General Discussion Race Reports! » Miami Dade ParksTurkey Trot 5K & 10K Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Miami Dade ParksTurkey Trot 5K & 10K - Run10k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Miami, Florida
United States
PR Racing
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 22m 29s
Overall Rank = 482/514
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 61/69
Pre-race routine:

Got up at showered, drank water but didn't eat anything. I made 3 bathroom trips so I was a bit nervous and I didn't want to eat anything for fear I would get sick.
Event warmup:

Walked and jogged around, stretched, listened to my iPod. I ran into some friends before the race start. First it was my BT friends Felix and Mayde - who I was pleasantly surprised to see as they just got back from their Honeymoon in Costa Rica. Running into them made my morning! I also ran into Janette and her hunky Aussie boyfriend... we chatted in line waiting for the race to start. Lastly, I passed Matt, an attorney I worked with last year. He's soo nice... but wasn't running this year - he must've been there for his girlfriend. Anyway... the race started and I was feeling it!
Run
  • 1h 22m 29s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 13m 18s  min/mile
Comments:

My first 10K - and I kicked a$$!!! I must say I ran a very smart race. I kept my pace, slow and easy. I was smiling, jamming to my music, and was unbelievably happy throughout the run. The best songs on my playlist that helped me maintain the pace were "Head over Heels" by the Go-gos, and "I'm a Believer" by Smashmouth. I was strong for the first 3 miles and figured I would poop out for the second half of the race, but I just kept my pace, slow and steady. There were 3 women I was chasing for that 2nd half who were keeping a faster pace than me but who were also struggling with that pace. I passed them easily and stayed ahead of them for the last couple of miles. Woo-hoo! However, I wasn't nasty or anything... on the contrary, I supported them and told them to keep going. I felt so frikkin' awesome out there today. By the last mile I knew I was going to finish and finish strong. For the last few hundred yards I put that Rocky's theme on and sprinted as fast as my little legs could carry me. When that crescendo in the music hit I swear I almost lost it out there. It was an amazing moment in my life! It was at this point I reached an 11:22 minute mile - according to my Polar anyway! Felix gave me a congratulatory hug at the finish line! That was so cool of him too! He said I looked strong out there... coming from him (Mr. Xterra) it meant a lot. I spent 827 calories, although I feel dehydrated - b/c I hardly sweat, but I know I did b/c I'm all covered in salt. I'm very proud of my performance today.
What would you do differently?:

Hydrate appropriately on a daily basis.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit, got something to eat, then sat down and stretched a little.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I'm slow.

Event comments:

Hung out with Felix and Mayde for a bit after the race. It was such a nice surprise to see them again. Mayde even had a personal best at this race! I'm so thankful for the blessings of this past year. I've come such a long way in my physical fitness and weight loss... I'm looking forward to the blessings the new year will surely bring.

And... I am going to kick a$$ at the half mary in February! Yeah!

PS. I just posted my official time - I did better than I originally thought! Woo-hoo!

Last updated: 2007-11-21 12:00 AM
Running
01:22:29 | 06.2 miles | 13m 18s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/69
Overall: 0/514
Performance: Good
Course: Flat and very tropical. The event is at Tropical Park which is full of palm trees and lakes. It was a lovely morning and cool morning.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-11-22 9:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami, FL
Subject: Miami Dade ParksTurkey Trot 5K & 10K

2007-11-22 10:15 AM
in reply to: #1065099

User image

Master
South Florida
Subject: RE: Miami Dade ParksTurkey Trot 5K & 10K

WAY TO GO CARI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are a rockstar   That's an awesome pace, and to finish strong is the best!!!  Sounds like a great way to start Thanksgiving (and I'm jealous you got to hang out with the newlyweds). 

2007-11-22 11:20 AM
in reply to: #1065099

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Subject: RE: Miami Dade ParksTurkey Trot 5K & 10K
WHOOP WHOOP great Job Cari
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Miami Dade ParksTurkey Trot 5K & 10K Rss Feed