General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting to IM FL, particularly from MI Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-11-26 12:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ontario
Subject: Getting to IM FL, particularly from MI

I have little experience traveling with a bike so I'm looking for advice on the best way to get to IM FL 2008 with my bike from the Detroit area. I see that US Airways has a link on the IM FL website advertising free bike transport if you book through the IM website. It looks like flying US Airways would mean Detroit-Charlotte-Tallahassee or Pensacola and then renting a car. Does anyone have any experience doing this with US Airways?

Some triathletes prefer to ship their bikes by courier. Does anyone have experience doing this with IM FL? It sounds like the host hotel will accept bike shipments, but I was thinking about a condo down the road. Is there a bike shop in PCB that accepts bike shipments and reassembles the bikes? I wonder if the courier office would just hold onto the bike in PCB until you come and get it? Anyone with experience on the cost comparison of courier vs take it with you on the plane? There is also air vs ground courier options.

NWA has some inexpensive flights Detroit-Memphis-PCB. Anyone know what NWA's charge is for a bike box, or acceptable weight/dimensions? Is there a shuttle or something that runs from the airport to area hotels/condos, or are we stuck renting a car/van that will fit a bike box? Anyone with opinions on the more bike-friendly airlines?

I'm actually traveling from Canada but I'm assuming that it will simplify things greatly if I drive my bike box to Detroit and either drop it off with a courier or take it with me on the plane.

I don't know if it is feasible, but it would be great if there was someone from the Detroit area who wanted to drive to the race. Those of us in the area who wanted to fly (I have 2 young children that I'm not going to drive 24 hours with) could pay for a van rental and we could put all the bikes in the van.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Dave

2007-11-26 12:53 PM
in reply to: #1068410

User image

Expert
Newton, MA
Subject: RE: Getting to IM FL, particularly from MI
What about riding it down? Good training.
2007-11-26 1:06 PM

User image

Champion
Nashville, TN
Personally, I would use tri bike transport (though I am not a fan).  It sounds like you are going to go through a number a connections just to make it there and that would make me really nervous.  With tri bike, you drop it off about 2 weeks in advance and it is there when you arrive...simple as that. 
2007-11-26 1:17 PM

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, MI
I just flew down with my bike from Detroit via NWA for Clearwater, and they charged me $80 both ways. It cost me more to fly my bike down there than for myself. If I were to do it again, I would ship my bike, because if you get it in a small enough box, it's about $35 each way. Or, like some one suggested, try tribiketransport. Flying was quite a pain on my wallet, but no problems with my bike arriving.
2007-11-26 1:19 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO

I've used Tri Bike Transport twice to get to IM Florida.  It cost a little more than my plane ticket, but it was well worth it both times.  It's especially nice for dropping off the bike after the race.  Both times I've been there on my own and REALLY appreciated handing my bike off and not having to hassle with it on the trip home.  Of course, I was more concerned about having the bike ready before the race, and not having to try to put it together in my condo.  Since they ship the bike assembled, standing up in a truck, there is no issue with getting your adjustments correct again while you're trying to calm down before the race.  I don't know who their competitors are, but the concept is definately the way to go when you're flying to an IM.

2007-11-26 2:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ontario

Thanks for suggesting TriBikeTransport. I checked their website and it certainly is an interesting option. The charge of $225 plus $25 for a bag seems a little high at first, but when you add up the costs of disasembling/shipping/assembling a bike and transporting it around in PCB it is attractive and a lot simpler. Also the drop off bike shop is Bikesport in Dearborn, who I usually deal with anyway.

Dave

Edited by DaveH 2007-11-26 2:10 PM

2007-11-27 9:23 AM

User image

Westminster, CO

I flew Delta out of Denver via Memphis for this past IMFL. On the way out I chose to fly with my bike ($80 charge for the bike - I had wheels in a second box that I didn't get charged for - even though I had exceeded the number of allowed checked bags).  This worked out well as I didn't have to move around bike workouts the week leading up to the race.

returning: I shipped my bike UPS (~$45), while still taking the wheels on the flight with me to save a few bucks.

This worked out well for me.  I thought it would be a pain packing my bike up for this first time - took less than 1/2 hour.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Getting to IM FL, particularly from MI Rss Feed