General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimmer's shoulder Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-11-25 6:57 AM

User image

Rockton, IL
Subject: Swimmer's shoulder
Interesting article on this site about swimmer's shoulder. The article says that improper hand position during swim (thumb pointing down and palm facing away during entry into water) can lead to shoulder issues.

What is the recommend position for the hand when entering the water?

2007-11-25 8:34 AM
in reply to: #1066985

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
Subject: RE: Swimmer's shoulder

The hand should enter the water with the thumb and index finger first with just a slight angle directly in line with the shoulder and then extend forward to begin the catch.

Shoulder strain can come from "crossing over" with the hands during entry. The hands should not enter the area between the shoulders at any point, this is "no hands land". It can also occur from not rotating enough especially when breathing.

I hope this helps. I've had my share of shoulder tendonitis in 35 yrs of swimming. Ice, Advil and rest are your friends. 

2007-11-25 11:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fridley, MN, USA
Every coach I've ever had (two of which coached for the University of Minnesota's swim team) have always tought me to enter the water with the middle finger first - the idea is to keep your hand flat on the entry and to prevent it from bending outward at the wrist. This is supposed to give you a slight "lift" as you stroke.
2007-11-25 11:25 PM

Los Angeles, CA
I was getting terrible stiffness and pain in my left shoulder from breathing all the time on the right. I was swimming about 1000 yards at a time, and afterward I couldn't turn my head toward the left. I spent a week slowly learning how to breathe on the left side, and as soon as I was able to swim one length (about 25 strokes) breathing left and the other right, I got no pain at all, and now my per 100 average time has dropped as well. For me it was all about the bilateral breathing.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Swimmer's shoulder Rss Feed