handle it? First of all sounds kinda silly since how often does a menu change? If there menus is changing that often well then they have to reprint it anyways. Do they change suppliers change constantly? Sounds like a money maker if they do. Simple program that will adjust nutrtional information if the suppilier ingreditants do change. It really is not all that hard. Wait I forgot they have no PCs at the store. Well then they are in trouble I guess. In fact Mom and Pas would suffer I bet as more and more people watch there calorie intake. Why go to mom and pa if you have no clue than Mcdonalds because atleast there you know

Todd,

No, their menu does not change, and depending on how they are set up (order board, laminated menu, folding menu, etc) it can actually be quite a big cost to a small outfit.  Most smaller outfits run on a very narrow profit margin.  The margin has been squeezed tighter by the larger national chains.  They do not have the capital to expend on that type of expense.  Nor for computers.  Or upgrades to existing computers. 

And if the menu does change, and say it is a new product they want to roll out, their cost for rolling out the new product has increased because they will either have to 1) test it to find out the nutritional content or 2) hope and pray that they can get the information via a data base.  Either way, it will increase the over all cost.  Maybe not by much, but any increase in cost will either have to eat into their profit margin, or be passed directly onto the consumer.

2007-11-20 2:38 PM

User image

Expert
oregon ave,
Most everyone on this site is very aware of "healthy" food because it is part of our lifestyle. For the other 85% (guessing) of the world's population, they really are clueless. For this, having that info would be of great help and an eye opener especially for the overweight population. Perhaps it might change their views and make them become more aware and change their eating habits/lifestyle. No harm in that. However, the government forcing any buisness into something like this does scare me a little. In my opinion, they are overstepping boundries and playing big brother too much. I like the idea, just not the force used to implement it. Make it an option with benefits to businesses that do it. If a business plays it smart, it could be a good move for them.

2007-11-20 2:59 PM
in reply to: #1062649

User image

Champion

mikep - 2007-11-20 2:38 PM Most everyone on this site is very aware of "healthy" food because it is part of our lifestyle. For the other 85% (guessing) of the world's population, they really are clueless. For this, having that info would be of great help and an eye opener especially for the overweight population. Perhaps it might change their views and make them become more aware and change their eating habits/lifestyle. No harm in that. However, the government forcing any buisness into something like this does scare me a little. In my opinion, they are overstepping boundries and playing big brother too much. I like the idea, just not the force used to implement it. Make it an option with benefits to businesses that do it. If a business plays it smart, it could be a good move for them.

The market should be the driving force behind this, not the government.  If the market deems it a necessity, it would be a competitive disadvantage not to have it.  That is not the case right now because, as you rightly pointed out, a majority of individual could care less, or if they do care, they do not know what to do with the information if they had it.  Therefore, it is more about education and less about information availability.

2007-11-20 4:53 PM

User image

Expert
I agree that most people don't know what to look for on a nutrition label, but as I sat in my office one day and read the CalorieKing book with some people I work with, we were stunned at some of the damage that one meal can do to a calorie or fat count. Even some of the things that masquerade as healthy (like salad that people add fatty dressing to) are ridiculously calorie-laden. I hate being blindsided by some of the seemingly healthy meals that really turn out to be worse than a big mac and large fries. I understand that eating at home and cooking my own food is better, but when I travel for my job or visit relatives I don't have much of a choice.

As for losing business or costing more money for companies, I think I would actually eat out more often if I had information about what I was ordering. Instead of trying to convince my friends to go to a restaurant where I can get a healthier meal, I could find something on the menu that does a little less damage. Plus, there are those days when I just want to treat myself to something that I can't reasonably cook myself, and even if I know it's full of calories, I can still figure out a way to split the dish or take out certain ingredients to make it work if I really want to eat it. I know these are just personal reasons, but I'm sure there are plenty of other people with the same concerns. Look at the number of people using FitDay or CalorieCount and imagine those people as lost consumers that the restaurants could get back if they just provided the info!

I was at Au Bon Pain a few weeks ago and noticed a console where customers can look up nutrition info. No paper, no printed material, no displays screaming at you from behind the counter...just a console that stays there and can be changed if necessary. Panera Bread had brochures...not many people took them so I'd imagine the cost to be minimal. Plus, if Starbucks and McDonalds can provide free wi-fi, they can print a pamphlet that tells me what's in my chicken salad. There's a difference between having the information available and shoving it down people's throats, and I think some chains have handled it very well.

2007-11-20 8:01 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
I talked to my father who was in the manufactoring of food industry. he said they knew exact calories of everything because all they had to do was look it up on the information based on the FDA. Chicken breast is a chicken breast you just need to know how big it is. Something like a bun or a biscuit you would have to get the info from the vendor but they should have it. If your a hotdog vendor you may buy all you materials in the regular store and then you should know it for sure.

If you saw your big mac was 510 calories you might think twice about the fries.

I know when I saw how calories were in it I stopped eating it except maybe once a year or so. That is usually after a marathon or half ironman.

Plus if you knew how much you were eating you you may look into it espically if you feel you need to lose weight. Knowlege is always a good thing.
2007-11-21 1:08 AM
in reply to: #1063264

User image

Master
chirunner134 - 2007-11-20 9:01 PM

• If you saw your big mac was 510 calories you might think twice about the fries.

I know when I saw how calories were in it I stopped eating it except maybe once a year or so. That is usually after a marathon or half ironman.

Plus if you knew how much you were eating you you may look into it espically if you feel you need to lose weight. Knowlege is always a good thing.

I happened by McDonalds the other day, and I noticed that the calorie information is posted on the french fry carton, as well as the burger wrappers. I thought this was pretty cool.

How much obesity in the US is from eating habits, and how much of it is from the American lifestyle of zero exercise?
    2007-11-21 7:41 AM

User image

Champion
    Chicago, Illinois
    I think its more diet since if you want to lose weight you can not excersie it away. We have a nasty habit atleast of increasing food with excerise. Though I think both is important and both is something we are lacking as a nation.

My local mom and pop restranaut does not have the calories for here chicken sandwhich. He let me know they add some olive oil and I found a nice fully cooked chicken breast information. Granted this is a big chicken sandwich but it has almost 600 calories and that is without the mayo.

Chicken breast is over 1/3 a lbs after being cooked. A scale can do many wonderful things.

2007-11-21 8:01 AM
    in reply to: #1062507

User image

Champion
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Bronze member
    crowny2 - 2007-11-20 1:37 PM

BTW, I still find it all terribly hipocritical.  If the health of the nation is of that much importance to our beloved government (who in reality WE put there) then ban cigarrettes outright.  Ban alcohol.  Ban ANY fat over a specific amount.  Enforce exercise.  Enforce portion control.  The selective nature of the regulations is equally as ludicrous as these "regulations" I've just listed.

Been there, tried that, and it failed miserably.  And it won't work any better the second, third, or fourth time here in the USA. 

Personally, I don't want anyone else deciding what is best for me or my family.  That's my job.  If I want to have a drink, I shouldn't have to file an application and wait for a permit.  If I want to buy real butter to put on my fresh-baked bread, I should be able to.  If I choose to buy a 14 mpg SUV (in our case, a van) I should be allowed to (don't worry, Greenies, we conserve energy in lots of other ways, like walking to the video store instead of driving).  I don't need (and I REALLY DON'T WANT) Ralph Nader or Al Gore as my nanny. 

2007-11-21 8:09 AM
    in reply to: #1063264

User image

Elite
    Columbus, Ohio
    chirunner134 - 2007-11-20 9:01 PM
    PART 1
    If you saw your big mac was 510 calories you might think twice about the fries.

PART2
    My local mom and pop restranaut does not have the calories for here chicken sandwhich. He let me know they add some olive oil and I found a nice fully cooked chicken breast information. Granted this is a big chicken sandwich but it has almost 600 calories and that is without the mayo.

You are all over the place. Did you stop eating at the mom and pop place too because their sandwich has more calories than a big mac? Or do you only eat there after an HIM or marathon as well?

Edited by JChristoff 2007-11-21 8:11 AM
    2007-11-21 8:25 AM
    in reply to: #1063588

User image

Champion
    McFuzz - 2007-11-21 8:01 AM
    crowny2 - 2007-11-20 1:37 PM

Been there, tried that, and it failed miserably.  And it won't work any better the second, third, or fourth time here in the USA. 

Personally, I don't want anyone else deciding what is best for me or my family.  That's my job.  If I want to have a drink, I shouldn't have to file an application and wait for a permit.  If I want to buy real butter to put on my fresh-baked bread, I should be able to.  If I choose to buy a 14 mpg SUV (in our case, a van) I should be allowed to (don't worry, Greenies, we conserve energy in lots of other ways, like walking to the video store instead of driving).  I don't need (and I REALLY DON'T WANT) Ralph Nader or Al Gore, Hillary, Rudy, Edwards, Romney, Obama, etc as my nanny. 

I couldn't agree more.  I fixed one thing for you in italics. 

2007-11-21 9:37 AM
    in reply to: #1063595

User image

Champion
    Chicago, Illinois
    no I still eat there. I might get the chicken on a salad with vigarrete dressing though than the bun since the bun addes alot of calories also.

I just learnt I have to make room for those calories. No sense in running 10 miles only to eat it back in 20 minutes.

Big Macs are only after the HIM. I know the big mac has less calories than the chicken sandwhich but if I go and run 10 miles the extra protein and alot less fat would be useful. Chicken sandwhich is over 1/3 a lbs of meat where big mac is 1/5 a lbs.
    New Thread
    Other Resources My Cup of Joe » 60 minutes--restaurant calories Rss Feed  

of 2