General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What I learend at my "first" swim coaching session ..... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2007-11-28 2:57 PM
in reply to: #1071894

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2007-11-28 4:10 PM
in reply to: #1072273

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
Subject: RE: What I learend at my "first" swim coaching session .....

bryancd - 2007-11-28 11:22 AM See, now it's the opposite with me. I always find that the fewer times I breath while still being comfortable, the longer my glide can progress, thus lowering my stroke count. If I am really going easy and looking for the lowest number, I'll breathe every 5 or 6, but that's only if I am going for 12-13. For Swim Golf, being a combination of staoke count and time, I found 3x alternate the best.

I'm curious, are you maintaining about the same speed at 12-13 stroke count with fewer breaths, and are you doing that over a good distance?  I find that I hit a an oxygen deficit if I try to maintain low stroke count, same speed and less breathing on anything over a couple hundred yards.  Before long, something starts to give.

2007-11-28 4:29 PM

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs
Congrats on your swim, hope to see some great swim times from you next year! Maybe a few podium finishes????

I did my first coached session (since I was 15) last night as well. I had similar feedback from my coach. I cross over my centerline and my stroke count is 17-18 per 25yds. The things I will be working on are not crossing my centerline, and increasing my body rotation, thus helping to reduce my stroke count and increasing my glide time. She recommended taking a pause just before you begin to pull the water during your catch. Unfortunately, I still have a hard time bilateral breathing and sighting, so those are also on my "get better" list.

2007-11-28 4:52 PM
in reply to: #1072636

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
SevenZulu - 2007-11-28 4:10 PM

bryancd - 2007-11-28 11:22 AM See, now it's the opposite with me. I always find that the fewer times I breath while still being comfortable, the longer my glide can progress, thus lowering my stroke count. If I am really going easy and looking for the lowest number, I'll breathe every 5 or 6, but that's only if I am going for 12-13. For Swim Golf, being a combination of staoke count and time, I found 3x alternate the best.

I'm curious, are you maintaining about the same speed at 12-13 stroke count with fewer breaths, and are you doing that over a good distance?  I find that I hit a an oxygen deficit if I try to maintain low stroke count, same speed and less breathing on anything over a couple hundred yards.  Before long, something starts to give.

No, to manage 12-13 is very slow with an exaggerated glide and as little breathing as possible. It's drill I do for one 25 yard lap with a stop and brief rest in between. A more average 15-16 count if my easy to moderate training pace where, like Fred, I swim 1:25-1:30 per 100 yards.
2007-11-28 4:54 PM
in reply to: #1072412

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Daremo - 2007-11-28 2:36 PM

Virtus - 2007-11-28 3:13 PM I’m not sure what I’m supposed to do with my arm wants it enters the water. If a let it pull in what I think of as straight down toward the bottom of the pool and then back along my thigh it feels pretty relaxed and feels like it does not cross my body like you mention. However I thought I read somewhere my arm shouldn’t be straight but keep my elbow bent. When I do this the pull? Not sure if that is the right term, it comes across my chest. Doesn’t feel as good or as relaxed. Sounds like I may have it backwards, and have been thinking the wrong way (wouldn’t be the first time). sorry for the long post.

I'm really not the right person to answer this as there are plenty of fish on here, but from what I've read and heard here, think about it as "climbing a ladder" where you extend one arm in front of you and then pull yourself linearly up.  This keeps the arms always in line and not crossing your body.  For me and my mind the concept works except when you throw in the "body roll" that all good swimmers talk about.  At that point the idea gets a little wacky and awkward sounding to me. ;-P

The other way to visualize it is imagine your are hugging a barrel. This keeps your elbows high and your pull tracks out to the side of you body rather than crossing underneath and across your center line.
2007-11-28 5:32 PM
in reply to: #1072725

Jax, Florida
bryancd - 2007-11-28 5:54 PM

Virtus - 2007-11-28 3:13 PM I’m not sure what I’m supposed to do with my arm wants it enters the water. If a let it pull in what I think of as straight down toward the bottom of the pool and then back along my thigh it feels pretty relaxed and feels like it does not cross my body like you mention. However I thought I read somewhere my arm shouldn’t be straight but keep my elbow bent. When I do this the pull? Not sure if that is the right term, it comes across my chest. Doesn’t feel as good or as relaxed. Sounds like I may have it backwards, and have been thinking the wrong way (wouldn’t be the first time). sorry for the long post.

I'm really not the right person to answer this as there are plenty of fish on here, but from what I've read and heard here, think about it as "climbing a ladder" where you extend one arm in front of you and then pull yourself linearly up.  This keeps the arms always in line and not crossing your body.  For me and my mind the concept works except when you throw in the "body roll" that all good swimmers talk about.  At that point the idea gets a little wacky and awkward sounding to me. ;-P

The other way to visualize it is imagine your are hugging a barrel. This keeps your elbows high and your pull tracks out to the side of you body rather than crossing underneath and across your center line.
aghh, maybe I get it now. You mean the barrel is verticle. I had heard the barrel term before but for some reason though of it as horizontal and I was to swim over it.
Thanks - of to the pool to see how it goes.

2007-11-28 5:34 PM

Veteran
Pasadena, Maryland
Thanks for sharing
2007-11-28 5:38 PM
in reply to: #1072474

Jax, Florida
PennState - 2007-11-28 3:57 PM

The body roll you speak of is really a huge key to swimming. It allows you to generate more power from your 'core' instead of your weaker shoulder muscles. It is a tough concept to understand, but it is absolutely essential to swimming. My arms/shoulders never get tired, as I don't really use them much... I use the core muscles on the roll to 'swim over my 'water hold'.

TI swimming is not perfect and I really don't follow it as much as I used to, but Virtus, if you are interested check out Total immersion Freestyle swimming made easy. ... jst chaeck out his website:

http://www.totalimmersion.net/

Thanks Fred, for some reason I can't get the website to work right now. I'll check agian later tonight. Spent some time looking through the book the other night at the store. understood some of the gliding and zipper drills but that is about as far as I made it.
2007-11-28 5:48 PM
in reply to: #1072801

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Virtus - 2007-11-28 5:32 PM

bryancd - 2007-11-28 5:54 PM

aghh, maybe I get it now. You mean the barrel is verticle. I had heard the barrel term before but for some reason though of it as horizontal and I was to swim over it.
Thanks - of to the pool to see how it goes.

Well, no, the barrel IS horizontal and imagine you are laying on it and hugging it around the sides. You arms form a circle but your hands are spread far apart. It's a big barrel....they need love too....
2007-11-28 5:50 PM
in reply to: #1072808

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
Virtus - 2007-11-28 5:38 PM

PennState - 2007-11-28 3:57 PM

The body roll you speak of is really a huge key to swimming. It allows you to generate more power from your 'core' instead of your weaker shoulder muscles. It is a tough concept to understand, but it is absolutely essential to swimming. My arms/shoulders never get tired, as I don't really use them much... I use the core muscles on the roll to 'swim over my 'water hold'.

TI swimming is not perfect and I really don't follow it as much as I used to, but Virtus, if you are interested check out Total immersion Freestyle swimming made easy. ... jst chaeck out his website:

http://www.totalimmersion.net/

Thanks Fred, for some reason I can't get the website to work right now. I'll check agian later tonight. Spent some time looking through the book the other night at the store. understood some of the gliding and zipper drills but that is about as far as I made it.

To think about body roll, try starting with your shoulders. Try to roll the shoulder of the arm reaching forward down towards the bottom of the pool. The rest of your body will follow, including you hips, so now you are kind of gliding on your side as opposed to your chest. When you start your pull, your lats, which are big, powerful muscles, get into the act.
2007-11-28 5:58 PM

2007-11-28 6:07 PM
in reply to: #1072825

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
PennState - 2007-11-28 5:58 PM
****Remember though, the power all comes from the torso/chest and hips, not your arms or shoulders.

Lat's! Don't forget lat's!
2007-11-28 6:42 PM
in reply to: #1072833

Master
portland, or
Things are going to start getting confusing for people.

There's a couple of schools of thought around swimming. TI works well for getting people with no formal swim training comfortable, and at times quite proficient in the water. However, a lot of experienced/competitive swimmers have very different views on proper swim technique.

After spending a year doing the TI thing, I went to a clinic put on by Wendy Ingraham and Chris Hauth. They spent the next two days "de-programming" me.

After swimming 200 yards, their comments/questions were?

"why are you putting your hand in the water next to your head?" I thought I was supposed to. "That's insane! Stretch your arm out"

"Why are you pausing after each stroke?" I'm gliding. "No, you're pausing....arms should always be pulling water"

"Why are you swimming with your hand up near your body?" I'm pulling down my center line. "No, you aren't pulling crap. Get your hand and arm down in the friggin water."

"What are you doing with your hips?" I'm initiating my body roll. "Initiate your body roll with your shoulders! Your power comes from your lats, not your friggin hips."

They did tell me I had good balance, though.

2007-11-28 6:57 PM
in reply to: #1072884

Master
Sunny Southern Cal

yaqui - 2007-11-28 4:42 PM Things are going to start getting confusing for people. There's a couple of schools of thought around swimming. TI works well for getting people with no formal swim training comfortable, and at times quite proficient in the water. However, a lot of experienced/competitive swimmers have very different views on proper swim technique. After spending a year doing the TI thing, I went to a clinic put on by Wendy Ingraham and Chris Hauth. They spent the next two days "de-programming" me. After swimming 200 yards, their comments/questions were? "why are you putting your hand in the water next to your head?" I thought I was supposed to. "That's insane! Stretch your arm out" "Why are you pausing after each stroke?" I'm gliding. "No, you're pausing....arms should always be pulling water" "Why are you swimming with your hand up near your body?" I'm pulling down my center line. "No, you aren't pulling crap. Get your hand and arm down in the friggin water." "What are you doing with your hips?" I'm initiating my body roll. "Initiate your body roll with your shoulders! Your power comes from your lats, not your friggin hips." They did tell me I had good balance, though.

No kidding.  When I was swimming competitively as a real little guy and winning the 50 fly at state,  everyone told me that I had an unfair advantage because of the jet propulsion that I generated from my bowels.  Maybe I should put together a book -- like 'Total Propulsion' or something.  

2007-11-28 6:59 PM

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

For the record, she is not a TI person, just that some of the things she is recommending for me are along the same lines as the TI stuff (which in many cases are typical to all sorts of swim technique coaching).

I'm just excited to finally get some looks at my form.  I'll be bringing the wife's digital camcorder to the next session so she can video me and I can look at it myself (at the coach's suggestion).

My long range goal is to get down to the 1:10:00 range for the LP swim as that will at least keep me within sight of the top of the AG.  That's 10 minutes off of my FL time.  I'm dreading having to fight my way through everyone on the hills of the bike.  In smaller races where it is a climbing course it is downright scary and dangerous when you are 1-1/2 to 2 times faster of a climber than the average person in the field.  I want to avoid that as much as possible with 2,000+ other people!

Edited by Daremo 2007-11-28 7:01 PM
2007-11-28 7:17 PM
in reply to: #1072913

Master
portland, or
I didn't mean to imply that your coach was teaching "TI". Just that the follow up posts were starting to diverge into two camps of swimming philosophy.

There are those who firmly believe that body roll is initiated from the hips, which in turn generates the power (TI teaches this, but it's not a concept that's unique to that program); and those that feel the roll is initiated with the shoulders, and the power is derived from the lats.

Those of us that start swimming as adults will benefit greatly from a qualified coach, regardless of their "school of thought". Trying to interpret what's in a book/video, or on the internet, without getting the feedback that a coach can provide by watching you, can lead to bad habits in a hurry.

Of course if you get out of the water in 1:10, I'm going to have to get to 1:00 flat to keep my 10 minute cushion on you at Lake Placid.

scott

2007-11-28 7:36 PM

2007-11-28 7:58 PM

Elite
Denver, Colorado

yaqui - 2007-11-28 6:42 PM Things are going to start getting confusing for people. There's a couple of schools of thought around swimming. TI works well for getting people with no formal swim training comfortable, and at times quite proficient in the water. However, a lot of experienced/competitive swimmers have very different views on proper swim technique. After spending a year doing the TI thing, I went to a clinic put on by Wendy Ingraham and Chris Hauth. They spent the next two days "de-programming" me. After swimming 200 yards, their comments/questions were? "why are you putting your hand in the water next to your head?" I thought I was supposed to. "That's insane! Stretch your arm out" "Why are you pausing after each stroke?" I'm gliding. "No, you're pausing....arms should always be pulling water" "Why are you swimming with your hand up near your body?" I'm pulling down my center line. "No, you aren't pulling crap. Get your hand and arm down in the friggin water." "What are you doing with your hips?" I'm initiating my body roll. "Initiate your body roll with your shoulders! Your power comes from your lats, not your friggin hips." They did tell me I had good balance, though.

I agree completely. TI has some good, basic concepts in it that are common to all good swimming techniques. But I've found something that I like a little better. Keep in mind, though, that I am self-coached, and for all I know, my swimming stroke sucks hard.

Interesting point about focusing on pulling. That was my issue with TI. IMO, TI does a great job in teaching someone to be long in the water, but doesn't really focus on a powerful pull. That's great if you're tall, lean, and basically built like a streamlined sailing vessel. I'm built like a friggin' tugboat. I need to pull my a$$ through the water hard.

Rick - Thanks for posting. I also think that you're going to be super fast in the water once you get the technique down. And you'll do it all without any weight training!

2007-11-28 8:15 PM

Champion
New York, NY

I have to echo the well worth the time and investment with a swim coach - had my second session today - got to use fins (they rock wow you can go fast) and paddles - just by moving my arm position and the position my hand enters the water my stroke count went from 27 to 19 (I am 5'-5" in the first session - amazing!  I breathe every third (alternating sides) but until she put me through some drills was not fully blowing out....so much to think about! VERY different that when I swam on the team in high school (30 years ago.....Tongue out)

but sure glad I have been working my lats and core Cool (couldn't resist)

cat 

2007-11-28 8:39 PM

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
For the record and to clarify my comments, I am not a TI guy. I initiate the roll with my shoulders and when I am racing at pace, I do not exaggerate my glide. I think it's better to be pulling. However, i find the stroke count, long glide a great form drill I use often for overall body position. I'm a 60min flat wets suit IM swimmer, 64min without, so back of the FOP out of the water for what it's worth.

Edited by bryancd 2007-11-28 8:42 PM
2007-11-28 9:14 PM

Thanks, good stuff.

You did a great job writing it. I can "see" what you are saying.

2007-11-28 9:37 PM

2007-11-29 8:16 AM

Expert
Oh, for the love of god! Rick is starting to speak like a swimmer....this could be big trouble!

Glad to see you got a swim coach. A few session like the one you had can make a huge impact. Keep up the good work...
2007-11-29 8:42 AM
in reply to: #1073620

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
I can always talk the talk Mike .. but can I walk the water, errrr, swim the walk, oh screw it .....
2007-11-29 11:32 AM
in reply to: #1072942

Master
portland, or
>>"Question... who helped you more? TI or the Ingram/Hauth coaching?"

The clinic with Ingraham and Hauth. Getting direct feedback on what you're doing right and wrong, on the correct way to do a drill; the video analysis they did; and correlating the drills to the end result had a huge impact on my swimming. After following the TI process for over a year of consistent (3-4 x/week) swimming, my HIM swim time was 46 minutes. Two months after the Ingraham/Hauth clinic I swam a relatively effortless 1:13 at IMC.

I have nothing against TI. My personal experience was with the first edition of the book and video. I think they've been through two revisions since then, and I understand they are much improved. While it was successful in helping me get proper balance down, I never made the connection to swimming fast. The first edition put very little emphasis on the pull, and I think I misunderstood and/or misinterpreted some of the concepts.

I still today do a lot of the balance drills from TI in my off-season technique phase, and there are common drills between what I got out of TI and from Ingraham/Hauth. While drilling was a big part of the clinic and the take-away for how to improve, there was also a much bigger emphasis on incorporating aerobic paced swimming......lots of it, into our workouts. Some of the drills were common to TI, but they really emphasized the use of head-up swimming (dog paddle and water-polo) to really emphasize a high elbow and use of the lats to generate power.

I didn't mean to hijack Rick's thread into a TI vs. non-TI. I just wanted to illustrate the benefits of direct coaching with something as technique focused as swimming. Some people can read about swim technique and apply it, but many of us need that direct feedback that comes from an on-deck coach.

scott
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What I learend at my "first" swim coaching session ..... Rss Feed  

of 3