Hastings Family Service
25F / -4C
Overcast
Total Time = 51m 30s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up about an hour before the race, had some toast with peanut butter, and threw on my running clothes. We picked up our shirts and race numbers the night before, so we basically just had to drive to the race site and wait for the start.
Event warmup:

We walked fairly briskly to the start from the car, but other than that, not much of a warm up. It's a really informal race, so we were just all hanging out waiting for the huge mob of runners to start moving.
Run
  • 51m 30s
  • 4.97 miles
  • 10m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

All the 2k runners and 8k runners started together, so it was me and my husband doing the 8k, and my 10 year old daughter doing the 2k. Everyone ran the same course for the first mile, and then the 2k runners split off to the finish. So, the first mile was a little slow (even for me) since it was very crowded (we were actually walking at about 13:30 pace at first until things got moving) and I was trying to make sure my daughter was going to get to the finish line (and back to her older sister) without any problem.

Then, that stupid second mile is almost all uphill. According to the Garmin, the long uphill is 0.85 mile. Ick. But, we made it to the top and kept on our way. There were some rolling hills the rest of the way, and we started passing a lot of people who were walking. We just took the slow-but-steady approach and it worked pretty well.
What would you do differently?:

If I wasn't running with my daughter, I might have been more agressive at the start, but it's such a low key event that it didn't matter a whole lot.
Post race
Warm down:

We walked around a bit and I stretched a little while waiting in the water line. Unfortunately they still have the same set up for water as last year, and it's just soooo sloooow. I rolled the IT band for a bit when I got home, but that was later on, of course.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Still a lack of experience at anything in the 5-6 mile range, but it's getting better.

Event comments:

This was a good way to start the day. I bettered my time from last year by about 40 seconds, so that is good. I was surprised by that, actually, because my knees have been so bad lately. There are no official results or age groups ranks for this race, and it's a very family-friendly event. We'll definitely do it again, and my goal for next time will be to get under 50 minutes.

Last updated: 2007-11-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:51:30 | 04.97 miles | 10m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
AHR: 174 Lap 1: 11:25 Lap 2: 10:41 Lap 3: 10:29 Lap 4: 10:06 Lap 5 (0.9 mile): 8:49
Course: Short loop in downtown Hastings, then a long loop out of downtown and back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-11-22 8:20 PM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: Gobble Gait

2007-11-28 8:12 AM
in reply to: #1065475

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Gobble Gait

Very nicely done and a good time considering the slow start. Local, laid back races are an awful lot of fun. Hope your daughter enjoyed herself!

Anthony 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Gobble Gait Rss Feed