United States
38F / 3C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 18m 30s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I wasn't planning on running at all - I originally signed up for the marathon but had knee problems starting about 3 months before the race and topped out at a 15 mile long run followed by a precipitous drop to 1.5 mi max, then took 5 weeks off.
Before the run I met up with my bro who brought me some jogging pants because I had none and it was freezing out. Sucked down a few bars and a Tastycake then walked 1.5 mi to the race start.
Event warmup:

Walking to the starting line.
Run
  • 2h 18m 30s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

The most I ran in the previous 3 months was 4mi due to knee problems (both knees). I only did the race because Jen got sick the day before the race and I ran with my bro instead of her. I made it 11.5 mi before the knee started to hurt, then I walked about 3 minutes, then ran the rest of the way at a faster pace (for some reason me knee doesn't hurt as much when I run faster - I believe it's because I'm forced to have better form).
What would you do differently?:

Do more PT for my knees in the weeks leading up to the race.
Post race
Warm down:

Eat some food at the food tent then walk quickly back to the hotel to shower, check out, move our stuff to the car, then go back to the race to see Cathy finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I ran at my brother's pace. Also had 2 bad knees.

Event comments:

My biggest complaints are: they didn't have enough water stations (only 1 every 2.5 miles) and they didn't have enough bathrooms. Way too many people ended up peeing just off the side of the road and for about a 4 mile stretch, there weren't many options at all. Near the end of that stretch we went by a construction trailer and there must have been 5 or 6 women squatting behind / next to the trailer with no cover at all. It's disappointing that they had to resort to that because there were so few other options.

Last updated: 2007-11-20 12:00 AM
Running
02:18:30 | 13.1 miles | 10m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: The course was pretty flat and had good scenery - it went by many of the good touristy parts of the city. There were not nearly enough port-a-johns on the course - there were MANY people who dogged into treed areas or behind construction trailers to relieve themselves (including me).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes