Space Coast Runners Club
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 23m 56s
Overall Rank = 563/967
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 56/77
Pre-race routine:

Banana and Cliff Bar Mojo and small cup of hotel room coffee (ugh!), got to the race about an hour before the start meet many fellow Marathonfest runners!
Event warmup:

None, which was probably a mistake thinking about how fast I started. While lining up for the race there was a good music and NASA space craft and space shots on the Jumbotron. Also the start was cool with a count down on the jumbotron of the spac shuttle.
Run
  • 2h 23m 56s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

I was shooting for a 2:05, but fell way short of the mark! I am still learning to use the features on the Garmin Forerunner 305, more on that later. I decided to try a 5 minute run and 1 minute walk for the 1/2 marathon. For marathon's I run 5 and and 1's, anything a half and under I usually just walk the water stops or whenever necessary at the end. Well this was a mistake, as I should have known from my less than stellar marathon performances! I set the FR305 to track my pace between an 8:30 and 8:45 with a distance of 13.1 miles. An 8:30 mile with a one minute walk would give me an average of 9:30. Well that darn watch kept beeping the whole race and my first mile was an 8:39. My second mile was closer to the target at a 9:26 and I averaged about a 9:30 all the way through mile 6. I could tell the wheels were coming off as we turned the course back for the return into the sun! The next 4 were steadily dropping. I have never walked so much in a half and never have felt bad so early. That darn FR305 was beeping the whole time and I couldn't figure out how to turn the annoying pace beep off! I am not sure if I'll try ever try 5 and 1's again for a half, my best half came when I trained with a group who ran two miles to water stops on any training run under 12 miles and did 5 and 1's on anything over 12 miles.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe not run 5 and 1's and practice the scenario on the Garmin prior to race!
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and then rested on the grass a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am guessing my long run training is not what it should be. I must not be pushing myself on the long runs. I always run 5 and 1's with the group on long runs!

Event comments:

Great half marathon! The pre-race dinner was very good and included in the price. There was good reviews for the guest speakers. The start and finish activities were wonderful. The course is small I can't imagine it holding much more runners than it did. It was pretty crowded at times.

Last updated: 2007-11-10 12:00 AM
Running
02:23:56 | 13.1 miles | 10m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 56/77
Overall: 563/967
Performance: Below average
Course: Great up and back course along the Indian River. Should of brought the sun glasses, the sun was a bit bright bouncing off the river on the return portion of the course. Some shade, but not a whole lot.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes