70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 34m 35s
Overall Rank = 17221/35513
Age Group = M 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1828/
Pre-race routine:

Wednesday of Race Week - Massage and adjustment

Eve before Race - picked up bib etc. at expo and went to my sisters' place in Hoboken. Had dinner and went to bed. She was so gracious and gave up her bed so I didn't have to sleep on the couch. ( Thanks Mary Lousie)

Event warmup:

Race Day - up @ 4:45 after 6 hours of sleep. Within minutes of waking, I realize I have a minor cramp in my right calf. Not a good sign. I massage it to no avail.

Morning meal consists of 16 oz. coffee, english muffin w/ peanut butter and honey, and a banana smoothie.

Gathered all my gear and was out the door. Walked 6 blocks to the PATH station and took the subway into NYC. Realized that I wasn't going to make it to the bus in time so took a cab to the bus instead of another subway. The 2 runners that I shared the cab with wouldn't even let me pay, which was nice. Waited in line for about a 1/2 hour and finally got on the bus. Chatted with a bunch of other runners. Can't believe how many international people come over for this. After about a 25 minute bus ride, we are dropped off at Fort Wadsworth in Staten Island at the base of the Veranzano. WOW, look at all the people. And they are all running ? incredible! ....make my way ino the staging area which is grouped by colors. Head straight for the bathroom line. That only takes like 35 minutes. As I am waiting in line, I realize that it is much hotter than I thought it would be. Not a good sign. I make my way over to the bag drop and get all my race gear on and drop off the bag. After that, I realize its much later than I thought it was. Not that I actually saw an area to warm up, but I was hoping to be able to at least get some blood flowing to the legs. Had to pee again. Oh well, I make my way to the start and after 5 minutes of standing still, the line starts to move. Right out of the staging area and to the base of the Bridge. Wow, were the hell did all these spectators come from ? And there are like 7 helicopters flying over head. The national anthem is sung and we are finally on our way.
Run
  • 4h 34m 35s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 10m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I was really worried about the long day that lays ahead of me. Having a cramp before the race starts is not good, nor is the heat that feels like its right on top of you. Despite the 35,000 runners being split up on 3 different courses for the start, it is still very crowded. Just go with the flow. Up the bridge we went. Not even a 1/2 mile in and the guy in front of me fell and I tripped right over him and 2 more on top of me. For a second, I thought I was going to be trampled. So I got up and my knee (of course, it was my bad one) is really sore. There really wasn't a whole lot I could do, so I continued on.

the crowds were huge in brooklyn, like nothing I had seen before, and very inspiring. Around mile 3, I developed a blister on the bottom of my left foot and I had to pee again. After that, I seemed to get into a nice pace and my splits were pretty even.

Queens wasn't as much fun. not as flat and it was getting warmer ...or maybe My body was getting warmer ...as I ran up the Queensboro bridge and into Manhattan, I was at the 1/2 way point and despite how bad things seemd, I was still running under a 9 minute pace. My leg cramp actually subsided for about 2 miles and I rejoiced but it came back with a vengenance. It was at this point that I was really frustrated. I had my cell phone on me and got additional bad news....the Eagles are down 14-0 to Pittsburgh....just what I needed to hear ...from that point on, my pace was dictated by the cramps that played hide and seek with me ...as they went away, i went quicker and when they came back i slowed down and was reduced to walking at various times ....I had family waiting for me @ mile 17 and I was so happy to see them. I changed shirts and exchanged my empty bottles for additional fuel ...somewhere around mile 19, I found myself walking and I seemed to be in some sort of trance ..I was totally ought of it and my mind was wandering ...there was a pipe band on the willis avenue bridge and they were in between sets so I asked them to play " Flower of Scotland" and they did and I stood there and sang along and 3 other Scots joined me ...mile 21 brought us into the bronx for 1 mile and the spectators up there were very entertaining ...the last bridge brought us back into Manhattan and as I jogged down the Madison bridge, I could see the biggest and loudest crowds and they were awesome ...there was huge speakers blaring music and I even stopped with anohter runner and danced to a Micheal Jackson " Don't stop till you get enough" song for about 45 seconds ...this is what makes NYC like no other ....the final few miles into Central Park were uneventful ...my family/friends had re-assembled at the mile 24 marker and I stopped for a minute to chat with them before heading downhill for the last 2 miles ....this is when it all sunk in and all the pain / cramps etc had disappeared due to my excitement ....I did it and I bought my hands up in the air and crossed @ 4:34:35
What would you do differently?:

Not exactly sure. I have been reviewing this for a few days now. In talking to my unofficial nutrition guru, I may have had an elctrolyte imbalance from when I woke up and in trying to hydrate myself, may have hyperhydrated and in turn had to urinate several times before the race causing me to be at an even bigger elctrolyte deficit.
Post race
Warm down:

Hmm, the warm down was pretty funny. As I crossed the line and stopped, I immediately began throwing up. 3 times before a medic came over and made me start walking. That lasted all of 15 feet before I threw up 2 more times. Another medic joined her and they proceeded to ask me questions. She asked me if I knew where I was and what my name was. I told her we were somewhere in Central Park and my name was on my bib if she really wanted to know. ( what a smartass I am)

She explained to me the following : ( which makes sense) During the marathon, blood has been redirected to your legs, away from your internal organs. This is normal physiology that you should know about. You must continue to walk for at least 20 minutes after finishing a marathon. If you stop, sit or lie down, the blood flow will not be rapidly redirected to the pre-marathon state. You could then feel nauseous and throw up b/c of not enough blood flow tot he stomach, as well as feel very dizzy and weak. Walking helps to redirect your blood and bring you back to your everyday physiology.

So after 5 sessions, I started to feel better. Then I got my medal and as the volunteer was putting it around my neck, I threw up on the medic. ( It was only liquid) At this point they told me to come witht hem to the medical tent for an IV, but I refused and was on my way.

After the race, you have a really LONG walk to the bag pick up. It started with # 1 and my truck was #65 so I walked in a really long slow line up to get my bag. On the one side were the trucks and on the other was racers who had just picked up there bags. They were getting changed. This was very nice. With it being NYC, I guess people really didn't care and just bared it all. The 4 or 5 women that I saw in various states of undress, really didn't seem to care that they were naked in front of lots of strangers. It definately made a long walk that much more fun!

After the bag pick up, I had a Carbboom recovery gel and 1 serving of Endurox R4. Then I met up w/ my crew and went out for a bite to eat and ended the evening with Hanfy and friends at the Dive Bar.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cramps, sore knee,blister, light headedness.

These aren't excuses but rather a reminder for me for future races.

Event comments:

Where do I start. If you made it this far, thanks for reading. Since I don't have any sponsors, I guess I should just thanks all my friends, family, running partners, etc. who helped me out along the way. Special thanks goes out to Susan, Kathryn Ann, Mary Louise, Hanfy, Philly Runners, Team T3, BT'ers and Brian@PBN.

This was a very humbling experience and had it not been for all the support I had along the way or the huge NYC crowds, I could have easliy had a DNS or DNF.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2004-11-09 12:00 AM
Running
04:34:35 | 26.2 miles | 10m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/35513
Performance: Bad
HR Avg - 178 Splits Mile 1. 9:49 (9:49) Mile 2. 17:40 (7:51) Mile 3. 25:40 (8:00) 5K. 26.37 Mile 4. 34:35 (8:55) Mile 5. 42:45 (8:10) Mile 6. 51:05 (8:15) 10K. 53:26 Mile 7. 59:15 (8:10) Mile 8. 1:07:56 (8:41) Mile 9. 1:17:08 (9:12) Mile 10. 1:26:11 (9:03) Mile 11. 1:34:37 (8:26) Mile 12. 1:45:12 (10:35) Mile 13. 1:54:49 (9:37) Half Way 1:56:21 Mile 14. 2:03:03 (8:14) Mile 15. 2:16:22 (13:19) Mile 16. 2:27:32 (11:10) Mile 17. 2:38:54 (11:22) Mile 18. 2:50:52 (11:58) Mile 19. 3:03:27 (12:35) Mile 20. 3:16:52 (13:25) Mile 21. 3:30:51 (13:29) Mile 22. 3:45:06 (14:15) Mile 23. 3:59:06 (14:00) Mile 24. 4:12:24 (13:18) Mile 25. 4:22:08 (9:44) Mile 26. 4:32:40 (10:32) Finish 4:34:35 Pace: 5K- 8:35 10K - 8:37 Half - 8:53 Finish - 10:29
Course: The first New York City Marathon, in 1970, was four-plus laps of Central Park. In 1976, in celebration of the U.S. bicentennial, NYRR moved the marathon to the streets of New York's five boroughs: Staten Island, Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx, and Manhattan. The course united dozens of culturally and ethnically diverse neighborhoods, passing over bridges, dodging a few potholes, and finishing up at Tavern on the Green in world-famous Central Park. Twenty-eight years later, the course continues to challenge thousands of athletes every year, and has become a model for big-city marathon courses around the world. We started @ Ft. Wadsworth in Staten Island and immediately went right over the Veranzano Narrows Bridge and into in Brooklyn. The Pulaski Bridge at the half way point takes you into Queens. 3 miles later and another bridge, the Queensboro which takes you into Manhattan for the 1st time. Along 1st Ave for about 4 miles and over the Willis Avenue Bridge and into DA BRONX. Another mile and another Bridge,this time Madison Avenue and back into Manahattan for the final stretch into Central Park
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 1

{postbutton}
2004-11-11 1:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Philadelphia, PA
Subject: 2004 ING NYC Marathon

2004-11-11 5:59 PM
in reply to: #81816

Online or Offline
Subject: RE: 2004 ING NYC Marathon

WOW! What a wonderful account of your marathon! BUT YOU FINISHED and worked it like a trooper! Great job, my hat's off to you!

Talk about Murphy's Law. Great story! Great race! I'd be happy to make that time on a good day if I ever do a full marathon!

2004-11-11 6:47 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-11-11 7:22 PM

Veteran
Florida!
i was wondering where you race report was, i know you did it... congrats on finishing, it was a hard race and finishing it in the face of how you felt going into it should make it even more special than any PR.
2004-11-11 8:44 PM

Expert
acton, Ma
Hey Great Job!  Great attitude. 
2004-11-11 8:57 PM

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Congratulations on the excellent finish! Very impressive, especially with the trip/fall/crush, the cramps, the blister right off the bat, etc. Way to hang in there and finish with a great total time to boot too!

-Frank

Edited by scuba-punk 2004-11-11 8:57 PM

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2004 ING NYC Marathon Rss Feed