Miami Dade Parks
73F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 39m 20s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Male 35-39
Age Group Rank = 6/82
Pre-race routine:

Met up with Patches, Mari, J-dog, Alfred & Caru at Tropical Park. We picked up our timing chips, went back to Patches' truck and just chilled for half an hour or so.
Event warmup:

With 30 minutes before the start, we all got ready and headed out for a 15 minute warmup and bathroom break. Then, we all headed towards the startline and seeded ourselves according to our planned per mile pace.
Run
  • 39m 20s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

I lined up fairly close to the startline planning on running a 6:45/mile pace or a sub-42:00. The warmup run did me good this time around. The prior years, I would just show up to the startline and go. Just before the 1 mile mark when the crowd thinned out a bit, I got into a groove and held steady. The pace was faster than I intended to run, but still tolerable.
After the first loop the race clock showed 19+ minutes. I knew at this point if I could just keep it together I would PR today. The course got a little bit crowded towards the end of the race with the 5K runners/walkers out in front, but nothing that would slow me down. On the contrary, it kept my mind busy and not focused on the discomfort of the hard effort.
I finished the second loop and headed into the football stadium where we had to complete a lap around the track towards the finish. I was completely shocked to see a 39 on the clock as I crossed the line. Amazing!

What would you do differently?:

Nada
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around the track in the opposite direction cheering people to the finish. It was awesome to see my best buds finish with personal bests. Patches was talking about a 49+ race - noway 45:59. J-dog with a great 51:00 and Alfred, without training much, a 51:24. Caru was looking for a 21 (5K racer) but had to settle for a super respectful 22:47.
I am proud and honored to be a part of a great bunch of athletes. This goes out to the one's that raced, but also to the one's that could not be with us today - Buns, Bagger, Wifi, Ramster, G-lo, Crash, Mimi and anyone I am forgetting at the moment.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

Event comments:

Another fantastic job by PR Racing. This race has become a must do for me and my buddies. It has a great course, two distances and tons of people. This event is just one more thing to be thankful for on Thanksgiving Day.

Last updated: 2007-11-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:39:20 | 06.21 miles | 06m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/82
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Two loops inside and around Tropical Park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-11-22 10:41 AM

User image

New user

Miami, Florida
Subject: BCBS Turkey Trot 5K/10K

2007-11-22 2:02 PM
in reply to: #1065150

User image

Veteran
Miami
Subject: RE: BCBS Turkey Trot 5K/10K

YOU DID AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By the way-- my time was wrong! i did a 21:43-- hehe -- is better than 22, but not quite 21 OR DIE! so, we shall see...doin a race in KW sat..so I will bust to make my 21 there... ill sleep friday...have fun enjoy then fam...;

2007-11-23 8:04 AM
in reply to: #1065150

User image

Master
South Florida
Subject: RE: BCBS Turkey Trot 5K/10K
you are simply amazing!!!!  how do you go so FAST???!!!!  Awesome job on the PR!!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » BCBS Turkey Trot 5K/10K Rss Feed