Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-12-05 4:35 PM
in reply to: #1071236

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA
Subject: RE: 2008 Tri The Park Schedule

I personally am glad that Ft. Yargo is gone.  I never did have a good race there and am not fond of running on such rough terrain.  A little bit is ok, but it was mostly rough terrain at Ft. Yargo.  I still have fond memories of it since it was my first *blush*.

I will miss High Falls.  I loved doing that once since it was so close to home.  Some of the others are such a distance from Atlanta that we just can't do them without the full, get a hotel room and such.  Our lives are just too hectic for that. 

Peachtree City now has a international distance, though it is early in the season (May).  I did it last year and it was a great event. I anticipate that it will become big like the sprint.  I think there was 800 people in the sprint last year. 

Kelly

2007-12-06 7:51 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

When officiating, you have to work with the Race Director leading up to the event to make sure certain "check point items" are taken care of, things are coordinated (such as motorcycles, transition area, etc.).  This allows you to see the race from a totally different perspective.

I have officiated a number of races around the area and can tell you that Chuck + family put on one helluva race - and that we are lucky to have them lead the Tri-the-Parks series.  His races are extremely well thought out and organized.  When the inevitable problem springs up, he is quick on his feet to respond after thinking through the solution.

I know that everyone "does the math" when signing up for a race (race day fees x # of participants) and that some think the RD's are raking in gobs of money - but from my limited knowledge of race day economics, I just don't see it ... there are just so many expenses associated with putting on a quality program.

Add in Jim @ Georgia Multisports and Kim @ Peachtree Tri Club and we have a bevy of well done races to choose from.

Lastly, I do not see the three of them competing with each so much as the three of them keeping up the increasing demand for race slots.

2007-12-06 10:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta
I love this race series. I too remember the 'old' days (not even long ago) when Fort Yargo was a normal format tri and the bike went outside the park. I loved that race.

Does anyone remember Ga's oldest triathlon that used to be held there? I think it was called the Powerfull Peach. I think it ended it's run at the park in 2001 maybe?

Kevin
2007-12-06 10:39 AM
in reply to: #1086258

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

runatlanta - 2007-12-06 11:26 AM I love this race series. I too remember the 'old' days (not even long ago) when Fort Yargo was a normal format tri and the bike went outside the park. I loved that race. Does anyone remember Ga's oldest triathlon that used to be held there? I think it was called the Powerfull Peach. I think it ended it's run at the park in 2001 maybe? Kevin

Thought the oldest triathlon was the sprint at Callaway Gardens? 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » 2008 Tri The Park Schedule Rss Feed  

of 2