So Others Might Eat
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 27m 18s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Sometime before midnight, I decided to look and see if there was a local race in the morning that had race day registration. I had 2 options, a 5K in DC or a 10K in Bethesda. I decided on the 5K for location, cost, and cause. Then I went to barter to get out of work fifteen minutes early to be able to make it. As things were more than quiet when I asked, it looked likely that I would be able to leave. My plans were almost foiled by a stat case of constipation at four in the morning, but someone had enough sense to realize that this was not enough of a reason to transfer a patient to ICU.

In deference to the morning race, I drank a little more water than usual, laid off the Girl Scout cookies in the break room, and ate breakfast at 0500 instead of my usual 0600. Breakfast consisted of grits, a Clif bar, and an apple.

Sooner than really necessary, my co-workers sent me out the door and I biked the ten miles to the registration.
Event warmup:

After registering, I had an hour before the race start. I spent a few minutes waling around the registration area, but that wasn't very stimulating and I'd been awake all night. Being that I was at an excellent venue for biking, I ended up riding about eight miles to keep myself moving and awake before coming back to the race start and stretching. While I was stretching, I was greeted by a very impatient dog with a more excited boy and an apologetic mother. She had chosen this race because the website welcomed dogs and boy wanted dog to run with them. It was boy's longest run ever.
Run
  • 27m 18s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

At 0830, the listed start time, the Mayor was given the podium to make a few comments. Then, partly to give the Mayor time to get to the starting line, the head of SOME (So Others Might Eat) spoke for a few minutes thanking us for coming out and the sponsors for their support. Then without warning, the race started. No effort was made to line people up by run times, nor to even get people to the starting line, so there was a little confusion as people just started to run. There were obviously a few walkers who didn't mean to be up with the runners and some rather meekly cut off to the side and waited. Others just tried to stay out of the way and by about the half-mile mark we were fairly well sorted.

Each kilometer was marked and even though I couldn't see the markers due to the crowd, I heard someone call it out as we passed. The volunteers were handing out water at the turnaround point. Most people, including me, passed on the water, so there were few cups to worry about slipping on.

There were no spectators to speak of, but on the way back, the walkers, especially the kids, cheered making up for the lack.

I paced myself well and my splits reflect that. At about 2.5 miles, I knew, physically and mentally, that I'd gone father than the standard 2 mile APFT, but I keep up the pace until the finish.
Post race
Warm down:

A volunteer handed me a bottle of water which I drank as I headed for my bike. I then leisurely pedaled the 4 miles home, took a shower and fell into bed.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No preparation, working the night prior, biking several miles to stay awake before the race, and a crowded race field.

Event comments:

This was a local, low key, charity race. It wasn't chip timed, and I was told at registration that times didn't always get recorded by volunteers, so if I wanted to know my time, I should remember it. I got the feeling that these were the same volunteers who serve meals for SOME on a daily basis. Everyone that I encountered was relaxed and there to enjoy the day.

Last updated: 2007-11-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:27:18 | 03.11 miles | 08m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Mile 1 - 9:10 Mile 2 - 17:56 (8:46) Mile 3 - 26:33 (8:37) Finish - 27:18
Course: Out and back course on Ohio drive.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes