United States
43F / 6C
Overcast
Total Time = 52m 1s
Overall Rank = 2187/10552
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 153/492
Pre-race routine:

Ate cereal for breakfast got dressed and headed downtown for the race. Got registered, race number attached, etc, then headed back out to the car to stay warm. Was trying to decide whether to go with shorts, pants, long sleeves, sweatshirt? Went with shorts and tshirt under long sleeve tshirt, gloves and winter hat... was just right.

My family actually had Thanksgiving dinner last night so I was still feeling a bit full after tons of food and several beers. I almost skipped the race but figured what the heck, I already paid for it. It was until just before the race started when they were playing "Eye of the Tiger" that I felt fully motivated. Gotta love that Rocky Balboa!
Event warmup:

Did some pretty good stretching and some light jogging.
Run
  • 52m 1s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal was to finish with an 8:30/mile pace so I seeded myself halfway between the 8 and 9min pace markers. I'm not sure if others don't pay attention to these or if they just have lofty goals, but I felt like I was dodging in and out of people for the first two miles.

I reached mile 1 at 8:44 and thought I'd blown my chances already. I just decided to pick up the pace and slowly try to peck away at my goal. I was keeping an eye out for some pace booty to follow and boy was there a lot of it! Latched onto a couple and just kept pushing the pace trying to keep it just below anaerobic threshold.

I kept checking my splits and my goal was looking reachable. After mile 5 I was 5 secs behind my 8:30/mile goal so I knew I could pick that up and then some as long as I didn't blow up. I had a decent amount left for a long final kick that allowed me to finish in 52:01 or 8:24 pace. I never looked at my watch on the last stretch or I'm sure I could've picked up those two seconds. No biggie though, still a 10K PR by a couple minutes. What a fun race!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing other than maybe seed myself up a bit further. It doesn't really matter though, the race was a fun event and I really enjoyed it.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked over and got some water and just continued to walk around. Walked/jogged back to the car to get warmer clothes on. Then I walked back up and watched some more of the runners and did some good stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing really. I guess I was slowed by the crowds of people but thats what makes it so much fun.

Event comments:

This was the 98th running of the Thanksgiving Day Race, So they've had a few years to work out the kinks. It was the second time I've run it and both times it was very smooth. A very good and fun race, I'll do it every year that I'm here.

Last updated: 2007-10-03 12:00 AM
Running
00:52:01 | 06.21 miles | 08m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 153/492
Overall: 2187/10552
Performance: Good
Mile 1 = 8:44, Mile 2-3 = 17:02, Mile 4 = 8:29, Mile 5 = 8:21, Mile 6.2 = 9:27
Course: Winds up through downtown Cincinnati with a hill right in the first mile. Eventually crosses over hilly bridge into Newport, KY. Then over another bridge into Covington, KY, then a third bridge back to Cinti. Starts and finishes in front of Paul Brown Stadium. All three bridges were decent hills.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes