United States
48F / 9C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 20m 49s
Overall Rank = 3455/6000
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 258/320
Pre-race routine:

Drove into Memphis Friday night. Picked up the packet and met some friends downtown at Big Foot Lodge, where they had an all you can eat spaghetti special. I missed not getting the bbq eggrolls, but that wouldn't have been pretty the next day.

I finished off a gatorade, some water, and got to bed around 10. Woke up a little before six, took a long warm shower, ate a granola bar. Drove downtown to a friends apartment and did some stretching at her place. Her room mate had to go to work, so she dropped us off right at Autozone Park, which was nice.
Event warmup:

I just kept stretching, went to the bathroom once. They had a ton of port-a-pots and I didn't even have to wait in a line. I maybe ran about .2 a mile to get loose. I'm a bad runner, I prefer the water or a bike, so the first mile or two were going to be my warmup.
Run
  • 2h 20m 49s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

A bit hillier than I remember Memphis being. Any steep hills were really just some short risers, so they didn't last that long. The entire course was rolling, for the most part. Long steady inclines followed by a long steady decline. I had trained in my neighborhood, which may be the flattest place on earth, so it was a challenging for me, but not unbearable by any means.

The route was great. The weather was perfect so running down Riverside Drive, you had a great view of the Mississippi River and the I-40 bridge. There were people everywhere downtown cheering for you, bands and other performers were all over the place (big thanks to the belly dancers at mile 11). We ran through some neighborhoods and it looked like some of the people had decided to set up their own entertainment for you in their front yards. It was pretty cool to run down Poplar, which is a very busy main road heading east out of downtown. We had two lanes to run in, so traffice was pretty much at a stand still, but most of the motorist were hanging out of their cars cheering you on. The only spot were there were really no spectators was a cut through road in Overton Park, and it was kind of nice having about a mile of quiet, tree lined path to sort of gather your thoughts for the final push.

A very enjoyable but challenging run for me.
Post race
Warm down:

The post race in Autozone was great. A little packed, but doable. The beer line was really long when I finally finished, so I grabbed two slices of pizza, a bagel, and some water. I had a friend with an apartment across the street, so I went and showered there.

To warm down, I pretty much just sorta walked around, did some stretching, ate a cheeseburger, and had two beers at Jillians. The best part about this race is that when you finish, you are in a fun downtown area.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I had a sinus infection during my week long taper, which couldn't have helped very much. I really haven't been concentrating on the run to much, and this was the first half-marathon of about 3 or 4 I plan on doing this winter to get a good running base for a Half Ironman.

Event comments:

They ran out of water at the mile 6 stop. It had me worried, but every other station had plenty. I'm not sure what happened there. Other than that, the entire day was very, very fun.

Last updated: 2007-12-03 12:00 AM
Running
02:20:49 | 13.1 miles | 10m 45s  min/mile
Age Group: 258/320
Overall: 3455/6000
Performance: Good
Course: Somewhat hilly (rolling) route through down town Memphis and out to Overton Park.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-12-03 9:10 AM

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS
Subject: St. Jude Memphis Half-Marathon

2007-12-04 9:20 PM
in reply to: #1080216

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: St. Jude Memphis Half-Marathon

Beer?  I missed the BEER?  How is that possible?  Congrats on a nice race!  Memphis is hilly.  

I need to check for other BT'ers before heading to an out of town race next time! 

2007-12-05 12:07 AM
in reply to: #1080216

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Jude Memphis Half-Marathon Rss Feed