General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sore/tight muscles Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-11-20 4:51 PM

User image

Expert
In limbo
Subject: Sore/tight muscles

I'm guessing this is a really stupid question, but I'm clueless so I'm asking anyway. 

I've been working on changing my running form a bit so that my recent long run didn't hurt my shins (yaaaaaaaay!!!) but it did leave my calves really really sore and tight. (booooo!)

My long run was on sunday and i've done a short run and a very short run on monday and tuesday.  This morning (tuesday) before my run I could barely walk.  I was hobbling around and making it downstairs nearly killed me.  After lots and lots of stretching and some walking I was ok for a short run and actually felt better after running.  As the day has gone on they've been feeling stiff and sore again.  So my question is...what should I be doing to best take care of my calves so I can keep running?  Is it good to keep running on them since that seems to help, or should I be taking it easy to let them recover?  Anything else to be doing or not doing?

Thanks!

2007-11-20 5:03 PM
in reply to: #1062916

User image

Folsom, CA (Sacramento Area)
Subject: RE: Sore/tight muscles
what exactly id you change in your running form?
2007-11-20 11:12 PM
in reply to: #1062931

User image

Expert
In limbo

MrSolis - 2007-11-20 3:03 PM what exactly id you change in your running form?

I've just been working on getting my feet more directly underneath me which has changed my foot strike from my heels to more midfoot.

2007-11-20 11:29 PM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Could be you just haven't exerted your calves as much with your previous form, now they're more worn out, and thus more tired and sore. Almost like working muscles that don't get used as much, like all the weird places that hurt after yard work or something. Maybe a little more stretching, a warm soak in the tub, and an old fashioned rub down could help. My feeble guess, that you probably shouldn't pay much attention to, would be that it is just taking them longer to recover because they are being worked out more than they used to. The stiffness and soreness will probably work it's way out as you get out and run with the new form more and more. Hey, I'd rather deal with some calf soreness than shin pains.

It's never a stupid question when something is hurting by the way. Hurting and injured don't always feel different, but it's vital to find out which it is.
2007-11-21 8:43 AM

Jacksonville, FL

http://www.halhigdon.com/15Ktraining/Stretch.htm

Pay special attention to #4 and #5.  The Soleus is most likely whats bothering you.  

Make sure you get those hamstrings and quads stretched, as they tighten up, your stride will shorten.  Its one thing to take short strides to keep your feet at/behind you center of gravity, its another to not be able to stretch those legs out when your running.

2007-11-21 8:49 AM
in reply to: #1063640

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

This question is timely for me.  I actually hurt my calves doing water aerobics on Saturday (it felt like going to step aerobics class after a long absence).    I have attributed it to just using the muscles in a different way, which I think is probably the case for you too, but it's getting really tiring.  I could barely walk Sunday, better on Monday but stairs were tough and constant soreness while walking.  Last night I tried to run 2 miles (2 miles!!!) on the treadmill and I could only make one before the pain got worse and I started to worry. 

Does anyone know how to tell the difference between sore and injured?  Normally in questions like this I tell people they should ask their doctor, but in these days with health insurance how it is.... I hate to go unnecessarily.

2007-11-21 8:54 AM

User image

Champion
You're sore from doing something that you're not used to.  No amount of stretching or anything else is going to make that go away.  Rest until you feel better and don't push beyond your boundaries all that often.
2007-11-21 9:07 AM

User image

Champion
MA

I changed my running style last year. You really need to go slowly and not do much running until your body adapts or you will be like me with an injury that sidelined me half of last year.

Do 10 minute runs not 30-40. Allow your body time to get used to it..you'll be glad you did. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Sore/tight muscles Rss Feed