General Discussion Race Reports! » 25th Annual (2007) California International Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

25th Annual (2007) California International Marathon - RunMarathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Folsom, California
United States
40'sF / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 2704/4743
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 159/220
Pre-race routine:

Got at 5 am, ate some cereal and granola with a cytomax. Streched at home for about 15 min before leaving.
Event warmup:

Streached once more before the start had a can of diet coke for my caffine fix and went to the little boys room.
Run
  • 4h 13m 35s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Start went well I was extreamly concerned leading up to the race because I had only allowed about 2 1/2 months training and injured my IT band. I started faster than planned but being my first marathon I was going to let my legs make the pace and not my head. After about 11 miles my right quad was trobing with every plant. I slowed my pace a little and it stayed managable unit a misplaced step onto a relfector in the road realy tweeked my left foot. Ran the next five miles of so favoring the left foot so much that my right quad began taking a beating. By mile twenty I was so happy to see my family cheering me on. I grabbed a bottle of cytomax and a few clif shots and off I went. That realy helped me focus on finishing. From mile 22 on my legs and feet were starting to give I once again slowed this time to an embarasing pace but I refused to walk, partly because I was afraid I would be able to run again. Once I made it to sutter cancer center I realized my pain wasnt that bad and I could keep going. I took off my headphones to enjoy the wonderfull crowd the rest of the way. Seeing the finish and my family was a welcome site. I can honestly say I had a great time and I am proud to now be a marathon finisher.
What would you do differently?:

Train longer, since this was a race I added late in the year and was underestamating the task i did not allow enough time to properly train.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked as best as I could for a while and recaped the race with my family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my injuries and my training. my training is what got me injured and jeapordized the entire race

Event comments:

A great race not that I have any other marathon experince. The hardest thing I have ever done and I enjoyed all of the pain and the cheering. This was my first marathon but certanly not my last.

Last updated: 2007-12-01 12:00 AM
Running
04:13:35 | 26.2 miles | 09m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 159/220
Overall: 2704/4743
Performance: Good
169 avg 203 max, was unable to bring my heart rate under control the entire race. I was concerned when pace dropped and HR didnt. With the givin pace it should have been much lower
Course: First half very hilly, mabe net down hill but thats had to convince my legs of. Second half pretty falt there wer some small inclines but not like the first half.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-12-03 3:30 PM

User image

Regular
Northern California
Subject: 25th Annual (2007) California International Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 25th Annual (2007) California International Marathon Rss Feed