Iraq
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I haven't run since a speed session on Tuesday. I did bike Wednesday but did NOTHING Thursday, Friday, or Saturday.

Up at 0445, take a supplement and drink some water. Knock on P's door at 0500, get things "moving." Rallied with P and left out at 0535
Event warmup:

Light trot up to the track; about .75 miles @ 8:30 or so. Continued rotation, stretching and kibbutzing for the 10 minutes or so before the start.
Run
  • 20m 40s
  • 2.95 miles
  • 07m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

This run felt good but not fast. I didn't go out as fast as I did two weeks ago. Instead, I tried to get into my race pace and stay there. Everytime I glanced at my watch, I was pleased with my pace even though it seemed that I was always over 7:00/mi. I would my RPE at about a 15 or so; I was holding just under the "pain" setting.

I was feeling so good and holding such a constant pace that I was resolved to enjoy a "strategic victory." That is, I thought for sure that I was NOT going to set a PR for this distance. I continued to slug on and increast the RPE during the third mile.

I was completely surprised when my Garmin showed that I had PR'ed by 7 seconds, averaging 7:00/mi on the nose. It was a great feeling...even let out a "yawp" at the finish line.

(P.S. I still owe a picture to this report of our race attire. It certainly wasn't regulation but it got much a-PRE-ciation!)
What would you do differently?:

Not feel guilty about not running for three days. That was a key part of my acceptance of a strategic victory. I was sure there was no way for me to PR with the way that I had eaten and not done anything over the Thanksgiving holiday. In this case, rest seemed to be the right thing to do.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking around, kibbutzing, photo ops etc. P and I walked back to our hooches. No running or jogging to speak of.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

More training and more time. Less weight.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-11-25 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:40 | 02.95 miles | 07m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
No lap splits; forgot to set my Garmin to take mile times. However, my pace graph is a straight line between 6:40 and 7:20. Battery in my HRM is going out so HR data is unreliable.
Course: Usual LSAA "5k" course, which is almost a quarter mile short. :)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-11-25 7:20 AM

User image

Expert
White House, TN
Subject: Native American Heritage 5k

2007-11-25 4:07 PM
in reply to: #1066989

Master
Houston
Subject: RE: Native American Heritage 5k
Nice effort today! 
2007-11-25 6:20 PM
in reply to: #1066989

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Subject: RE: Native American Heritage 5k
Nice job! Congratulations on a good run.

Kristen
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Native American Heritage 5k Rss Feed