Cayman Islands
hotF / 0C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 10m 30s
Overall Rank = 118/202
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 23/66
Pre-race routine:

Again, similar to the Dirty Bird Trail run, my pre-race routine was not the same as any in the past. I'm in a foreign land and there are others scurrying around while I'm trying to get ready as silently as possible. That's my way. Maybe not theirs. It doesn't matter. We were able to get to the race on time. I had a bagel with a banana and coffee, at least that part was normal.
Event warmup:

As usual, no warm up.
Run
  • 2h 10m 30s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

I hadn't run over 7 miles in a long time. Last weekend I did the Dirty Bird trail run which was 9.3. That was tough, so I thought jumping to 13.1 was going to be both tough & stupid. It was mentally tough. Once I hit the 10 mile mark I wanted to start picking people off. I knew I could run hard for 3 more miles, so I did, whether or not is was stupid to do so. As the day goes by and the stiffness sets in, I'm sure I will be kicking myself running the entire 13 miles. I just wasn't ready.
What would you do differently?:

UM...as far as how I approached everything in the race, nothing. I kept a conservative pace in the beginning. I didn't want to use all of my energy up so early in the race. I didn't train at all for this race and have covered close to the distance in a long time, so I was a bit concerned. Looking back on the race, aside from being stupid and doing the race, I think I handled everything well.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a little & waited for friends to finish. Drank water, iced hamstring, cheered some other runners on. Went back to condo, ate, and iced foot. I will rotate the icing from hamstring and foot throughout the day. I will also throw in a little stretching in there, too.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Totally not in shape for this. I think I did well, considering. I like that I finished this race running even though I was completely out of shape for it. I had to suck it up, and I like being tested like that occassionally ;-)

Event comments:

This is a great race. It's flat, if that's what you're looking for, and it's early to beat the heat of the sun. It's a small event, with a total of 500 people between all 4 events.

The only problem I have with this run is that it's in the dark. It starts in the dark, at least. It doesn't start getting light out until about 1:45 minutes into run, so for a long time you aren't looking at much. When the sun comes up, though, the views are spectacular.

Last updated: 2007-05-11 12:00 AM
Running
02:10:30 | 13.1 miles | 09m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/66
Overall: 118/202
Performance: Average
Course: This had to be the flattest course anywhere. I'm pretty sure there wasn't one single hill. This race started at 5 am, with most of the race in the dark, so you couldn't see too much on the first half of the course because of that. There were plenty of water stations throughout the course. I was amazed at how many, well over 13, I think. In any case, I can't see anyone dying for water on the course, even those sweating like crazy.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-12-02 7:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pa
Subject: Cayman Island 1/2 marathon

2007-12-02 1:25 PM
in reply to: #1079060

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: Cayman Island 1/2 marathon
Gosh I envy you so much. Running in the Caymans must have been great.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cayman Island 1/2 marathon Rss Feed