General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Water bottles Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-02-04 1:51 PM

Subject: Water bottles
Hi, I am new to the tri world and need to get the right equipment. What style hydration set-up is best for the running portion, and what brands? Thanks!

2004-02-04 1:54 PM
in reply to: #6009

User image

Veteran
St. Catharines, Ontario
Subject: RE: Water bottles
I just take the cups that the race support hands me. Sometimes when I train I'll carry a water bottle in my hand. On really hot humid days when I'm running 20 miles I'll sometimes wear my camel back that I bought for mountain biking.
2004-02-04 2:26 PM

User image

Master
Berkeley, CA
Look at the race map. They normally show where the water stops will be. If it is only (only!) a 10k run, I'd advise using them if they occur frequently enough for you. If not, take a look at the Fuel Belt at www.fuelbelt.com

I used one during a marathon and it was very helpful, because I wanted to put my own sports drink in it, then I used water on the course for the Gu (gel pack) that I was consuming.

It was very comfortable.

Dana
2004-02-04 4:47 PM

Expert
NC Illinois
Hydration for the run takes place on the bike. I would guess that most of the water taken in during the actual run leg is to moisten to mouth and clear away spit for easier breathing. It's not likely that the water is consumed, absorbed, and distributed in the amount of time it takes to complete the run leg.

Beer doesn't even run through me that fast *wink*.
2004-02-04 6:52 PM

thanks for the ideas so far, I am actually more concerned with training at this point (long runs 10+ miles). THanks again!
2004-02-04 6:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Drink a lot before you go and have a drink ready for when you get back. I also know where there are a few drinking fountains on my route. Camel backs work for long runs or I have heard of people hiding water bottles on their route, so they don't have to carry anything. I don't like to plan that far ahead.

2004-02-04 6:58 PM
in reply to: #6018

, Alabama

I am more used to distance events, and I trained myself to have a small sip every 3 minutes in training or a race (I can't really take huge amounts at once) so no matter what distance I train with (even < 30 minutes) I have a bottle with me so my body stays used to that.  In a 5K race I just use whatever they have at the stops.  I use a bottle holder belt (looks almost like a cross between a fanny pack and a gun holster) so I don't have to hold the bottle the whole time.  In larger races I take advantage of what they have at the water stops with what's in my own bottle.  I just did a marathon and they had plenty of drink stops, so one 24-oz bottle that I carried kept me for almost the whole thing.

Sharon

2004-02-04 9:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
Welcome!

For the running portion- it really just depends on the distance triathlon you're planning for. Generally, I don't take along a water bottle if it is 5k or 10k [as the race sponsors usually have a good amount of water/gatoraid tables along the way].

I have found that taking along a water bottle for these distances are more of a hassle than they are worth. Especially since the majority of these races do have set hydration points.

lots of luck!
2004-02-04 9:45 PM

User image

Veteran
Illinois
whoops- sorry I should have read through all the replies before i responded. I wouldn't know about distances beyond 10 miles. best of luck still!
2004-02-05 1:18 AM

User image

Central Louisiana

If you are looking for hydration ideas for the run, look at fuel belts products!

2004-02-05 9:19 AM

User image

Regular
Boston, MA
I would have to agree with Michael. The fuel belt product seems to be the best option. It contains a couple small bottles spread out along the waist so as to transfer the weight evenly. This is much better than one big bottle that causes a balance issue. Plus the belt has an add on pouch (medium size) that allows you to store a gel for those 10+ mile days. Although I currently do not own one, I have researched the product pretty intensively. Hopefully my thoughfull and supportive grilfriend will get me one for my birthday next week. I will let you know what I think of it if this thread is still open.

2004-02-05 3:09 PM

toronto
I also agree, ive been using a fuel belt for about 5 months now and its great, the only problem I have had with it is returning the bottle back into the belt, it can be tricky sometime, overall a great choice
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Water bottles Rss Feed