General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Training- What do you eat?? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-12-01 7:14 AM

Veteran
Newmarket, Suffolk
Subject: IM Training- What do you eat??
I'm doing IMAZ in April (my first), and just started my training plan.  I've been having some major issues trying to get my nutrition on.  I've done a few HIMs before and never really had any problems.  But I've noticed since I started my training that I really just can't manage to eat enough.  For those of you who are more experienced, how/what do you eat? Are you eating constantly, or trying to eat more meals, etc?

2007-12-01 7:18 AM
in reply to: #1078062

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Subject: RE: IM Training- What do you eat??

It's early and I easily confuse ... add to that the dearth of coffee and I am not certain whether you are talking about what to eat while actually training or what to eat during the period in which you are training?

Edited by brian 2007-12-01 7:18 AM
2007-12-01 7:28 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
I'm going to guess it's eating in general. I think the key is to eat often and at the right times in order to fuel your workouts properly. You can't go into a big bike or run session without being properly fueled and you need to make sure you eat after to replenish. Stick with lot's of whole foods and try and get in enough carbs during the day to keep you going.
2007-12-01 7:37 AM

Veteran
Newmarket, Suffolk
To clarify, yes, I was asking about eating in general. I'm just hungry and tired all the time, and haven't been managing to get in enough calories. I just can't quite figure out what to eat/when to eat to manage to take in the 4,000+ calories I need to eat/day. I've got my nutrition when I'm actually training down.  It's everything else that I can't quite get a handle on.  Hope this clarifies :-)

Edited by sel166 2007-12-01 7:38 AM
2007-12-01 7:43 AM

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
I wouldn't get too hung up on total calorie numbers, you just have to experiment with healthy foods you like but again, I stress, don't skimp on the carbohydrates. Get them in whole grain bread, bagels, cereal, fruit, veggies (fruit and veggies you need to eat a lot of to get enough energy), just make sure you are eating healthy whole foods as oppose to processed. If your workouts are in the pm, make sure your mornings are spent loading up. If you are an early morning person, try and get up and have something at least 60min before your session.
2007-12-01 8:01 AM

Champion

I'm on board with Bryan...eat smaller meals more often, and include plenty of fruits and veggies, make sandwiches with whole grain bread and tuna or chicken/turkey, lettuce, tomatoes.  Make sure you eat right after a training session (within 30 minutes), a good mix of carbs and protein.  If you're not doing that, maybe you're feeling run down from muscle breakdown from not refueling.

2007-12-01 11:06 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

I've just started training for IMLP and I would like to drop off a few pounds in the process.  I have found the smoothie recipes on this article well balanced and filling post workout and she gives a guideline as to which recipe to use based on the time of your work out.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1336

2007-12-01 1:19 PM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
I have the same problem. I have to eat constantly or I lose weight that I would rather not. At some point, you lose too much and get sick and tired constantly.

I would suggest you spend some time tracking your food. Try this free site: www.fitday.com You can track your calories in and out. It makes you think about what you are eating and when. It is a real pain to input everything for an extended period of time. If you do it for a month, you will get a fell for your needs.
2007-12-01 2:07 PM

User image

Veteran
Dacula, GA
...anything you want...

Loved it - ate everything in site during my training and STILL lost weight (though not as much as I should have with proper diet).

JG
2007-12-01 2:50 PM
in reply to: #1078081

New user

Michigan

bryancd - 2007-12-01 7:43 AM

If your workouts are in the pm, make sure your mornings are spent loading up. If you are an early morning person, try and get up and have something at least 60min before your session.

That light bulb finally lit for me a couple of weeks ago.  I began to wonder why shorter workouts on weekdays (MTWTF) were so grueling and difficult while my Sat/Sun workouts which are a lot longer but perceived easier.   I usually eat a really good breakfast on the weekend which is explains a lot.

I'm working to change that but finding it hard to eat first thing in the morning.

2007-12-01 3:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs, CO
I think a better question would be what don't you eat ???!!!!

2007-12-01 5:54 PM

User image

Master
South Florida
do you use some type of recovery product within 30 minutes after you finish a workout?  Also, are you in the first stages of your IM training?  I found it took a month or so to adapt to the constant training...I didn't really alter my calories in general eating (other than 60 days out I tried to eat very clean), but made sure I was getting enough in during training.
2007-12-01 9:50 PM
in reply to: #1078620

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills

Mimir98 - 2007-12-01 6:54 PM do you use some type of recovery product within 30 minutes after you finish a workout?  ...

That is a key question ... I've been told that after heavy exercise where you deplete a bit of your energy stores, your body flips the 'hunger switch' and sends the signal for more food.  As is often the case, there is a lag between ingesting enough calories and when the switch gets turned off - meaning you crave calories beyond the amounts you need.

The way to rectify this I was told is to ingest simple sugars within 30 minutes of completing exercise.  I followed that advice through my IM training and it worked well for me.

Note, however, you need more calories than you think.  Based upon my training volume and what it did for my metabolism, my coach estimated that I needed ~4000 cal/day ... an amount that I often had difficulty taking in.

That said, the craving for calories led to eating anything + everything - and more often than not the less healthy foods (favorites were gummy bears washed down with Coke).  Later, I found pre-made yogurt smoothies  (the protein and calcium of which was perfect to assist in recovery).

Good luck with your training.

2007-12-02 6:55 AM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

I'm opposite of what most are saying.  I do not eat anything at all in the morning before workouts unless it is a gel or a drink literally right before I start.

In my sports nutrition readings I have always read that anything in that window from 3 hours before to about 15 minutes before causes your digestion to divert too much blood/energy to handle it which in turn hurts your performance.  They say it is better to eat as you go or after you started as it will then process it in a way that is not as detrimental to your performance.

But then again, my body is use to that routine and I can go out and run a 20 miler or ride a century with nothing in the tank at the start.  But I have to eat a lot when I'm done and eat smart during the excercise or I bonk hard ..........

Edited by Daremo 2007-12-02 6:56 AM
2007-12-02 8:39 AM

Veteran
Newmarket, Suffolk
I am in the first stages of training- my plan started this week, and I am starting to feel a bit better this weekend.  I haven't been eating anything different as a recovery drink, etc, but just making sure I eat something as soon as possible after I'm done.  I'll start trying to focus on that-- it's a challenge sometime because I have to drive about 20 minutes to be able to get someplace to ride/run safely (thankfully we're moving in a month so it shouldn't be as much of an issue then).  Any suggestions on stuff to eat that's great for recovery and still portable? I've heard the chocolate milk thing, but I'm not a big chocolate fan...
2007-12-02 9:08 AM
in reply to: #1079096

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

I'd just make pasta and mix it with some nice olive oil and seasonings and put it in a tupperware type container.  Then after my workout I'd just eat it out of the container if I couldn't get home within that timeframe.

OJ is good as a recovery drink for electrolytes and carbs, but you need protein as well (4:1 or 3:1 depending on who you ask).  That's why I like the pasta.  Whole grain pasta seems to have a higher protein content so hits those ratios better.

2007-12-02 11:10 AM
in reply to: #1079031

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
Daremo - 2007-12-02 4:55 AM

I'm opposite of what most are saying.  I do not eat anything at all in the morning before workouts unless it is a gel or a drink literally right before I start.

In my sports nutrition readings I have always read that anything in that window from 3 hours before to about 15 minutes before causes your digestion to divert too much blood/energy to handle it which in turn hurts your performance.  They say it is better to eat as you go or after you started as it will then process it in a way that is not as detrimental to your performance.

But then again, my body is use to that routine and I can go out and run a 20 miler or ride a century with nothing in the tank at the start.  But I have to eat a lot when I'm done and eat smart during the excercise or I bonk hard ..........

X2 on eating mostly during exercise.

I do generally eat a normal size serving of oatmeal, bran cereal or other complex carb in the morning about an hour before a run or a ride starts. And I don't generally eat much even on the run.

I have to say I am amazed at the quantities of food some of my IM training buddies eat before, during, and after. If I ate as much as they did, I'd gain weight throughout my training.

Last spring I found from blood lactate testing that I also burn an good percentage of fat when I'm in Zone 1 (only 50% carbs) or Zone 2 (65% carbs) or even Zone 3 (about 80% carbs). My training coach is nearly 90% carbs in Zone 1 and goes up from there. So there's a real basis for why I don't need to eat as much on the run or ride as some of my friends.

I don't really do carb replacement after exercise because I don't feel depleted. I understand the basis for it, though, so perhaps it's something I should consider doing more especially after high intensity sessions.

Edited by brucemorgan 2007-12-02 11:12 AM
2007-12-02 2:08 PM

User image

Expert
When I was IM training I found some GREAT quinoa & corn pasta (the quinoa has a little more protien than regular pasta & it's gluten free!) and I would mix it with some wilted spinach, olive oil, salt & parm cheese - great for a recovery meal - I made a huge bowl every Sunday and munched on it all week. I am also a big fan of a bowl of cereal for my post workout snack.
2007-12-02 4:59 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member
I assume you are eating a clean, probably fairly low fat diet.  that said, Oils and fats contain more calories per gram than protien and carbs. Here are some easy additions:  #1 add olive oil.  Best oil you can have in your diet.  I cook an egg in it in the morning.  add to salads, vegies, and anything you can think of.  Dip bread in olive oil and spices.   Monosaturated oil is good for you.  #2 Nuts.   #3 dried fruit, plums, rasins, etc.  not a fat, but easy to eat, take anywhere, and fairly calorie dense.
2007-12-02 5:39 PM
in reply to: #1079096

User image

Champion
MA

sel166 - 2007-12-02 9:39 AM I am in the first stages of training- my plan started this week, and I am starting to feel a bit better this weekend. I haven't been eating anything different as a recovery drink, etc, but just making sure I eat something as soon as possible after I'm done. I'll start trying to focus on that-- it's a challenge sometime because I have to drive about 20 minutes to be able to get someplace to ride/run safely (thankfully we're moving in a month so it shouldn't be as much of an issue then). Any suggestions on stuff to eat that's great for recovery and still portable? I've heard the chocolate milk thing, but I'm not a big chocolate fan...

I sometimes travel to do my long bricks and after a 3-5 hours workout I need to eat now so I would pack a cooler and bring food to eat on the ride home. 

Yogurt is good...has almost right carb/protein blend and lots of flavors and works similar to chocolate mile.  Bananas, endurox is great but costs more but highly portable. Ideally you want simple sugar type things ie high glycemic so it digest quickly and helps refuel your depleted glycogen stores.

2007-12-06 6:07 AM

User image

Veteran
During my ironman training I kept to a 70% of calories from carbs, 20% from protein, and 10% from fat. If I got really hungry, an inch by two inch square peice of cheese with crackers often did the trick. (that's for base nutrition, doesn't include workout or post-workout nutrition)

I spent a lot of time looking at what I put in my body, and had my training and meal plan schedule a week in advence. I found that if you prep all your food before the week starts, you'll eat much better than if you need to make a meal after a workout. I lived on leftovers for a year.

Worked for me, but you'll find yourself eating all the time.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Training- What do you eat?? Rss Feed