Gulf Association of USA Track & Field.
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 37m 5s
Overall Rank = 28/1338
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 1/38
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at my sisters since she lives 5min from the Race. Woke up ate some oatmeal and banana. Put down some water, got ready, and headed out
Event warmup:

Just jogged back to the car to change into race gear then jogged around to stay warm till race started. Maybe a mile and half total.
Run
  • 37m 5s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 05m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Not a bad run, I didn't leave anything on the course atleast. I wanted to start out slow then cut down. But with the wind I decided that would be a bad idea. We had a 16-20mph tail wind for the first 1.2 miles which turns into a cross wind for miles 1.2-5. Then back into the wind for the final 1.2 miles. So I decided to open up quicker to give my self a window to dip under 37min.

May of started out a bit too quick, but overall I felt like I ran it well. First mile was 5:52 went through the 2 mile mark at 11:43ish and was still feeling really well. Got to the 5k time at 18:18 which was great, may of been a bit too quick, but I still felt decent at this point. I forget my 4mile split but my calfs were starting to fade a bit, which is expected. I hit the 5mile mark in 29:38(which is a 20 second PR) If we didn't have to turn into a strong gusting headwind for the final 1.2 miles, I don't think I would of had an issue running a 36:50.

Turned into that wind and it was a battle to get to the finish, I pushed quite a bit more then I have in my last few races. I didn't have anyone to draft off of, a group of 3 did pass me but they were surging when I couldn't surge :P I held on the best I could saw the timing mat and focused in on it. I hit the mat with my foot and I was DONE! But then I heard people yelling.. KEEP GOING. The real finish mat was 20 yards further.. that costs me some costly seconds. I was far from the only person to do that too.
What would you do differently?:

I really felt like I ran a good race, I'm sure I could of paced right or pushed just a little bit harder. But I'm satisfied with holding just under 6min pace.
Post race
Warm down:

jogged back to the car to get warm clothes on and then jogged back.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

It's off season? :)

Last updated: 2007-11-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:37:05 | 06.21 miles | 05m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/38
Overall: 38/1338
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back with a total of 3 turns in it.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes