Juice Plus
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 32m 50s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 362/
Pre-race routine:

Spent the night with my cousin and his wife. Their house is in downtown memphis so it was a short drive to the race site. The night before we went to a sponsored dinner at the Target House, which is part of St. Jude hopsital where families stay. That was pretty great. The morning of we woke up, got dressed, and made our way to a parking garage and then to strbucks. I ate a clif bar and drnak half a cup of coffee. Made our way to the srat area. This was a corrall and wave start. We walked around a bit then made our way to our corrall.
Event warmup:

Streched a bit, walked from parking garage and then to starbucks then to race site. Mostly just stretched and tried not to get siked out by the other 9,999 people out there.
Run
  • 2h 32m 50s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

I was running with my cousin who is really more like my brother as we grew up together and even lived together a bit growing up. It was his first Half marry and he had not yet run that distance. I started out wanting to finish in 2;15 but found running with him more rewarding. Then about mile 2 or 3 he got bad blisters and skipped the aid station at mile 4 tinking they would not be a problem. But they began to hurt really bad so we had to walk a bit every other mile to ease his pain. Then our pace slowed. I had to pee at mile 8 1/2. We finally found anoter aid station at mile 10 1/2 so we stopped to have them wrap his foot. This took some time. Plus i was worrying about him because i could hear him wince in pain and when he wasnt doing that his ipod was so loud e couldnt hear me make comments or try to make idle chit chat. I like the idle chit chat, it passes the time.
After that it was good exceppt it had been mentally challenging the whole time and all teh walk breaks kinda threw me off and messed up my concetnration. Therefore, i started feeling the pain at mile 11 in my legs and could not ignore it at that point. I siked myself out and my pace slowed even more. Mile 12 was very painful! But then i saw Greg cuz he was like lightning and had been done for aout 30 minutes and he cheered us on. That gave me some motivation.
All in all, i feel like i did the right thing waiting for my cousin. It was a special expereince for me running with him and we got to cross the finish line together. I hope it is a good picture.:)
What would you do differently?:

I think for this race i would not have done anything differently. I feel great about this race and my run performance. But maybe could have just walked a bit less and did a very slow jog to stay with my cousin.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around looking for greg. Then went to the hospitality suite for Juice Plus and got a beer! It was sooooo good. Stayed there for a bit then walked to the car. We had Barbecue lunch after that!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My conscience.

Event comments:

This race was extremely well organized and supported. There were tons of volunteers and water stations. Although only one station with GU. At mile 12 they ran out of cups so we had to use our hands or re-use other cups. That was gross. Otherwise it was aweseom. I loved finishing inside Autozone park. I will definitly do this race again.

Last updated: 2007-06-18 12:00 AM
Running
02:32:50 | 13.1 miles | 11m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Course: The course was awesome! It started in downtown next to Autozone park. Snaked its way down tot eh river front, up to Beale street, through some neighborhoods, along major roads, through Overton park and back into Autozone park for the finish. This course was like running through my childhood. every other mile i saw some place i either lived or hung out at. It was a nostalgic expereince for me.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-12-02 7:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Roswell, GA
Subject: St. Jude Memphis Half-Marathon

2007-12-02 8:53 PM
in reply to: #1079761

User image

Master
Woodstock
Subject: RE: St. Jude Memphis Half-Marathon
Great job! Thanks for talking me into this race, really an awesome setup (especially the sponsor hookups) You looked great coming across the finish line. Way to get Cory to the finish line! I can't wait to see how your 2008 shapes up! 
2007-12-03 7:41 AM

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Way to go! You rock! That was awesome of you to stay with your cousin, I would have done the same thing. There will be lots more races but only a handful that you can do with family. Hopefully this experience won't turn him off of running completely -- blisters suck! Nice work and you'll be ready to rock ING in March!
2007-12-03 7:42 AM

User image

Master

Getting a PR is great and all but running a race with a friend/loved one is special too.  I ran Peachtree with Ninja.  Although I could have gone off and tried to PR myself, finishing with her by my side is a memory I will always have (more so than some PR). 

Great job.

2007-12-03 9:53 AM

User image

Expert
Marietta, GA
Sometimes a PR is not the point of a race - it sounds like a good decision in this case. Great job finishing your 2nd Half Marathon! I hope your race picture turned out great!!
2007-12-09 2:42 PM

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Congratulations, Jamie!  You finished strong and helped your cousin cross that finish line and you will both always hold that dear.  Like others said, there are tons of races you'll do but very few will afford you the opportunity to race side by side with a family member.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Jude Memphis Half-Marathon Rss Feed